"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I would still call this a pizza. A pizza without tomato sauce is called a "white pizza"

The creme fraiche serves as the sauce in this case for the pizza and then it has all the caviar, lobster tail, Salmon Roe, and Wasabi on it as the toppings.

You can think of this as a "white seafood pizza"

Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
I would still call this a pizza. A pizza without tomato sauce is called a "white pizza"
Part of the definition of "pizza" in Websters dictionary states that it is baked. Now I know that Websters is not the defining document that states what is and is not a pizza, but in my opinion this is too far from what a pizza really is to be called pizza.

I think this is as much a pizza as a chocotini is a martini.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Part of the definition of "pizza" in Websters dictionary states that it is baked. Now I know that Websters is not the defining document that states what is and is not a pizza, but in my opinion this is too far from what a pizza really is to be called pizza.

I think this is as much a pizza as a chocotini is a martini.
Must be some pizza recipes out on the WWW where a pizza does not have to be baked or grilled????
Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
Must be some pizza recipes out on the WWW where a pizza does not have to be baked or grilled????
I am sure there are, but just because you call something a pizza does that really make it one? If I posted a recipe that took a bun (dough) and put cheese and meat and sauce on it and called it a pizza would it really be one or would it be a cheese burger?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Head Chef

I am certainly not the food naming police. But this 'pizza' seems to have more right to be called a pizza than does some concoction with Kahlua and Midori to bear the moniker of martini.

Reductio ad absurdum, I suppose one could call a piece of cheese on melba toast a pizza.

But someone probably will.

So many times I see cooking terms used in ways they never were traditionally intended. This is particularly true in dishes in tony restaurants when the chef apparently want to be considered creative and to impress the diners.

And so I present my just developed idea for Southern eggs Benedict.

Cornbread, topped with a slice of country ham, a poached egg, and sausage gravy.

Actually that sounds pretty good to me right now, but is it a Benedict? I would say no, but then again I would consider calling it such a misdemeanor compared to the many food naming felonies I see all the time.

My point, and I hate to be forced to have one, is that people are calling food items pretty much what they want to.

To me a pizza should be defined as a pie with sauce and cheese (and a bit of oil and maybe a few other ingredients, such as oregano) that is made within the confines of the five boroughs of New York City. And pineapple is not an acceptable ingredient.

People can make whatever they want to elsewhere, but to me it ain't no pizza, no how.

And a martini is a drink made with gin and vermouth, with an olive, or maybe two (I am a liberal on these matters).

Those who want a similar drink with vodka or a lemon twist, but insist upon calling the concoction a martini, should suffer a fine.

Those who would put any olio of liquers into a martini glass and call it that, should, well I am not sure what ought to happen to them.

Hester Prynn (the Nathaniel Hawthrorne character) earned having an 'A' branded on her forehead for adultery.

Maybe a simple 'M' on the forehead ......... nah, the Senate will never pass it.

I suppose I will just have to go kicking and screaming into the food nomenclature morass.

Buck up, Auntdot, you can do it.

Anyone got a real martini? I could use one right now.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I like GB's idea. It's not a pizza, it's a cheeseburger!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Call it white pizza, cheeseburger or even caviar chip cookie!! Clearly, it is not worth paying $1,000 for it. It is just merely hype. With that money, one could easily make lots of wonderful traditional pizzas or visit some good pizza place many times over.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Awww, they just did it for the advertising and obviously that worked...we're even talking about it.

Look at Spago's menu ---> Smoked Salmon Pizza and the Proscuito something pizza. I remember when they were the talk of the internet.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Clearly, it is not worth paying $1,000 for it.
That is not true for everyone. I bet there are people who will buy it and think it was money well spent. If dropping 1k for lunch is something that does not hurt your pocketbook then why not? If someone from some poor country who only makes $300 a year saw someone here spend $100 at a restaurant they would probably be saying the same thing that we are saying about a pizza for 1k.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can't just take any kind of flat bread and toss some wierd crap on it and call it a pizza.

Why isn't it bruschetta? We could call it a caviar chip cookie.
lol, i like your thinking. or how about a topped focaccia or flatbread?

(i'm sad that i can't karma sush for his witty response.)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote