Long Distance Telephone Calling Cards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
Hi All:

Does anyone know about prepaid long distance telephone calling cards? My mom has limited phone service and doesn't make many long distance calls, so she cancelled the service. However, she still likes to talk to her brother in Florida (she's in Ohio). I know there are scams out there, so what would be a good company to buy from, and what would be the average per-minute charge? Thanks for your help!!

Jan

Muzzlet: When I lived in Canada, I used to phone England, Mexico and Colombia, I choosed and bought different cards, as I discover that all of them are different, you just have to ask the vendor which one gives you the best rate. Example: In the store of a person from Asia (India) they generally have better deals for India that from a person that sells cards for South America. They generally have lists of the prices/per minute to every country, so please, COMPARE PRICES FIRST....then buy it!
Good luck!!

We use a Pre Paid card from one of the members discount clubs, the are sold 1200 min for 3.96 cents per min anytime any day. I think they are great if you don't mind punching in multiple numbers to make a call. Keep in mind that they have penalties for in state calls.
Cin

When James lived in Iowa we used a lot of phone cards (we once talked for about 15 hours straight--well, we were on the phone, but it included short breaks--if we had hung up we would have lost a lot of the time on the card), and we always bought really cheap ones. We only had trouble with one (the company went out of business), but we had no problems with most of them. We found cards that let us talk for a penny a minute. We always talked a long time, so we got our money's worth. They weren't good for short conversations, as they had small connection fees. Those fees took a big bite out if you tried to use it a lot, but not if you just stayed on the phone. The last time we bought a card was last year, for someone else. I think it was something like 5 cents a minute, and it worked fine.

:)Barbara

I second the thing about shopping around. DH and I used to use them when he was in Italy and I was in UK. Soeties the same makes of card even have slightl different times on them, and as for 15 hour calls, it does work out cheaper to have long calls than short ones!

Boy...I used to be an operator for those cards but can't remember the prices and that was way back when they first came around in the mid 90's!

I second the thing about shopping around. DH and I used to use them when he was in Italy and I was in UK. Soeties the same makes of card even have slightl different times on them, and as for 15 hour calls, it does work out cheaper to have long calls than short ones!
That's why we wouldn't hang up even if one of us had to run and cook supper or take a short nap, etc. :cool: Of course, all our calls weren't that long, but if we were both off that day, we did that. It was a lot easier to just marry him! :LOL:

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom