"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
our stray kitty adopted us in july. She is the most wonderful pet. She entertains us by going crazy with all her toys (she has more then the kids did when they were little), then when she settles down she always snuggles up on someones lap.
My girls say it was fate that she came to us. First with putting my dog to sleep in Nov. she helped ease the pain. Then to have my hubby actually like her (he hates cats) and lasts she behaves alot like our dog did. We were truely blessed and I hope you will be too Vera.
I'm sure you kitty will come back, the first 2 months or so gracie-kitty spent about an hour in the house and the rest outside and now eventhough the weathers cold and snowy she moews like crazy to go out. On one of the nicer days we let her out and she was gone most of the afternoon and when she heard my car pull in she came running.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #42
Head Chef

Maybe Max wants to visit Sadie and Celia. lol

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Dogs have Owners. Cats have Staff.
My new signature. Thanks!

My SO and I are foster parents for the NSPCA. We get litters of kittens when they have been brought to the shelter and take them home and care for them until they have their shots, have been spayed/neutered, and are ready for adoption. Our current litter of FIVE are all tiny delights. We adopted one foster from a previous litter and are 'holding' another that was sick, but now we're just having a hard time letting go. So we are STAFF to three who own us (all rescues), the one we're having a hard time giving back, and the five babies who we call BlackJack, Keno, Roulette, Pai Gow, and Bingo. So, if you're keeping score, that's NINE total inside pusses.

VeraBlue... I enjoy your little novellas. Do you write? Blog? If not, you should.

Z
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z View Post
[...]

VeraBlue... I enjoy your little novellas. Do you write? Blog? If not, you should.

Z
first, you are welcome... I saw a picture on this subject a few weeks ago, but I can't even remember if it was german or english...

Do YOU write blog?
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
My SO and I are foster parents for the NSPCA.
Oh you are good people to do that - I think we would have a difficult time parting with any of the kitties after fostering them, and we would soon have dozens and dozens of cats! My husband is the same as me - the little feral kitty we are trying to tame actually hopped on our bed during the night last night and dozed with us for a bit. Big progress, but he still won't let us touch him.

Vera - I know you are probably working today, but we are all wondering....has Max come back?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #46
Head Chef

I was just checking in to see if Max came back too. No word yet?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Do YOU write blog?
I have thought about it a few times but do not really have the time to put into it. Additionally, I don't think I have the 'gift' of turning every day events into pleasant, compelling stories. Finally, I don't want to start something unless I can see it through. Blogging, to me, should be something of a commitment... and right now I don't think I could make the commitment and I don't want to start something only to quit a short time later. Maybe one day I will change my mind and begin to chronicle events and observations. But not right now.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #48
Head Chef

Is Max back??
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z View Post

My SO and I are foster parents for the NSPCA. We get litters of kittens when they have been brought to the shelter and take them home and care for them until they have their shots, have been spayed/neutered, and are ready for adoption. Our current litter of FIVE are all tiny delights. We adopted one foster from a previous litter and are 'holding' another that was sick, but now we're just having a hard time letting go. So we are STAFF to three who own us (all rescues), the one we're having a hard time giving back, and the five babies who we call BlackJack, Keno, Roulette, Pai Gow, and Bingo. So, if you're keeping score, that's NINE total inside pusses.

Z

I blog in my head, but thanks for asking. I believe part of my ancestry belongs to Edgar Allen Poe.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #50
Executive Chef

No, Max hasn't been back yetand I go outside looking for him every morning. If I was Max, I wouldn't come out at 4:15am either. I call for him when I get home too, but it's usually well into dusk by then. Rarely did I see him that late. I leave food outside for him. Thing is, any one of his pals (or could it be a her? I see no clues, Fisher's Mom...) could be eating the food if they get there first. There are a few strays that wander around and all know the pink food dish by now.
I called for him again last night about 6pm or so...go no sight of him so returned to the house. No sooner did I close the front door did I hear mewling on the front step. Excitedly, I grabbed the door, only to see Max's uglyface brother trying to do his best Max impersonation. I call him uglyface because I cannot spell 'facciabrute', which means ah..ugly face in italian. No offense to him, but he's got strange black fur spots all over his face, and his mouth area is black so it looks like he's got ebola virus. And, he's just not lovable sounding.... So, while he's smart enough to know where the goods are at and quick enough to come up the front steps I'm not ready to let this one in. I did go out the back door to feed him, though...so I'm not completely shallow.

So I'll wait till Saturday and spend most of the day out back waiting with a huge butterfly net and some kitty kibble.....and a cat carrier so I can get him or her to the vet.

Thanks everyone, I love the stories and the pictures. I have some of Max and will try to get them on here.
Wish me luck...