"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #121
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Okay, that was a disaster for Maxi....I had to postpone the appointment till Saturday when Lou comes back. He tried to get her into the carrier to no avail. It was like trying to get toothpaste back into the tube, only with clawing and crying and some really nasty fart smell. No, we'll just wait till he can hold her on his lap and then we'll do this.
I gotta tell you, it's not in my heart to make her miserable. I realize she's got to go, but not like this...not shoved into a carrier and manhandled like that. Either she drinks half a shot of bourbon or she get's carried by hand.

I need a nap.
you could try Rescue Remedy for Pets, it helps calm the cat down.

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/37/Be...t-Carrier.html

Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #122
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree with Mama. There's no telling what other animals might be in the waiting room, as well as little kids running around. Mine don't like going into their carrier either, but once in there they are fine. Some cats will fuss the whole time they are in a carrier, but they aren't hurt. Also, cats are very forgiving.

Barbara

Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #123
Executive Chef

Thanks for the tips....I'll try the carrier again on Saturday...but I'm seriously going to need lots of cocktails when it's over.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #124
Head Chef

I don't know what size carrier you bought VB but you may need to get a hard plastic one that is big enough for a small dog so that you can stand it on end with the opening facing toward the ceiling and drop her into it. Something like this:

Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #125
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Thanks for the tips....I'll try the carrier again on Saturday...but I'm seriously going to need lots of cocktails when it's over.
Aw, Vera, I laughed when I read about your aborted attempt to get to the vet. I've been there. Some cats are much better than others about it. But everyone is right - it's not safe to take a cat, especially a cat who isn't settled yet, anywhere without a carrier. Some people use pillowcases but I don't think that is a good idea, except for a very mellow cat.

When I was evacuating my mom after hurricane Ike, I had to crate her 9 cats and take them on a 4 hour drive. One of the cats is a cranky, old female named Fiesta. She was my brother's cat, who had died 3 months before the hurricane. She was never what you would call a friendly cat, and after my brother died, she became downright mean. Really. No one could touch this cat without being bitten and clawed badly. So I was more than a little leery of trying to get this cat into a carrier. I ended up wearing 2, elbow-length leather gloves designed for use when grilling. I just picked her up and quickly shoved her into the carrier. No blood was shed.

Here's the point to the story - Fiesta loves me now! I can't believe it! She actually follows me around and lets me pet her and will even get in my lap for a nap! So don't worry that Maxie will be forever angry with you. In fact, when you finally get her home and open the cage, she may view you as the wonderful human who released her from the carrier!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #126
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Back feet first, yep, me too, Mama. And I have to take the carrier out of the closet and put it in the living room 3 days before the appt., so Bud forgets about being afraid of it.

He RUNS into it when the vet is done with him, though.

Vera, I have experienced the trauma you went through - I ended up more shaken and exhausted than my cat. You'll make it!

Lee
i had a cat named kahlua for 15 years. he didn't mind getting into the carrier. getting him out was another story, he would spread all four legs out and brace himself on walls of carrier. and was he strong. usually the vet and i had to do it together. i pulled and he upended carrier. it always made me laugh. the dr. could then care for him, while he hung over my shoulder. boy i loved that cat.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #127
Sous Chef

You might take the top off the carrier, swaddle the cat in a towel and put it in from the top. You have to be quick about it. I learned this method of control from my vet.

You'll figure something out. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #128
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
you could try Rescue Remedy for Pets, it helps calm the cat down.

TheCatSite.com - Beware- The Dreaded Cat Carrier
I bought rescue remedy and was told to rub a little on my cats ears. Funny, all my cats have loved the carrier. I guess I have been lucky that way.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #129
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I bought rescue remedy and was told to rub a little on my cats ears. Funny, all my cats have loved the carrier. I guess I have been lucky that way.
Did you use the Rescue Remedy for humans or for pets ? The one for humans contain alcohol, the pet one does not.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #130
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Did you use the Rescue Remedy for humans or for pets ? The one for humans contain alcohol, the pet one does not.
I was told to buy the human one for Patches when I was giving her subcutaneous fluids. It helped her relax while I was experiencing a learning curve. It worked well. The vet told me to rub a little on her ears, she didn't mind at all.