"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
Cook

Good Lord Bigjim, there's enough there for a stampede!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Master Chef

We live in deer heaven here in Culpeper, VA. And while I may shake my fist at them when they munch on things they shouldn't, I can't help but admire them as well. There are a few that we even recognize from year to year - until they disappear, most likely during the hunting season.

This year we have a lovely doe who has produced - for the first time since we've lived here - triplet fawns. They are SO adorable & tons of fun to watch jumping & playing in the yard. And then we have a favorite doe who, for the past 2 years has kept her fawn hidden during the daylight hours right up next to our house. (She must know we keep our dogs leashed when they're outside - lol!). I always have to be careful when I go out to work outside that I don't surprise them. Have no desire to be on that tv show - "When Animals Attack" - lol. Does can be quite nasty re: their offspring being disturbed.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Head Chef

I live in a subdivision of around 250 acres surrounded by a 7500 acre state park. The deer have nothing to fear, and so have multiplied out of control. When I moved here in 1992, there were about a third of what there are now, and single fawn were the norm. Now, twins are standard, and triplets are common. The subdivision has all over 1 acre lots, a lake, lots of green ways, no enemies, and we grow lots of exotic food for them. They are reaching the point that there are more than the area can handle. The herd that hangs around my place is one of several in the neighborhood.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

Lol! I also thought you had found a grill! Didn't notice the deer and after looking closely they looked like dogs to me. Think I might be due for new contact lenses!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Executive Chef

What beautiful creatures! My sister lives in Union Bridge Maryland, and she sends me pics like that of deer feeding in her yard. Here in Florida, all I get are armadillos!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
So sweet!

We have tons of deer near us, but I've never seen one in our yard. Too many dogs on our road I think. Our neighbors probably see some because their property goes right up to the woods.
They LOOK sweet, but they'll eat your whole garden. That's not so sweet...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Master Chef

Never had deer in my back yard but we've had some monkeys. We have cows walking down our street each morning too and the bells wake us up and goats and chickens all over the place..lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Head Chef

What ChefJune said. I don't want those hooved locusts in my yard. I like to watch them, but I want them in the woods, where they belong. Ditto for those cute little bunnies and squirrels.

Luckily, my dogs have free run of the place, and I don't see deer around the house much--maybe 2 or 3 times since I moved here.

I do hear the coyotes--love to hear them sing. (But my dogs are too big to be coyote food.)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Hooved locusts. lol
I'll have to remember that term.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I do hear the coyotes--love to hear them sing. (But my dogs are too big to be coyote food.)
We can hear coyotes nightly around here.. but my behemoth of a dog is more than those coyotes would be able to handle. He's a beast.