"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Do it GB. Get a Mac.

We had PC's for years. Each of them had soooo many problems. bugs, viruses, daily crashes, and all. We finally decided that enough was enough! Bought a Mac a year ago and haven't had a single problem.

iPhoto has some good basic editing and our photos look incredibly better because of it. I also use the "pages" software for creating professional looking documents and flyers. It's crazy easy to use.

I know you have an iphone, like us. You can set up your ical to sync with the calendar on your iphone (if your wife also has an iphone, her calendars will sync with yours too). The calendar is valuable to us, we both have kind of inconsistent schedules and it's nice that it can all sync up without having to do anything but enter it once.

iMovie is a breeze too.

Yes, Macs are expensive but they will last you two or three times longer than any PC.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Dh has been saying for awhile now that when his PC is on its last leg he will go with a MAC. This info is good to know. We (as in dh) run a website and he thinks the MAC will be a better way to go regarding the viruses, etc. I'm pretty computer illiterate so I'll pass on this info to him.
Thanks for this info.

Barb

Old 10-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
Do it GB. Get a Mac.
Oh my mind is made up. I am getting one for sure. It is just a matter of when. If it were up to me i would have it in my hands already.

I have to say, my current computer has been a great machine. I am currently using a Dell laptop that i bought about 6 or 7 years ago I am guessing. I can not remember that far back, but I do not think I have had more than one or two viruses (which is one or two too many) and I caught them quick enough that they did not cause any damage. Aside from the power cord dying 3 or 4 times I have not had any hardware problems 9and the cord was covered by the warranty each time). The only reason I am getting a new computer is because this one is really starting to show its age. It takes 8-15 minutes just to turn on these days. I am completely out of space (easy to do with a 40gig hard drive) so i have most things on my external drive. With 512mb of memory things take forever to load. iTunes can take 5 minutes and forget about opening Photoshop.

I just really think Apple has put a lot of thought into the operating system and how things should be organized and how they should work. Things just seem to make sense. It is not a perfect computer. There are things that might be set up smarter on PC's. One thing I think is ridiculous is the Macbooks do not have a right click button. There is a setting that lets you turn on a right click option though, but you would think that Apple would have put more thought into something like that. It is small potatoes though compared to all the things they got right.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

You're a patient man, GB. If my computer was that slow, I would have tossed it through a window by now!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Put it on your credit card GB...don't make any payments...maybe they'll pass a bailout for delinquent Credit Card accounts!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

How about a reward for people who have no credit card debt?!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

LOL UB

My cousin, the Apple employee, has been kind enough to not only offer me advice, but also offer me his employee discount, so I will not be able to put it on my card. Too bad cause that would have racked up a nice amount of points.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
How about a reward for people who have no credit card debt?!
Indeed...At the very least a No Limit Dinner for two at Ruth's Chris!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've been doing graphic design since 1992, mostly on a PC. I can't imagine how a Mac is better - I've always been able to do whatever I wanted to do on a PC, with the right software. I keep hearing that Macs are better than PCs at graphics, but when I ask for specifics, no one has the answer.
Years ago it was that way, not so much anymore. Macs could handle 2 gigs of ram where if you had 756 on an IBM you really had something. Same with the processor. The technology between the motherboards and CPU's were a real bottleneck. I remember certain graphic software that was only available for Macs and had some sweet tools. Now, everyone makes the same software for both machines. Like you, I was able to get everything I needed done on my PC but there were differances back then. You could usually acomplish the same task using third party plug-ins.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

I talked with my wife last night and she gave me the go ahead to order my new computer.

I will be getting a 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive. To say I am excited is an understatement.