"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Master Chef

Mad as a Hornet?

Well, must say that it has come full circle. After hubby spending a day in emergency after an ambulance ride to the hospital, nearly dying after being swarmed by hornets when he tried to trim the hedge, I looked and looked for a hornets' nest. This was in June.

This past Tuesday we hired a yard guy to trim the hedge (needless to say, hubby was NOT going to trim the hedge). Suddenly we saw our yard guy running across the yard. I went out to see what was happening ... we had a hornets' nest the size of a big football. Now that it was exposed they were really PO'd. The next morning they swarmed the porch. Orkin came out 4 times, then said his feelings wouldn't be hurt if we hired someone else. Which we did. The nest is now dead (the local guy will come to break it up and throw it away this week).

If you're in disaster mode, don't call Orkin. On the hottest days of the summer, we couldn't open our windows because the hornets were getting in around the screens. We couldn't let the dogs out on that side of the house (where their fenced-in yard is). I was getting up mornings even at that and killing hornets so that my husband wouldn't get stung. Meanwhile Mr. Orkin was doing preventive maintenance at rich people's homes. At least he could have said he wasn't up to the job on Tuesday.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #2
Head Chef

I'd be mad, too

At least you're finally rid of the hornets' nest!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Everymom

Holy cow. Glad you are OK. That sounds very scary.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
OUCH!
I'd be really mad too!!

I'm glad you have the problem
all taken care of now.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Master Chef

Claire, I understand. I have a hornets nest under my porch. Every time me or the dog steps on the step the hornets come out of the nest. I have called every pest control company for miles around. Some either don't service my area or cannot come for two weeks. Finally, I got a hold of a local guy that said he could come tomorrow (08/08). I normally can deal with them myself if they are small, but this one is huge. I have already been stung once and my dog once. Hopefully, after tomorrow I will not have any more trouble.

Sorry, about all your troubles. SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I have destroyed many nests in my 54 years. YOU NEVER DO DURING THE DAY! Just get yourself a good Hornet,Wasp and Bee killer.........and follow direstions.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I have destroyed many nests in my 54 years. YOU NEVER DO DURING THE DAY! Just get yourself a good Hornet,Wasp and Bee killer.........and follow direstions.
I have also heard you should not get rid of the nest during the day. The early morning before the sun is up is best. That is when they are least active.

My nest is in such an awkward spot that I can reach it safely without crawling under the porch. So, I thought I would leave it up to a professional. He said that he would remove it for free. So, I figured why should I take the chance of getting stung when some else will remove the nest for me.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I just soak the nest with Hornet Killer during the night......the next night...I cut it down and place it in plastic bag.....or burn it.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
I just soak the nest with Hornet Killer during the night......the next night...I cut it down and place it in plastic bag.....or burn it.
We used large firecrackers or shot it up with shotguns up north to blow them apart when we were kids. Lots of fun.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
Cook

Hornets Nest

Quote:
We used large firecrackers or shot it up with shotguns up north to blow them apart when we were kids. Lots of fun.
My dad raised Bees, I lnow for sure that you always go out at night.... YOU DO NOT DISTURB THEM IN THE DAYTIME.

Bang bang is right, go to local hardware store, and get stuff to kill Hornets, spray it at night, and gather in plastic bag , and burns remains<<<< Works everytime, and my Dad was never Stung>>>>>

Songbird