"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #131
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I was told to buy the human one for Patches when I was giving her subcutaneous fluids. It helped her relax while I was experiencing a learning curve. It worked well. The vet told me to rub a little on her ears, she didn't mind at all.
That's good to know. I put some of the pet one on my cats ears , tho I could put it in their water or rub it on their paws .

Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #132
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
It was suggested to me when I first got Julia that I leave the carrier out and let her get acquainted with it in the house. It turned out she enjoyed playing "house" in it, so whenever I had to take it somewhere, she didn't argue and fight when I went to put her in it.

Later, I got one of those new rollabord carriers, and she liked that even more than the old one. I never left them out all the time, just long enough for her to not be intimidated by it.

OTOH, she was really manhandled by the first vet who ever saw her, and ended up hating the vet for life. Even tho the next and always vet was very kind and loving, they never could even weigh her without first sedating her! (And that first vet was recommended by "Friends of Animals!" -- some friend! )

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #133
Master Chef

Cats and dogs will always match hug for hug that you give them and far more than you can give them.....that's why it's so painful to let go of them .....but for the most part....we have been fortunate in that we've never run into a vet who should not be in the practice...........all of them have been been caring....most are caring as well...could you be a vet?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #134
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Cats and dogs will always match hug for hug that you give them and far more than you can give them.....that's why it's so painful to let go of them .....but for the most part....we have been fortunate in that we've never run into a vet who should not be in the practice...........all of them have been been caring....most are caring as well...could you be a vet?
Oh, Debs. Our current vet is nothing short of an angel. When we had to put our dear Justin down, he cried along with us. He's brought on two younger vets and they are just as caring as he is. Woohoo! We're lucky.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #135
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Thanks for the tips....I'll try the carrier again on Saturday...but I'm seriously going to need lots of cocktails when it's over.
Around here, some vets have mobile units and make house calls. Could you go that route? Be careful with your cat - a bite can land you in the hospital. My cat bit me once and I had to get stiches and then because cat bites are not a good thing, I got really sick from it and had to be hospitalized. An angry cat should NOT be messed with!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #136
Master Chef

you're right, Toots.......my brother in law got cat-scratch fever from a swipe of a paw (actually I know deep down that he (outlaw...not cat) (deserved it) he traveled with us from College Station to San Antonio and traumatized our cat who decided not to like him.......smart cat.........:):):)
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #137
Master Chef

I could not be a vet anymore than I could be a nurse or a doctor.......what a job they have ..........glad there are so many great ones out there.......never saw a dog put down but went and held my best friend's hand.......the vet held her other........
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #138
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
Around here, some vets have mobile units and make house calls. Could you go that route? Be careful with your cat - a bite can land you in the hospital. My cat bit me once and I had to get stiches and then because cat bites are not a good thing, I got really sick from it and had to be hospitalized. An angry cat should NOT be messed with!
Oh yes, cat bites can be very nasty. They can carry a certain bacteria in their saliva that can cause a pasturella infection if it is a deep bite. I used to work in a veterinary emergency clinic and got bitten from time to time and I got an infection from a cat bite once, too. Of course, we knew to watch for any cat bite that turns red and swells very quickly, so I started antibiotics within hours and avoided hospitalization.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #139
Master Chef

our first cat (Kiitty---I know original) who was vicious with strangers had in great big red letters in his vet records and several exclamation marks....WATCH OUT!!!!n There was a reason.........when my husband passed by him a la natural (without clothes) he reached out and swatted him and left his signature on his bodunkus.......
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #140
Executive Chef

Several years ago i had a cat that would attack my neighbors irish setter if it tried to come on our porch.