"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2005, 04:23 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
Incidentally, they still won't accept me as a blood donor over here because I'm British and they think we've all got mad cow disease....I told them I was a mad cow anyway and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I HAD got it LOL!

Paint.
Hehehe, I have to deal with that too but because I've gotten both Malaria and Tuberculosis (and I got TB in the US... irony of ironies... it's been eliminated in all 3rd world countries but thrives here).

Anyway's while I cant directly save lives with my blood you can still donate healthy blood for HIV or other medical research, which is what Im doing right now.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
Everymom

Living in Alberta we know a lot about beef. So I would say I eat MORE now than before the scare. We know that if you don't eat any of the spinal column or brain you are safe so we are trying to boost the industry by buying more! I think most Albertans feel that way.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Living in Alberta we know a lot about beef. So I would say I eat MORE now than before the scare. We know that if you don't eat any of the spinal column or brain you are safe so we are trying to boost the industry by buying more! I think most Albertans feel that way.
But your beef wears hip waders

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef

We still eat beef, but not nearly as much as we use to 10 years ago. We are eating more chicken and veggies because is suppose to be healthier and since I grind my own meat, I don't have to worry about what is left over in the butcher's grinder, etc. and even though I havent made my own sausage yet, am seriously wanting to try it because I bet it is tastier than the stuff you get from the store anyway. All I have to do is find some good recipes AND where to get the casings. I have no clue where to get those. Maybe I will start out with patties only. :)We do what we can to cut down on chances of getting bad meat, but it really is in God's hands.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

I still eat beef but avoid the bones as much as possible. No marrow!!

I guess I am a hypocrite because I still eat a burger now and then.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #16
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
But your beef wears hip waders
Can't post THAT pic here! The Helpers would smack my hands! Heeheehee! Love that beef.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #17
Sous Chef

someone please correct me if im wrong...but i was told that you cannot get mad cow disease by eating steaks..just ground beef?!? please o please tell me this is correct. i can live without burgers, but no merciful god would ever take away my rib-eyes!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:37 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
someone please correct me if im wrong...but i was told that you cannot get mad cow disease by eating steaks..just ground beef?!? please o please tell me this is correct. i can live without burgers, but no merciful god would ever take away my rib-eyes!!!
Well, the truth is no-one really knows for certain - it can take 20 years for symptoms of the disease to show in humans and so we can't link it to victims eating a certain cut of beef. The disease is caused by a 'prion' which is a weird infectious agent that is composed only of protein, and of which we know very little about. Prions are highly resistant to heat, radiation and disinfectants and there is no treatment for the disease at present. To give an example of how difficult these things are to kill, laboratories have to autoclave them in a highly concentrated solution of sodium hydroxide - so normal cooking techniques (even pressure cooking) will have no effect on them.

Even if you gave up eating beef now, you could have been infected many years ago and still not be showing any symptoms....and no-one seems to be concerned about eating lamb, which is known to be the transmission agent for the disease in cows (cows are fed foodstuffs containing sheep brain etc., and 'scrapie' in sheep is caused by the same prion as mad cow disease in cows and Creutzfeld Jacob disease in humans).

The good news is that it is very, very rare, less than 1 in a million chance of contracting the disease from eating contaminated meat.

At the moment, Microbiologists are really just making 'most likely' hypotheses about what meat might be unsafe to eat.

Paint.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i'm not worried about it. personally i don't think the cow had it... i think it's their excuse to jack up the prices of beef again.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:22 AM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Nah Middie...it's the BULL!!!! LMAO.....Paint, you are informative....hmmmm.....makes a person wonder....as for Alix's comment...well you go girl! Albertan's have never before stuck behind their beef as they are now. It's everyone's livelihoods. EAT BEEF!@!!!!

As for the BS in just the ground beef I won't be so quick to hop on that. Most ground beef comes from the unusable parts for good cuts. (does that make sense?) I'd be more apt to say that you are just as safe eating ground as a steak or roast.

My question is, Why don't they strip the cow of usable meats and toss the head and spinal cord rather than trying to use it? Why bother? I know it would effect some cuts of meat but wouldnt it be safer in the long run?