Love Lorn Bachelors & Single Ladies Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Morning,

This question had come to mind, when a blogging D.C. member had told me, of his woes with the opposite sex ... and though it was humorous in context, it has been the prime stimuli for this thread ... So here it is:

What advice would you give a single ( or widowed or divorced ) friend in reference to: preparing a 1st dinner for a new possible friend / mate ?

Firstly, I would select lunch hour, as this is less intimidating for most singles ... especially if they do not really know you that well.

The next item is, I would never prepare an Indian native dish for an Indian for example from India ... I would however, ask this person, to show me, how they prepare this dish, and do it together ! This opens a whole new door of communicating ...

I think most people feel quite awkard in someone´s home for the 1st time ...

I truly look forward to hearing from all of you, in regards to, advice that you have or would have given to friends or relatives that are single living in their lifestyle; for the Love Lorn Singles !

:yum: Margi.

Last edited:
My advice would be to make something you're already good at. Not only is that less stress for you, but you know you'll have a good dish.

Think about how it was when you tried a new recipe. How many times did you have to make it before you got it to come out the way you really liked.

Good Morning Zhizara,

Right on, I totally agree with you Zhizara ... I would never create a first timer dish ... A dish that you make which is your repertoire, and that is elegant and relatively simple ... You do not wish to be in Kitch while your guest is alone in salon !

Thanks for feedback.
Have nice wkend.
Margi.

I've had the pleasure of cooking for my late husband and Glenn before we married and, fortunately, all went well.

My best advice is to listen carefully and attentively to determine what things the "target" likes/dislikes. That's where your game plan should begin. Once you've figured that out, go for it.

As has already been said, prepare something you are confident cooking and something you are pretty certain will be well-received and go for it. Your meal should be a slam dunk.

Katie H.: Good Advice

Good Afternoon Katie,

This is exemplary advice. I am in total agreement.

Furthermore, I believe if two people are " Dating " or seeing one another, it is " quite normal " that they should discuss gastronomy A to Z, oenology ( wines or what beverages they enjoy ), Chefs, and restaurants, as part of an interesting yet very normal conversation ... :)

For example, how does one know if one is carnivorious or a vegetarian ? This is basic conversation when one asks one to dine out at a restaurant ... Some people like Asian and others No or Greek or whatever.

Otherwise, it can be disasterous to go dine out at a stunning steak house restaurant with a vegan for example ...

Communications are the key !

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

I was lucky, I worked in a sandwich shop when I met Shrek, I already knew what types of food he ate. His first sandwich was a 12" roast beef, provolone, horseradish, lettuce, tomatoes and onion with French Onion Soup and a Schooner of beer.

I didn't have to go through the food phase.

I think what is most important is that their sense of humor matches yours.

Last edited:
I wouldn't invite a date over for dinner until we had dined out several times. Food and cooking are important interests to me and would have doubtless already come up many times on dates. I doubt I would find a relationship with somebody who is not interested in food. Before the home cooked dinner I would discuss the menu and there would be no surprises on what's served. And of course I would cook one of what I call my "signature" dishes, it would be very rash to cook an untested recipe.

I enjoy socializing with my company while I'm cooking. It's not fun for the chef or the company if the company sits in the living room and the chef cooks alone. I usually follow the mise en place technique ("putting in in place" or "everything in place"), just like the TV chefs with their little dishes. I premeasure and organize all the dishes before my company arrives so that I can focus on entertaining my guest or guests rather than be preoccupied by finding and measuring ingredients. Done well this comes off just like a TV cooking program and is much more enjoyable for both chef and guests.

BTW I started the mise en place technique when I became really enthusiastic about Asian cuisine (Thai, Chinese) when it's amost necessary because once you start cooking it's not unusual for things to happen very rapidly, and if you have to hunt down, prepare (chop, etc.) and measure ingredients you're likely to have your dinner get away from you and get spoiled.

Last edited:
Princess Fiona,

Excellent point, sense of humor ! You had a head start working in a restaurant where Shrek would come in and order ... Detail oriented ... Intelligent woman ... You paid attention ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

As Greg says..."I wouldn't invite a date over for dinner until we had dined out several times". And if it were me on the other end, I wouldn't feel comfortable going to someone's house until I knew them a little better too.

Home Dining seems more intimate and may be viewed as a step forward in a dating relationship. So, getting to know them better on several levels is important, including their tastes in food or drink.

That said, since I want to make something they like, I would also look at things I know how to cook. At this stage in my life I am not afraid to try out new dishes I have never made. My confidence level has not always been this well established. I would also consider foods that can be prepared ahead, oven- baked and / or require very few last minute preparations. If that is not possible, then I would put them to work, like assembling the salad or cutting the bread, so that we were both busy.

Also I think KISS -- Keep it simple is a good idea. This last point is an important Self- Reminder for me. Not just if this were dating. I tend to go over-board sometimes, if one ingredient is good, More are Better. Now,we all know it is important not to loose sight of the main flavor profile of the main part of the meal. What I sometimes find (just in personal cooking) is there are too many layers. You don't have to make Everything you know how to do the first time they come to dinner. You want dinner to be good, as welll as Good Enough that they will want to come back again.

Back
Top Bottom