"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

Mac or PC?

I don't want this to get into an ugly debate. I just want to know everyones honest opinion on why they like their PC or MAC.
I have heard good things about MAC and have only used PC's. The one I have is the only PC I have ever owned and I'm wondering whether to buy a MAC or just get more memory for this one.

One more thing. If I should just get more memory, what should I get? My problem is this. When I have had my computer on for even an hour, it bogs down horribly!! Not just the internet, all of my programs too. I'm assuming this is a memory issue as the little yellow warning comes up that virtual memory is low all the time now.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've use both at work and owned both at home.

The issue for me was a lack of software available for Macs. In 2000, I switched from MAC to PC then.

A plus for Macs is that the vast majority of viruses only attack PCs.

The major differences are in their use. If you want a computer for the internet surfing and recipe collection, add memory to your PC. If you are doing a lot of creative work in the art, graphics, music and movies areas, the Mac is the acknowledged king.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

I've only had PCs and I too, have heard that the best virus protection is to use a Mac.
Texas, have you had your computer looked at recently? Sounds like you have some bugs! There's a good service I use, but they only only are in So Cal. Look for a good company that will come to your house and clean out any viruses, etc for you. You'll be amazed at how quickly & easily your computer functions.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Master Chef

All that I have on my computer, and that I use is the Kodak Easy Share for my pics. Other than that, it's mostly internet.
So, should I just get the external hard drives? I am also looking at flat screen monitors and cd burners. I was dumb enough to think that mine would come with a cd burner, it didn't.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I've only had PCs and I too, have heard that the best virus protection is to use a Mac.
Texas, have you had your computer looked at recently? Sounds like you have some bugs! There's a good service I use, but they only only are in So Cal. Look for a good company that will come to your house and clean out any viruses, etc for you. You'll be amazed at how quickly & easily your computer functions.
I have McAfee that I run on a weekly basis. Is this not good enough? I have 2 different spyware programs too. This is why I was looking into the MAC's. I have lost everything I had before with the welchia worm that was going around 3 years ago.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Consider taking your PC to a pro. I've used Geek Squad, a subsidiary of Best Buy, to help me out and they did a great job. It's cheaper if you leave the PC with them. They will make a house call.

They can clean up your drive and recommend a course of action, including adding software and hardware as compared to buying new.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Head Chef

TXgirl,

Memory and storage are two different things. If you are running out of virtual memory, there could be several causes. The PC uses hard drive space for "swap space" or "vitual memory" when it runs out of RAM (random access memory), which is where the running programs live. If the hard drive is nearly full, and the RAM is insufficient for the number of programs open, you will get a message saying you are low on virtual memory. There are two solutions. Increase the hard drive space or increase the RAM. If you are that close to capacity on the hard drive, you should upgrade that, regardless. Extra RAM is always a plus, both for speed and reliability. If possible, upgrade both; I would reccomend against the external hard drive and go for an internal hard drive upgrade, instead.

Another cause for your problem may be malware running in the background. Over time, these can use up your RAM and clog up the swap file, rendering the computer nearly useless. You should be running internet security software (not just anti-virus) to help prevent this.

I work with PCs, primarily, and I find that the Mac world is moderately challenged as far as software is concerned. However, if all you do is graphics and internet, the Mac could be a viable option for you.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask here or by PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Head Chef

I have used both. I visit here on a Mac think pad. We have the mac, as Andy says, because we are musicians. I don't "deal" with the music programmes, except in rehearsal, but the record quality on our think pad with a good extra setup of microphone etc gives us studio quality recording. Photos are ok...but really I can do them as well on PC. I find that watching videos online and stuff is beyond me...the Mac blocks it....

We now have Windows on the mac which has endeared me more to it for my written work. Before things that I sent to people using windows opened distorted and with wierd typos in it....not the best when its work, lol.

Having struggled to learn PC skills its kind of frustrating to relate back to the Mac which "speaks" a whole different language.

Do you know someone with a Mac you can sit and play with for a half hour? If it were not for the music set up I have to say I would choose PC. Personally. But I don't care enough to have my IMB think pad repaired, so the Mac cannot be too bad, eh!

Purely stylistically, if I were having a computer rather than a lap top. I think Macs look nicer!
Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Consider taking your PC to a pro. I've used Geek Squad, a subsidiary of Best Buy, to help me out and they did a great job. It's cheaper if you leave the PC with them. They will make a house call.

They can clean up your drive and recommend a course of action, including adding software and hardware as compared to buying new.
I have used Geek Squad too - via phone - they were great! I will probably take it in the next time though - I was on the phone with someone in India for 5 hours - it was grueling - but my computer was fixed! There was a 3-day warranty that came with that - I could call them up and they would help me more if the problem wasn't fixed - OR, if they couldn't do it over the phone they would deduct the phone call charge off a house call. I liked them a LOT!

As far as PC or Mac I read that and said silently - OH NO!!!!!!!!! An all-out war on Sunday! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
We now have Windows on the mac which has endeared me more to it for my written work. Before things that I sent to people using windows opened distorted and with wierd typos in it....not the best when its work, lol.
I forgot about this capability with the new Mac OS. How well does it work? If it's as good as they say, it's a good argument, at least, for Mac users to stay where they are.