"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Ah, yeah, that one. I hate auto correct. Yes, but he is fine now. Had bypass surgery, relaxing for now.
Charlie, along with Chinese, English is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I love and really enjoy your malapropisms. I know what you mean though. At least your try. And for that I admire you. My son's in-laws have been here since the late 50's and the mother still can't read or speak English. Her kids translate everything for her. When she goes shopping, if one of her kids are not with her, she shops by the picture on the can.

I had given some thought of correcting you, but I certainly don't want to ever embarrass anyone who doesn't have a complete command of the English language.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Bolas and Harry is another story. Harry needs another surgery on his shoulder and Bollas had a hardtack.
Charlie, I had to laugh. Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Hardtack is a very hard biscuit that they used to serve to sailors. We still have them here in New England. We put them in clam chowder and other seafood soups.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Charlie, I had to laugh. Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Hardtack is a very hard biscuit that they used to serve to sailors. We still have them here in New England. We put them in clam chowder and other seafood soups.
I think Charlie's autocorrect on his phone did the translation for him! I try to override mine when possible.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think Charlie's autocorrect on his phone did the translation for him! I try to override mine when possible.
Makes me so happy I don't have the latest and greatest. A lot of times it turns out that it is not the greatest.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thank you for the update on bolas, charlie. i hope he's doing well, as is harry. i'm going to try to catch them the next time they pop their heads in at 4 or 5am est to get them posting again.

as far as lurkers go, i take it one step further. i lurk upon the lurkers, or do what i call "lurker surfing". when i get bored in the middle of the night and there's no new replies from members to read, or no members are even logged in, i look to see what the lurkers are looking at and check it out. i often get to read threads that i'd missed, or a good recipe, or something really great that someone said, and so on. lurker surfing is fun and informative and can help dredge up good, albeit old threads!

getting back to luca: kylie, my sense of humour doesn't always translate from what i see in my brain. i was only joking about luca. italians are known to talk as much with their hands as with their mouths, so their hands would be too busy to type anything.

luca, come back to us soon! otherwise <<brushing fingertips out from under chin>>, va fa a napoli <<biting knuckle>>.

Okay.....I am "outing" myself. I have been known to "lurk on lurkers" too! I just never had a name for it. I love "Lurker Surfing" Lol! BT you are right, it's a great way to find threads you haven't read.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #46
Executive Chef

I often wake up in the middle of the night. Esp on nap days if my mid-day siesta runneth too long. It's a quick way to see what's new without signing in and there is not much activity and I can just look at a glance.

At least on DC, they call you Guest as opposed to sticking your head out the door and checking if the neighbors are still up and have their lights on. ( I think those ((other)) people are called -- Nosy Neighbor). My Neighbors on my North came storming out their back door. What IS He doing !?! I could hear them because their back door is right outside my den window. ( Hissing and seething) Why is his Music sooo loud. Another neighbor on the other side of me farther down the block wasn't even having a party, ( I checked, no cars parked on the street) but their stereo was Blasting like a car a block away with 10 speakers reverbing and bulging the back fenders Thud thud thud on main street on Saturday Night. It wasn't even 10 pm. Most of us on our block settle down earlier in the evening. The other couple is a wee bit younger. Life is normal in so many respects. Given, our old houses are without much insulation/ sound protection and are set on lots very close together. I thought old people were supposed to grow more deaf as they aged. Guess not.

So now we can do lurking on lurking. Sweet. Kool.

I'll have to give it a try some night. I can Wave at BT. I find I can not lurk unless I am signed in. Well, I can lurk but not Lurk. The Quick links don't work unless you identify yourself first. This could be more fun than being in a chat room without chatting back.

I hope you who are in touch with Luca and the Brothers will give them each my best wishes. And hurry back.

I also miss Chef Maloney. I may have started out the gate too quick with him, I think I started kidding him from Day1. I hope he never took anything the wrong way. It is so hard to tell because writing is so black and white and is without inflection and does not show the subjective.

I also have not seen Greg Cooks lately. I hope he is just busy and I may not read all the threads.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Okay.....I am "outing" myself. I have been known to "lurk on lurkers" too! I just never had a name for it. I love "Lurker Surfing" Lol! BT you are right, it's a great way to find threads you haven't read.
ok, everyone point at bunny, shouting, "LURKER! LURKER!"

and yeah, hey, where has greg gone off to?

i don't think chef maloney will be back.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ok, everyone point at bunny, shouting, "LURKER! LURKER!"

and yeah, hey, where has greg gone off to?

LURKER! LURKER!

Why don't you think Chef M won't be back?

Didn't I see a post from Greg a few days back? Can't remember where. Maybe the gun thread.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Porque?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

(i just finished episode 3, so read this in your best downton abbey english voice)

because his last post was rather confrontational, shall we say?

en espanol: porque entonces se enojo y ataco un administrador.

i don't know the details, of course, so i couldn't really comment on it. but i saw the post.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote