"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Executive Chef

verablue, that is a beautiful story.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
Executive Chef

We had a female tabbycat wander up to our place a month and a half ago. She was friendly as all get-out, immediately letting the kids pick her up, etc. PeppA called me to let me know that this cat was currently purring away contentedly in her lap. The next morning, "kitty" (as the kids called her) promptly started catching mice out of the garage. Living out in the sticks, mice are a problem. We decided to let her stay. She knew immediately what a litterbox is. I'm not sure if someone just abandoned her, or if she's a barn cat that wandered away from her farm. I know she spent some time outside, as she was skinny as heck, and had a really thick fur coat (this was in November).

Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
Master Chef

VB, bless you for taking the cat in. Just remember , cats do their own thing, they are independent creatures , lot of times they will give affection on their own terms.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Vera, I am glad I am not the only one that brings the strays in! I thank anyone that does take these poor little critters in. We have 3 that were strays...plus 3 that weren't! The latest is a little orange tiger female that we found out on the back porch just before Christmas. We took her to the vet for shots and spay right off, the money spent justifies keeping her! We named her Noelle but call her NoNo.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I've had a few parakeets in the past, but this is the first warm blooded creature, other than my children.
my cat thomas is a wonderful companion. just he and i so he stays close to me. sleeps on my bed, etc. he has a gentle manner. he meows and chirps at me all the time. mostly he wants to be petted. cats are very clean i think. dogs not so much. i hope you really enjoy having him around.
babe
Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Clearly you've passed the test and have been adopted. Congratulations!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #27
Head Chef

My "Reggie" was a stray and while I've never had a cat before her (and never meant to!), I'm so happy I have her. When we adopted our dog, he became her baby and she keeps him in line and frequently reminds him who the queen is. She loves steak and pancakes and is a healthy 22 Lbs, much better than the meager 6 when I took her in 10 years ago. She loves to be loved (on her terms of course) and truly makes our little family complete.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
VB, bless you for taking the cat in. Just remember , cats do their own thing, they are independent creatures , lot of times they will give affection on their own terms.
They definately are independent little creatures. If they had thumbs, they woudn't need people.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #29
Master Chef

Vera,
I'm really jealous of you.... I would loooove to have a cat again, but the way we live it's almost impossible.. right under the roof, no chance for the cat to get out, except around the decks of our house... Not sure, what the neighbours will say....

I think a cat would be the perfect pet for you...
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I've had a few parakeets in the past, but this is the first warm blooded creature, other than my children.
And just remember, you are nothing more than warm-blooded furniture to a cat!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote