"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Everymom

Mac Book Oops

OK, I'm an idiot. I was goofing around on my MacBook and I moved a bunch of photos and other things to the trash. Is there any way to move them back to their original spot that isn't labor intensive or do I have to do it all the hard way? Is there an Undo function I'm not finding?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Master Chef

Can't you open your trash folder and move to your desktop, close the trash folder, open the folder you want them in and just drop them back in again. That's what I have done. I have a iMac.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If the Mac has a restore function, you can restore your system back to a time before you started trashing photos but you will lose everything you did after that point

Otherwise you just reverse the click and drag routine back to the original locations.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Do you have Time Machine set up on your Mac Alix?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Can't you open your trash folder and move to your desktop, close the trash folder, open the folder you want them in and just drop them back in again. That's what I have done. I have a iMac.
That's what I would do. I have a g5 laptop.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Everymom

No GB, I hadn't set it up yet. I have a feeling you are going to tell me something to make me wish I had!

getoutamykitchen I think I could be at this a while trying to put everything back in its original places. Sheesh.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Just make a folder on your desktop and drag them all into that folder, then when you have time you can move a few files at a time to where they should be.

Yes I am going to tell you something that would make you wish you had Time Machine set up. You would have had to make two clicks to get everything back to the way it was if you had it set up. Do you have an external hard drive? If not then get one (they have come way down in price) and set up Time Machine right away. Without it (or some other backup method) you could lose everything at any time.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Everymom

I have a stick, but its not nearly big enough to hold everything. How does an external hard drive connect to the laptop? Just with a USB? And I haven't emptied my trash yet, I'm going to do this the hard way and then set up Time Machine like I should have done from the beginning. Phooey! Thanks GB.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah a stick won't work for time machine. Ideally you want your external to be 1.5 - 2x larger than your hard drive in the computer (mine is the exact same size though). Yes it plugs into your USB. They have some that you also have to plug into the wall or now they have small ones that draw power from the USB port itself. You basically just plug it in and then click time machine to turn it on and the rest happens automatically and in the background. It is quick and painless and will save you headaches and provide piece of mind knowing that your information is at least backed up.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Alix I am at work so I did not listen to this youtube, but just looking at the screen quickly it looks like it will give you a basic understanding of time machine. Check it out.