Losing Priceless things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I don't really know whether I should talk about this or not, but its relevant, and you guys are family so here goes.

I've been living in a weird situation with my Mom's descent into Alzheimer's land this last 18 months - 2 years. In the last year we had a family member and her husband move in to help care for Mom. Long story short, they were BAD people and stole a LOT from my poor Mom. There is now a restraining order, and the authorities had to come to remove them from Mom's house. It was icky. Mom is OK, she is now moved into an assisted living place and is beginning to adjust. Thats the back story.

While moving Mom this week I discovered the latest nastiness. And really, it is something pretty minor in light of all the priceless antiques and china that were stolen from my Mom. The (bad word) took all my Mom's recipes. ALL of them. Every recipe box, every book that wasn't hidden...gone. There were recipes from 1919, and irreplaceable "family" recipes in Mom's boxes. I'm so angry I could just smack her from here to eternity. The worst part is that I know she won't USE them, just smile smugly because none of US can use them. ARGH. The only small bright spot is that I'd borrowed a couple of old cookbooks of my Gram's (1929 and 1935) to peruse them, so I still have those at least.

Can you believe that? The perfidy of some people!

Last edited:
That is low and unconscionable. Even worse that it's a member of the family!

So sorry this happened, Alix. Those recipes were a way for you to remember your Mom and your earlier years.

Alix,
I'm so sorry you had to deal with people like that while caring for your mom. And I know from experience that it's even worse when it's family that does those awful things. Enjoy those few cookbook's you do have and I pray that someday somehow those others will find their way back to you.

Alix, that must be heartbreaking. Not only are you losing your mom but things that remind you of the good times. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish there was a way I could help besides posting here.

Dear Alix, I am so sorry you are having yet one more issue to deal with, one so nasty. I hope their bad karma gives them a swift bite in the butts;)

stuff like this makes it hard for me to "practice compassion":(

Alix,
the advice given is really the best for all of you. But remember the most priceless thing you have is your mother. Hold her close Alix, the other stuff are just things.
cj

Sorry to hear this Alix.... nobody should have to go thru something like that, especially at the hand of a "family member"
:(

Thanks Alix!

I am sorry to hear that your so called family members Have taken a heart breaking situation to new and unneeded lows.I do'nt know what to say because that sort of selfishness and greed makes me very angry.Thank you for venting to us.I do'nt know about all of that positive energy stuff but I am wishing you well.Cherish your time with mom,stay positive and everything will be fine no matter what happens.Take care.

I don't understand how they can take things just because they moved in to help take care of her. They aren't family. How can they get away with that?!

That's un-believable Alix. They shouldn't feel too smug though because they'll get their karma eventually. I hope your mom was neither affected nor hurt by their unscrupulous betrayal of your family's trust.

Thanks everyone. You warmed my heart when I was feeling really low and crappy. I am feeling better about everything now. Mom is feeling settled and happy in her new place, and she doesn't know about the recipe perfidy thankfully.

We do have a lawyer and we are dealing with all the monetary things that have been stolen, but its really a no win situation. Gotta find 'em (they've disappeared and every bill collector in the world is looking for them), and once you DO find them, you have to PROVE they stole everything. And no one really cares about recipes (except me).

Thanks for letting me vent a bit. I feel better sharing that. You guys really do understand it all. {{{{{{{{{{{{{DC Family}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I really feel for you. We went through Alzheimer's and Parkinson's with my husband's parents, but we were overseas in the military. The resultant problems were very hurtful, although luckily not to the degree you're going through. I wish you the best.

What did your attorney advise you to do?????

I agree with Uncle Bob. I would hire a lawyer and see what -- not just the recipes -- can possibly be retrieved. And if not, I would send them to the hoose-gow. I don't care if they ARE family. REAL family would never do that.

Back
Top Bottom