"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Executive Chef

As Greg says..."I wouldn't invite a date over for dinner until we had dined out several times". And if it were me on the other end, I wouldn't feel comfortable going to someone's house until I knew them a little better too.

Home Dining seems more intimate and may be viewed as a step forward in a dating relationship. So, getting to know them better on several levels is important, including their tastes in food or drink.

That said, since I want to make something they like, I would also look at things I know how to cook. At this stage in my life I am not afraid to try out new dishes I have never made. My confidence level has not always been this well established. I would also consider foods that can be prepared ahead, oven- baked and / or require very few last minute preparations. If that is not possible, then I would put them to work, like assembling the salad or cutting the bread, so that we were both busy.

Also I think KISS -- Keep it simple is a good idea. This last point is an important Self- Reminder for me. Not just if this were dating. I tend to go over-board sometimes, if one ingredient is good, More are Better. Now,we all know it is important not to loose sight of the main flavor profile of the main part of the meal. What I sometimes find (just in personal cooking) is there are too many layers. You don't have to make Everything you know how to do the first time they come to dinner. You want dinner to be good, as welll as Good Enough that they will want to come back again.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Whiskadoodle: Kiss !

Good Afternoon,

Brilliant wise advice ...

K i s s = Keep It Simply Simple ...

Cool thread and thanks for all the feedback.

Margi.