"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
Head Chef

Congrats on the new addition. I am still lobbying for a new pet. I am a stray catcher. My last cat, Pepper, was a stray that was brought in by my daughter.

I was thinking of a dog but most of them around here are on a leash with their owner so I am having a hard time luring one in! I hate strays on leashes!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
Everymom

My Tuxedo boy was a stray. He hung out at my Mom's house for a long time. There had been a stray girl cat that had kittens and mom was feeding them all. Then suddenly the mom kitty disappeared and there was Tuxedo looking after all the kittens. He would bring them around and check out the yard before letting them come eat. He'd position himself between the door and the kittens "just in case". As time went on and the weather got pretty bitter out, Mom would set the dishes just inside the door and leave the door cracked open to encourage them to come in. Well, Tuxedo would come in...check it out and go to the door and "Prrrt!!" for the kittens to come eat. My Dad started sitting in that room to watch the dinner show and at first Tuxedo would just sit and watch him, but pretty soon when Dad called, Tux would jump in his lap til the kittens were done eating. They were completely feral, but he had obviously had a home. Well, one day, Mom just picked him up, took him to the vet for the snip job and shots and brought him over to our house. (I'd said we would take him if she could catch him). He didn't hesitate, toured the house...used the cat box and then jumped on our bed for a grooming session. He's slept in my arms every night I've been home for the last 14 years.

I'm supposed to tell you that this picture is called "Bohemian Rap Kitty". Do I need to mention he is a very patient cat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc july 5 007.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	6636  

Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Head Chef

Strays make the best pets--they are ever so grateful. I don't believe you will have any regrets. Sadie and Celia were strays that adopted me at Rescue Village.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Head Chef

Wow, Vera, very cool!

I'm amazed that Max would make himself at home on the couch next to Lou so quickly. He must not be feral - excellent!

What you are "getting yourself into" will be determined by how much enjoyment you find in your cat. Cats are relatively low maintenance, and but they can be as loving and fun and as much comfort as dogs.

Not to mention WARM!

Here's the view of my lap, as we speak. I have an 18 pound furry blanket in Bud. Kinda nice, since I only keep the house at 62 degrees.

Best of luck with your new baby, Vera!

Lee

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
Everymom

HOLY MOLY! thats a BIG kitty.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
sweet story, Vera. I think you'll be glad you did that.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm just in awe of Zoe........she's the cat that allows my granddaughter to throw her across her shoulder like a fur wrap and the cat doesn't protest.........she hugs her, kisses her, squeezes her and this cat just takes it all in without protest...........we've teased and commented that she's brain dead but she is the sweetest, most kind cat that I've ever met and I emphasize this to my granddaughter who is going to think that all cats are like this........I love Zoe.........dumb cat.........thank goodness.........:)
Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

What a great story. Reminds me of how Smarty adoped us! He showed up 2 years ago early spring...looked scrawny and under fed. He was scared of us at first. I would set on the patio patiently waiting quietly until he would wander close...finally I coaxed him on my lap and slowly he started to trust us. We fed him outside until the critters started moving in on his food --- we had racoons, possum and even skunks showing up trying to steal his meals! He was very cautious of the inside, but was soon making himself at home and he has been training us ever since - and has become an "indoor-outdoor "cat. Named him Smarty because he was "smart" to find our house + he knocks the screen door when he wants in! Strays have a special way about them. Congratulations!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundays are for napping.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	6637  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #19
Master Chef

Smarty sounds like he's smart........glad to hear that you've given him a great home......debs
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
is this you first time having a cat for a pet? they are very different from dogs as you will find out. good for you
I've had a few parakeets in the past, but this is the first warm blooded creature, other than my children.