Looking for editors and editorial reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I believe that we have a few editors in DC.
With that in mind, how do I find a reputable editor and obtain editorial reviews? One of my novels is, I believe, ready to be looked at by a pro-editor, though I will have to find a way to pay for one. I am not interested in vanity publishing, but want to self-publish on Barnes & Noble. The story is one of three completed works in a sci-fy series. After the third novel of the series, it became obvious that this story can be a continuing saga of at least a few more novels. I have proof-read each of the written works at least four times, trying each time to trim out needed verbiage, while still providing feature rich worlds and characters for the reader.

I am dead serious about getting published, but need help in this process. Any advise will be appreciated.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Are you also going to publish on Amazon?
Now what are you wanting?
An editor to go over your book?
Or people to review your book as is?
An editorial review is usually praise for your book.

Chief,
Has anyone else set eyes on your book?
Do not take this personally but every professional self published author I know hire editors and proofreaders just to catch the little mistakes your eyes will miss.
When I get on my facebook tomorrow, I will ask my author friends for recommendations.
I do know one right off hand.
Try Donna Rich. She is good and very reasonable.

I think GotGarlic, Medtran, and CWS have all done editing.

Last edited:
Hey Chief,
If you are really serious and I bet you are here are the two gurus of the self-published world.
JA Konrath and Russell Blake. Let me get you their blogs.
Here is Joe's.
A Newbie's Guide to Publishing
Here is Russell's.
Russell Blake
Another blog you might want to check out since you are Science Fiction is Hugh Howey.
David Dalglish is another good Science Fiction indie.

Oh forget this. If you have Facebook, just send me a friend request and look at my friends. There are at least 30 authors all making bank that are friends of mine.

I read a lot of Konrath, he has some interesting stuff, although not for the squeamish. Bet he'd be a good resource.

Last edited:
I was referring to his blog. Not the only book that ever gave me nightmares.

Good stuff, en't it! I snap up all of his stuff that I can. Lots are cheap or free on Kindle app. He often co-writes with Blake Crouch and another guy. Crouch wrote the Wayward Pines books and TV series.

Last edited:
Hugh Howey is a good resource, he started out publishing online and then went to print. Plus he writes darn good stories.

Good stuff, en't it! I snap up all of his stuff that I can. Lots are cheap or free on Kindle app. He often co-writes with Blake Crouch and another guy. Crouch wrote the Wayward Pines books and TV series.
If you are thinking of Jack Kilborn, that is a pen name.
Have you read Serial Killers Uncut yet?
I remember when he came up with the idea to combine with other authors characters on a bigger scale.

Back story on JA. He was one of the first ones I discovered when I got my first tablet. About a year later, he did an advertising chat on a forum that I hung out at.
I decided to be a fan girl. Run into chat, say hi I'm a fan, run back out.
What happened was him and the other authors in there started asking me my opinion as a reader about the book promotion emails. 2 hours later I had made some friends and finally left chat.

No, it's a third guy. I'll have to look it up on my Kindle. Love the Jack Daniels series, as well as all the other somewhat disgusting books from these guys! The notes at the end of the books are always amusing.

No, it's a third guy. I'll have to look it up on my Kindle. Love the Jack Daniels series, as well as all the other somewhat disgusting books from these guys! The notes at the end of the books are always amusing.
Jude Hardin?
Iain Robb Wright?
Anne Voss Peterson?
Tracy Sharp?
Those all come to mind.

Last edited:
Drat. No. It's another one of their buddies. They all make fun of each other when they collaborate.

I did read Serial. All their books are not for the faint of heart.

Any of their books that I've read have great editing, unlike some other self-published e-books. Tess Gerritson might also be a good resource for an editor. She's written the Rizzole and Isles TV series along with her books, but very nice and approachable.

Last edited:
I think GotGarlic, Medtran, and CWS have all done editing.

Yep, 5 days a week, all day. That's my job. I read various fanfiction.net genres for fun (fluff basically) and it just kills me when I see bad spelling, grammar, misused words, etc.

Last edited:
I've read a bunch of Stephen King, nearly all of Dean Koontz except for last couple of years, Anne Rice's various series, Harry Turtledove, Anne McCaffrey's various series, a bunch of Romance SciFy off the charts writers, George R.R. Martin, Tolkien, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Clive Cussler (Craig got me into that one), Allister MacLean (Craig again), plus a bunch of other classic SciFy, including Asimov, over the years. In last few years, I tend to read fluff just because what I deal with daily is pretty serious and heavy, and I just want to relax when I'm reading for fun. You'd be amazed at the range of what's in my Kindle library.

Last edited:
Hmm. Chief, sounds like Medtran might be a good choice.

I'd offer, but I have the attention span of a gnat. Oh, squirrel!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom