Mac or PC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I don't want this to get into an ugly debate. I just want to know everyones honest opinion on why they like their PC or MAC.
I have heard good things about MAC and have only used PC's. The one I have is the only PC I have ever owned and I'm wondering whether to buy a MAC or just get more memory for this one.

One more thing. If I should just get more memory, what should I get? My problem is this. When I have had my computer on for even an hour, it bogs down horribly!! Not just the internet, all of my programs too. I'm assuming this is a memory issue as the little yellow warning comes up that virtual memory is low all the time now.

Last edited:
I've use both at work and owned both at home.

The issue for me was a lack of software available for Macs. In 2000, I switched from MAC to PC then.

A plus for Macs is that the vast majority of viruses only attack PCs.

The major differences are in their use. If you want a computer for the internet surfing and recipe collection, add memory to your PC. If you are doing a lot of creative work in the art, graphics, music and movies areas, the Mac is the acknowledged king.

I've only had PCs and I too, have heard that the best virus protection is to use a Mac.
Texas, have you had your computer looked at recently? Sounds like you have some bugs! There's a good service I use, but they only only are in So Cal. Look for a good company that will come to your house and clean out any viruses, etc for you. You'll be amazed at how quickly & easily your computer functions.

All that I have on my computer, and that I use is the Kodak Easy Share for my pics. Other than that, it's mostly internet.
So, should I just get the external hard drives? I am also looking at flat screen monitors and cd burners. I was dumb enough to think that mine would come with a cd burner, it didn't.

jkath said:
I've only had PCs and I too, have heard that the best virus protection is to use a Mac.
Texas, have you had your computer looked at recently? Sounds like you have some bugs! There's a good service I use, but they only only are in So Cal. Look for a good company that will come to your house and clean out any viruses, etc for you. You'll be amazed at how quickly & easily your computer functions.

I have McAfee that I run on a weekly basis. Is this not good enough? I have 2 different spyware programs too. This is why I was looking into the MAC's. I have lost everything I had before with the welchia worm that was going around 3 years ago.

Consider taking your PC to a pro. I've used Geek Squad, a subsidiary of Best Buy, to help me out and they did a great job. It's cheaper if you leave the PC with them. They will make a house call.

They can clean up your drive and recommend a course of action, including adding software and hardware as compared to buying new.

Last edited:
TXgirl,

Memory and storage are two different things. If you are running out of virtual memory, there could be several causes. The PC uses hard drive space for "swap space" or "vitual memory" when it runs out of RAM (random access memory), which is where the running programs live. If the hard drive is nearly full, and the RAM is insufficient for the number of programs open, you will get a message saying you are low on virtual memory. There are two solutions. Increase the hard drive space or increase the RAM. If you are that close to capacity on the hard drive, you should upgrade that, regardless. Extra RAM is always a plus, both for speed and reliability. If possible, upgrade both; I would reccomend against the external hard drive and go for an internal hard drive upgrade, instead.

Another cause for your problem may be malware running in the background. Over time, these can use up your RAM and clog up the swap file, rendering the computer nearly useless. You should be running internet security software (not just anti-virus) to help prevent this.

I work with PCs, primarily, and I find that the Mac world is moderately challenged as far as software is concerned. However, if all you do is graphics and internet, the Mac could be a viable option for you.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask here or by PM.

I have used both. I visit here on a Mac think pad. We have the mac, as Andy says, because we are musicians. I don't "deal" with the music programmes, except in rehearsal, but the record quality on our think pad with a good extra setup of microphone etc gives us studio quality recording. Photos are ok...but really I can do them as well on PC. I find that watching videos online and stuff is beyond me...the Mac blocks it....

We now have Windows on the mac which has endeared me more to it for my written work. Before things that I sent to people using windows opened distorted and with wierd typos in it....not the best when its work, lol.

Having struggled to learn PC skills its kind of frustrating to relate back to the Mac which "speaks" a whole different language.

Do you know someone with a Mac you can sit and play with for a half hour? If it were not for the music set up I have to say I would choose PC. Personally. But I don't care enough to have my IMB think pad repaired, so the Mac cannot be too bad, eh!

Purely stylistically, if I were having a computer rather than a lap top. I think Macs look nicer!

Andy M. said:
Consider taking your PC to a pro. I've used Geek Squad, a subsidiary of Best Buy, to help me out and they did a great job. It's cheaper if you leave the PC with them. They will make a house call.

They can clean up your drive and recommend a course of action, including adding software and hardware as compared to buying new.

I have used Geek Squad too - via phone - they were great! I will probably take it in the next time though - I was on the phone with someone in India for 5 hours - it was grueling - but my computer was fixed! There was a 3-day warranty that came with that - I could call them up and they would help me more if the problem wasn't fixed - OR, if they couldn't do it over the phone they would deduct the phone call charge off a house call. I liked them a LOT!

As far as PC or Mac I read that and said silently - OH NO!!!!!!!!! An all-out war on Sunday! lol :angel:

lulu said:
We now have Windows on the mac which has endeared me more to it for my written work. Before things that I sent to people using windows opened distorted and with wierd typos in it....not the best when its work, lol.

I forgot about this capability with the new Mac OS. How well does it work? If it's as good as they say, it's a good argument, at least, for Mac users to stay where they are.

Well, yes. Now I have windows I don't really complain about the Mac. Although I still use safari over explorer.

Windows works perfectly on the Mac. I upgraded in July and its not had an issue at all.

lulu said:
Well, yes. Now I have windows I don't really complain about the Mac. Although I still use safari over explorer.

Windows works perfectly on the Mac. I upgraded in July and its not had an issue at all.

Just professional curiosity--what applications do you run from the PC world?

Applications???? (can you see why I struggle with the computer, lol)

do you mean like Power point, word etc?

lulu said:
Applications???? (can you see why I struggle with the computer, lol)

do you mean like Power point, word etc?
:ROFLMAO: (No offence.) Yes, that is what I mean. What programs do you use that would normally only run on a PC?

Andy M. vbmenu_register("postmenu_343859", true);

Site Helper
Profile: Location: Massachusetts

I've use both at work and owned both at home.

The issue for me was a lack of software available for Macs. In 2000, I switched from MAC to PC then.

A plus for Macs is that the vast majority of viruses only attack PCs.

The major differences are in their use. If you want a computer for the internet surfing and recipe collection, add memory to your PC. If you are doing a lot of creative work in the art, graphics, music and movies areas, the Mac is the acknowledged king.
I agree with Andy and others the pros and cons of each system. How old is your computer Texasgirl that would be part of my thinking. I have to admit I have used both.
I beleive PC's are the best choice for most people as there is just more you can do with one.
Now you have to think 64 bit for a much faster FBS. I like AMD Chips but P4's are good too. I just have had better luck with AMD Chips.
If your Computer isn't very old just add the Ram make sure to pair your ram chips off. Like if you have 256 MB of Ram Add a 2nd 256 MB chip of the same type. Remember Windows XP Needs 128 MB of Ram Just to work right thats if you do nothing but turn it on. 1.24 GB of Ram is better.
Buy the Book "How to Upgrade your PC". by Preston Gralla Ram is very eash to install and it has a Chapter that is very easy to install and will save you money. I bought the Book at walmart but I am sure you could find it at ebay or online somewhere cheaper. Good Luck.
P.S. the Book also will show you how to figure what kind of ram to use. :cool:

Am using a pc here but have a Mac not three feet from me.

Have the Mac because I needed it for my work, but now I can do the same things on the pc. Within a month or so it is going (old and we can use the desk space).

Was never comfortable with the Mac but really, to be fair, used it only intermeittently. Know folks who swear by them.

Not being a computer wonk at all I usually do as Andy and take it to a shop.

It is worth the $$, at least to us.

It is possible that your machine is quite adequate for your current needs and the computer nerds can get it running well, or tell you if you need more memory. If so they can even install it for you. It is probably worth the investment IMHO.

Of course there are true computer mavins on this site I am sure who could do this all themselves quite easily, but we are not very computer savvy.

Good luck.

Texasgirl Here is the book New and Cheaper than I paid for my copy. Its on ebay right now for a Buy it Now Price of 7.99 plus shipping. I paid 19.99 for the one I bought.
How to Upgrade Your PC Preston Gralla SC Book

Item number: 4604041369
All you have to do is go to ebay and put in the Item Number and it will take you to the book so you can see for yourself. Good Luck and Hugs James
icon6.gif

I love my PC because that is the only computer I have ever had and even one when I was working.

My friend has a MAC and she loves it - she can make the most wonderful cards, labels, personal cards for people that she wants to have her number and all sorts of things. She can see the schedules of all the Airline Companies and can set up her own reservations. MAC's don't need an Anti-Virus.

bullseye said:
:ROFLMAO: (No offence.) Yes, that is what I mean. What programs do you use that would normally only run on a PC?

:LOL: And I have used computers all my life....embarrasing huh!

The main thing is Word. I write, and using the software on the Mac for pieces I was sending by email, or, quite frankly, printing out, was not good. They distorted and reformatted themselves illogically and became very frustrating. word makes things easy and better, even when I am sending to other Mac users. I used the think free and virtual PC on Mac, and both were frustrating and laughable. Just not up to it for my uses. I wuld have paid the price I paid for all the windows software just for word. It does what I want it to do.

I word LOVE to use outlook express as my mail, but I can't work out what it wants from me in the set up so I am still using internet mail providers.

Mac things that are better for me are Safari (explorer runs VERY slowly compared to safari on this machine) and I use iPhoto and itunes for personal stuff. In fact, not just personal stuff, DH's last album cover was more or less done completely on the Mac with images and Photoshop (but I had nothing to do with that) I just tried to check to see what the music "applications" (ain't I picking it up!) he uses are but they are not on the screen or the poppy up thing at the bottom so they'll be hidden in the apple menu somewhere...with out a give away icon!

I'm a former PC user who moved over to Mac when I got sick to death of viruses and other malware that attacked my PC. I've had a Mac for maybe five years. I used to be a nifty Windows user but know absolutely nothing about the Mac operating system other than that it goes, so I've never needed to worry about it. The latest version is extremely stable. In my line of work, I use Office type programs. They work just as well on Macs as PCs these days. And here come what I hope are not famous last words: I have never had a virus attack on my Macs. I'm on my second Mac: my first one (an iMac) still goes fine but I wanted a bigger screen. Other than that, I had no need to buy another one.

My partner is a former Mac user who moved over to a PC when he needed a new machine and decided he couldn't justify the extra cost for a Mac. He produces radio programmes. He's just about to buy a new computer and has decided to stick with a PC. He says the 'creative' programmes that Macs used to excel at are now just as good for PCs. He has had several virus attacks but has not had a major disaster due to his anti-virus programs. I'm not sure that these are totally reliable, however.

But you know what the best thing about a Mac is in my experience: the silence. They run so quietly. There is no way I could work all day at my partner's PC. The fan noise would drive me mad. Everyone comments on how quiet the Mini Mac is but if anything, the iMac was even quieter.

And the worst thing about my Mac: the lack of a Windows-type task bar where everything you have open is displayed. The dock, as it's called on a Mac, isn't quite as good. It shows you open programs and anything you've minimised, not everything that's open on your desktop. You have fancy function key combinations for that, but I like things to be a bit more straightforward than that.

What's the cost of swapping from one to another: the price of new software. I was amazed when I moved over to Mac that Microsoft didn't do upgrade-type deals on programs between platforms. You have to pay full whack again. If you do buy a Mac, make sure you get the right software for your chip type. A little while back, Apple started to use Intel chips, and as I understand it, you have to get the Intel version of Office for Mac, for example, rather than the old version.

Back
Top Bottom