"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
Mad cow disease phobia?

my family except me has a mad cow disease phobia so they don't buy any more beef! do you guys have that phobia?

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Nope!

Beef is still on the top of my grocery list every week.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Still beef eaters here!

Barbara
Old 07-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Master Chef

i have at least a steak a week!
Old 07-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Head Chef

If an animal is raised and labeled "organic", and fed only grains and grass, the odds of it carrying the mutant protein are zero. That mutant protein can only be carried by animals who have ingested ground up bits of other animals who were carriers. Nasty stuff.

Supposedly those potentially dangerous ground up cow bits (specifically the brain and spinal cord tissue) can only be fed to chickens, pigs and pets in the US. But as with most big industries, what is supposed to happen and what really does happen are two different things.

I think people are wise to be cautious. =) I also think you're blessed to be surrounded by people who care.

Z
Old 07-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Same here, Im not too concerned. I tend to get my beef in LARGE chunks which really reduces my odds of getting anything bad and also for ground beef I go for good sources.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I used to be a food microbiologist back in England, so we stopped eating beef as soon as the CDC reports started coming out way back in the 80's (long before the public knew....) - most of the staff at our micro lab stopped eating beef then. We were beef-free for several years and only really started eating it again when we moved to the USA around 5 years ago.....now it's over here too! We are still eating beef at the moment, but I only buy very good quality steak & ground beef, and only beef-free sausages & hot dogs. The biggest risk is from cheap beef products with mechanically separated gunk in them (think bratwurst, hotdogs, cheap burgers, cheap frozen meals...)

Incidentally, they still won't accept me as a blood donor over here because I'm British and they think we've all got mad cow disease....I told them I was a mad cow anyway and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I HAD got it LOL!

Paint.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have always bought organic beef, and only Aberdeen Angus beef. No case of vCJD has ever been found in the Scottish herds.

My children were never allowed cheap hamburgers, like MacDonalds and those strange pink discs that one can buy from burger vans here - so when the scare was at its height here in the UK, I had no concerns.

I have no problems with eating beef - but good beef costs a lot here!
Old 07-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Head Chef

I'm sorta tired of all the food scares - bacon would kill you, coffee would kill you, chicken would kill you, eggs would kill you - none of these things (in moderation of course) will kill you. Margarine was supposed to be better for you than butter because of cholesteral - now butter is better and margarine is bad.

Like most of you I buy my food from reputable sources and cook it properly and as Paint said I'm the only mad cow around here!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
You know....if everyone just quit worrying so much there wouldnt be a problem. As a kid some 20 years ago I used to eat raw hamburger all the time while preparing it....ok maybe not a full 20 years ago...anyways, I think if a carnivore eats what it is supposed to and a herbavore it's what it is supposed there should be no problem. Since when are cattle carnivores anyways??? Who in there right mind would feed cattle or horses any meat products??? No maky sence to me.

We are full out beef eaters, and even when it was in our back door....Alberta you know.....we never stopped. If everyone stopped there would be no support for our farmers and ranchers. Which would mean no food anywhere. Most ranchers also farm, if we were to shut down the cattle ranchers, then what? Do you really think our food comes off of a shelf? It ALL comes from the land.

SUPPORT BEEF!!!!

WOW!!! Where did that all come from....sorry to rattle off so much guys.....