Love rock--FOUND!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Sixty-three years ago on March 27th, my parents got married. In the fall of 1974, they went to San Diago, camping on the way out and back. On the way back, they camped at Grand Teton National Park. While my Mom was cleaning up their breakfast dishes, my Dad took a walk along the lakeshore. He spotted an interesting rock and picked it up. Once my Mom was done with putting everything away, she also went for a walk along the lakeshore to meet up with my Dad. She too spotted an interesting rock. The piece my Dad picked up and the one my Mom picked up fit together perfectly. This "rock" has been tied together with a piece of fat red yarn forever. Wouldn't you know it, he wanted to share the story on their anniversary, but the rock was GONE. The homecare person who does the cleaning found it today--it was in Mom's shoe rack. What? Why? Who knows, but my Dad is thrilled that the "rock" (we call it the Love rock) has been found. As am I--I love that story and that rock means a lot to me.

I have had this idea that should I be about to speak, I would tell this story at Mom's/Dad's memorial service. I always planned to have the rock with me. So I have two things that are worth more than anything--a letter my Mom wrote to me in 1997 before she had her artificial heart valve surgery and this rock. Those 600-300 yr old antiques with providence--those are nice too, but I love the Love rock and the letter from my Mom.

I so adore a good Love Story. This time put that rock where you will know where it is. Give Mon and Dad a hug for me. Sounds like they both deserve it.

Did you let your mother know it you found it? Dad sure must have been happy.

I so adore a good Love Story. This time put that rock where you will know where it is. Give Mon and Dad a hug for me. Sounds like they both deserve it.

Did you let your mother know it you found it? Dad sure must have been happy.
Mom Knows, and Dad is thrilled. I want it in the safe deposit box with the original copy of the letter she wrote me. For now, it is back where it always was on the bookcase. And, my Dad apologized to my deceased brother's spirit--he blamed him for getting rid of it. Most likely, while my bro was taking care of Mom while Dad was having his cancer treatment, she put it there because she was still mobile....who knows. Who knows what else I will find squirreled away.

Mom Knows, and Dad is thrilled. I want it in the safe deposit box with the original copy of the letter she wrote me. For now, it is back where it always was on the bookcase. And, my Dad apologized to my deceased brother's spirit--he blamed him for getting rid of it. Most likely, while my bro was taking care of Mom while Dad was having his cancer treatment, she put it there because she was still mobile....who knows. Who knows what else I will find squirreled away.

For their next anniversary, try to find out what they ate that special night. Then repeat the meal and put the rock on the table sitting on a cut out heart.

That is such a sweet family story, CW. :heart: You can always set a price on an antique with provenance, but there is no cash value for something as meaningful as your parents' Love Rock.

...Who knows what else I will find squirreled away.
Brace yourself. You never know. My SIL and I got a few surprises when cleaning out Dad's stuff after he died. :shock: :blush: :brows:

That is such a sweet family story, CW. :heart: You can always set a price on an antique with provenance, but there is no cash value for something as meaningful as your parents' Love Rock.

Brace yourself. You never know. My SIL and I got a few surprises when cleaning out Dad's stuff after he died. :shock: :blush: :brows:
I love that story. Yup, that kind of memento is priceless.

When my sister and I went through my mum's stuff, we found French francs, Deutsche marks, and some other currencies. But, those countries use Euros. You can't even exchange them at the bank. You have to be in the country of issue and find a bank that will exchange it.

Wonderful, may I add it to my collection of stories from the elderly? I have a small volume of Love Stories I get from my patients.

Wonderful, may I add it to my collection of stories from the elderly? I have a small volume of Love Stories I get from my patients.
Yes! My parents didn't have a manual on how to raise kids, they did their best. One thing I have never doubted is their profound love for one another and that they loved us best. I can send you a picture of the rock!

The shore was not sand, it was shale. There were hundreds, no thousands of rocks. My Dad put his piece in his pocket. Mom didn't pick her piece up anywhere near where Dad found his piece. He says that it was a miracle they each picked up a piece of the same rock from all the rocks along the shoreline. I agree.

I spent hours walking their property, looking at the rocks off their dock, trying to find it. I figured my brother got mad at my Dad and threw it in the lake. So glad that wasn't true.

Yes! My parents didn't have a manual on how to raise kids, they did their best. One thing I have never doubted is their profound love for one another and that they loved us best. I can send you a picture of the rock!

I do believe we all would love to see the picture.

You never know what makes a happy marriage when you start out. I had a very young neighbor who was contemplating a divorce. They had only been married a couple of years and had no kids. One day when my sister was at my home, I told her about my neighbor. It seem her husband was not the kind of husband material she was looking for. Now my sister was never one to keep her nose out of the business of other people. So when she saw my neighbor sitting on her porch, my sister meandered over and started to talk to her. As they were talking, my sister told her the following story.

It seems she too wanted a divorce, even though they had four children. She wasn't happy. So she decided to tell him that night when he got home from hunting. Come dark and he still wasn't home. In fact he never came home. He was accidently shot by another hunter.

Not a single word of that story was true. She was happily married and he had never gone hunting in his life. But last year I got an invitation to my neighbor's 45th wedding anniversary. That is one time I was glad my sister stuck her nose where it didn't belong.

Would love the picture. Thanks, CWS!

That is absolutely wonderful... :)

I'd love to see a photo of that rock too, CWS..

Ross

Aside from their places in my heart, I don't get to take much as remembrance from my patients. I can take their stories, though and write them down.

I was off work a couple of days (medication reaction), along with my days off. I got back tonight and had so many tell me they were glad I was alright and back with them. They told me how much they missed me being here. Now that can make a person feel good.

Back
Top Bottom