"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMustard View Post
We can hear coyotes nightly around here.. but my behemoth of a dog is more than those coyotes would be able to handle. He's a beast.
One on one, it's true that a large dog can fight off a single coyote. I had a basset hound in Nevada that was missing for two days. When he finally made it home, his back, along the spine, was cut about 12 inches and all the way to the bone. Full of maggots and that was what saved him. The vet cleaned the wound and sewed him up. Told me the cut was a combination of wounds from coyotes. Must have been a pack of them. I can only imagine that he probably killed several of them to get away. The Vet said it was a miracle that he survived it. Even a huge dog can be taken down by a full pack of coyotes. It must have been a terrifying experience for him.

You might enjoy his name. When he was a puppy, everyone who came over, would say; "He looks like a..."

His brass name tag said; "Thaddeus J.P. Rockefeller, esquire, junior the 1st" (If found, please call...)

He answered to "Thad J"

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMustard View Post
We can hear coyotes nightly around here.. but my behemoth of a dog is more than those coyotes would be able to handle. He's a beast.
Yes, so is mine, but it is a different story when they are outnumbered and tied to a chain. They can't manouver or flee. My in-laws neighbour lost a huge German shepard this way. Grizzly scene. I'm not taking any chances.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

A few years ago at a house up the road the owner went out when he heard his little dog yelping and saw it in the mouth of a coyote. The coyote dropped the dog, circled his barn and layed down in the shadows, still watching. Very opportunistic critters.
The reason I set my game camera back up is because the next door neighbor saw a huge one out back last week. They no longer yelp at night like they used to, but they are still around. I'm hoping to get a pic of it.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
Master Chef

This year was a bumper year for deer here in town. I didn't have my latest dog yet, and one winter day a smallish doe just moved in for the afternoon. We live near the middle of town and really have nothing for them to eat in the winter (I don't really believe in feeding wildlife except birds) and our yard is just medium and mostly fenced in. She just came in and napped, ate a little wild phlox, then moved on to join her herd. As much as I enjoy seeing them, I really don't like them to be so far into town when the roads are so slick. It isn't a big town, but we do have our share of people with large trucks and SUVs (thank heaven the hummer fad seems to have passed) and little brains who don't think slowing down to something resembling the speed limit applies to them.

the other day we were out in the country and saw a doe with two gangly legged little fawn. Husband stopped to let them collect themselves, but the fawns ran off on one side of the road, and the doe ran in the other (opposite sides of the road). We just hope they managed to find each other.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #25
Master Chef

The deer population in the city got so bad last year the Governmnet had a special force created to shut them, the deer I mean.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Yes, so is mine, but it is a different story when they are outnumbered and tied to a chain. They can't manouver or flee. My in-laws neighbour lost a huge German shepard this way. Grizzly scene. I'm not taking any chances.
I've got my dog on an invisible fence deal.. still, I wouldn't allow him to be out if I heard the coyotes around. He's huge but a big pansy. Lab/Dane mix.

What's that you say? You want to see a picture? Sure!
This is him at 11 months, 75 lbs. Now he's 14 months, 90lbs and still slim.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aww, what a sweet pup!