Lunchmeat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
My disabled brother can no longer shop for himself. He lives alone and depends on me to do his shopping. Thankfully, he tries to make himself some meals mostly depending on lunchmeat sandwiches. He has asked me how come there isn't the large selection of lunchmeat anymore? He claims most of the things I bring home do not have the flavor they used to. Many butcher shops have closed which is also disappointing. He now is asking me to search for liverwurst. He claims most of the things I bring him are braunsweiger but the store has label liverwurst. Do you find this happening in your area? Or do you even buy lunchmeat? Most of the employees tell me people are getting too health conscious. I seriously doubt this when McDonald's does such a fantastic business. Are we alone on this search? Thanks for your comments. I feel awful t hat I can't get something he really wants. although the health aspect is true, what can these senior citizens do since they mostly have eaten sandwiches all their lives?

I'm not sure what you mean by lunchmeat. Our deli has a good variety of meats that my family find very tasty. Maybe try making your own by roasting a ham, brisket or chicken and slicing it up yourself. It is a bit more work but very flavorful and probably healthier without all the preservatives. There is always online shopping as well. You can order and have shipped directly to his home.

Hi ITK, I do not know the difference between liverwurst and braunsweiger. I Googled and came up with little.

Different deli meats, cold cuts, are different depending upon the supplier. We can get Boar's Head brand at a local supermarket and they are very good, but pricey.

Not trying to butt in but maybe, if your brother could manage it, you could bring some dishes he could just toss in the microwave and heat up. The stuff could already be in a microwave safe dish and all he needs to do is nuke it.

You could make the food yourself or there is so much prepared food available in the stores these days.

Just an idea. God bless you for taking care of your brother.

Have a joyous Easter.

Prepare Meals

most of his meals come from some senior citizen center where they prepare 'Meals on Wheels'. Senior citizens deliver meals faithfully and for only minor charge. He just is impressed how the weather is so bad and they still manage to deliver the meals to shut ins. These people sure are committed. Always same people year after year. I did find some liver sausage made by local packing company out of St Louis. Waiting to have him try it now. I do fix him meals but I get made when he puts more salt or some kind of flavoring on his own. Spoils it. There are times when I think his taste buds are gone but he still wants to eat. Not easy when you have older person. Similar to child but you can't make them do what you want them to. No one wanted to care for him in beginning cause he was so indifferent. Time is making him mellow. Thanks to Man upstairs. Always helps me out.

I could fix him some kind of roast or something but he is negligent about eating it and then I worry it could spoil. We have a deli but there are mostly meats that have no preservatives in them. For instance, bologna will last longer than most cuts of deli meat.

Now my other problem is giving him a bath. He doesn't want strangers coming in and I can't get him in the tub. I do not like giving him a 'sponge' bath. I figure if water doesn't rinse the soap you don't get clean. My feeling.

Thanks for your comments.

Given the problems with the lunch meat and the showers, sounds more like something else is bothering him and these are just the outlets he chooses to show it with.

Hi ITK. I went off the packaged lunch meat as it is too slimy/wet. Found myself patting it down with paper towels. Even when I bought it fresh sliced at the deli counter sometimes it was too wet. (I do most of my grocery shopping on line - Vons & albertson's deliver for about $10 - it saves me time, money/gas & running around for staples). I buy the shaved Healthy choice or Hillshire Farm - it's a little more expensive, but very tasty. Pair it with some whole wheat bread, sliced fresh tomatoes & crispy lettuce, swiss cheese & fruit salad or fresh fruit - cantaloupe etc - and it's yummy meal. Add slices of fresh avacado. Yum. I usually buy the turkey, but they have ham, roast beef etc. Haven't bought liverwurst in a long time, but it's great with roasted sweet red peppers & mayo on (gasp, lol) white bread.

Last edited:
I haven't seen less lunchmeat where I shop. Still plenty of variety, but I refuse to pay that much money anymore for it. The deli counter isn't near as busy as it once was I've noticed. I've been thinking of buying a ham and slicing and freezing my own.
And I agree with Mav.

ITK, don't know where you live or what kind of market you shop at. But in my local super market there are three places where "Lunchmeat' can be found. 1) the aisle with processed cheeses and butter, 2) the meat aisle (fancier packages and types) and 3) the deli counter where you ask them to slice it from the whole hunks be it roast beef or VA ham or whatever. The first group caters to kids taste, the second to more adult tastes and the third to "fancy" tastes. Again not knowing what part of the country or the type of store you have available to you limits our advice. But if anything there are more choices than ever out there.

2 brands in my area are Boar's Head and Deitz and Watson. Both make excellent deli products and are readily available. If in doubt, ask your store manager.

Back
Top Bottom