"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
It's funny; every evening I stand, freezing feet in the snow psss pssing away and calling 'here maxi, c'mon maxi'...and every time Facciabrute shows up. I'm convinced his name really is Max. So, now I feed facciabrute and find myself getting lost in his lovely eyes. And Fisher's Mom.....Facciabrute has those two clues you were talking about, plain as day. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Max really is a Maxine. Facciabrute is about 3 pounds heavier than Max, has much bigger back feet, and a much lower sounding meow.

I'm thinking of taking a ride to the shelter this week for some adoption proceedings.

And the thing with Facciabrute that really kills me is that he comes right up the front steps or sings to me from the back yard...and seems to be saying, 'hey won't I do?'

All told, there are 4 cats that meander through my yard on any given day. One is black as night, one is a grey long hair bushy tailed thing, one is Facciabrute and the other is Maxi. I get the feeling they all might be related except the grey hair. He really has a different look and hair/tail than the others.

My kids are concerned that I'll start taking in all the strays and move just one step closer to complete dementia....which really would be perfect as I'm already steamrolling towards menopause. Why not do that bit of nastiness with a house full of strays? We can all catterwall together.
Sorry Max has not come back yet. Having a group of cats is not dementia Love is a many splendored thing... in this case... many cats
I had 9 cats and 3 dogs at one time , does that make me demented ?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #62
Executive Chef

No, LadyCook....unless you were also steamrolling towards menopause at the time.

Back in the 80s there was a news article about a reclusive family in the town my husband grew up in. Eventually, the board of health had to be called in because the stench wafting from the house was visible to the naked eye. In the home 65 cats were discovered, along with about 10 years worth of newspapers, a developmentally disabled adult who refused to ever leave his chair (and yes, all that entails) and one kooky woman who insisted all was well. There was no running water or electricity either. (for the record, my husband grew up about 6 miles outside of NYC...so we all had running water and electricy). There are times when I see the simplicity of that woman's life. Don't know whatever happened to the family, but most of the cats were placed in loving homes.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Poor Facciabrute, don't give up. You may get adopted yet. Show how smart you are, how sweet you are.....you know what to do....
Your friends, Sadie and Celia
Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
No, LadyCook....unless you were also steamrolling towards menopause at the time.

Back in the 80s there was a news article about a reclusive family in the town my husband grew up in. Eventually, the board of health had to be called in because the stench wafting from the house was visible to the naked eye. In the home 65 cats were discovered, along with about 10 years worth of newspapers, a developmentally disabled adult who refused to ever leave his chair (and yes, all that entails) and one kooky woman who insisted all was well. There was no running water or electricity either. (for the record, my husband grew up about 6 miles outside of NYC...so we all had running water and electricy). There are times when I see the simplicity of that woman's life. Don't know whatever happened to the family, but most of the cats were placed in loving homes.
wow that is a lot of cats! I can only imagine the stench. At the time of 9 cats , I was steamrolling towards menopause , it was around 1990.
All cats were given to me over a period of time in need of a home, even the 3 dogs needed a home. Anyway, I would not change a bit of it .
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #65
Master Chef

you've heard of the underground wailroad.......your name has been hissed along from miles beyone........pssssssssssst...........Miss Vera Blue is an easy stop and shop.........jest kidding......nice to hear that you help the poor things out...........we need more like you...........:)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #66
Executive Chef

First of all, let me thank all of you who have read and replied to this thread. It makes me feel real good to know that you all get what I'm feeling over here.
Honestly, I've never been a cat person. Never really been a dog person, either for that matter; but we did have a dog for a short time when I was growing up. As my own kids were growing up we never had a pet in the house. I know they would have wanted a dog and I didn't want to get involved with all the walking and picking up of the poops. The house isn't all that large, either and the rooms tend to be very small. Maybe not getting a pet for the kids was a mistake, I don't know. So, now, my son lives with his lovely girlfriend, upstairs from her parents. Now, he has (because they have) 6 cats and two dogs, so he's covered. My daughter still lives here at home but stays in the city several nights a week with a friend who has a dog....so she's sort of covered, too. When these cats started coming around last sumer it was cool to feed them because they were friendly and didn't seem sickly. Once the weather turned, I began leaving food out for them every day. I think they are as hooked as I am, ya know?

I'd like to take them all in, but I saw what Max went through...always looking at the two doors in the house, waiting to be let out. I think it was bound to happen, Max getting out, that is. I'm worrying about all of them, today, but I think they like roaming around and doing their cat thing outside. If Max shows up again, I'll open the door. If he (she?) comes in, great...but I don't want to be the one to force the issue. I'll feel like a cat napper if I have to physically pick the cat up.

On the other hand, all your stories and pictures; the fact that Lou just had to put his late mother's Missy to sleep last month (that's a whole other story...he was so broken up about that); the fact that I have the house to myself most of the time; and finally the fact that I liked having a cat here makes me ready to really adopt one, possibly two. I'm going to go to the local animal shelter and see who needs me.

I do have a couple of questions for all of you, since you've hung out with me this far...
Why do you think they all of sudden showed up when they did? They were not abandoned kittens when they first came around...all were full grown. Lou suspect that someone may have put them out, or they may actually belong to someone who lets them roam freely.
Second...what are your thoughts on getting two kittens? My reasons for getting two is that I'd like them to be able to interact with each other because I'm gone from 5am till usually around 6pm most days. I see the two as company for each other.

Again, thanks for the complete conversion.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #67
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Hi Vera - First tow cats is a good idea. The interaction makes a better life for them.

I can't really say about why the cats came around when they did, but, they may well have belonged elsewhere. I had an orange cat for years, who would sometimes be missing for a day or so. I later found out that she had a regular route established and many of my neighbors had different names for her.

I have had pets most all of my life and definitely feel that they enhance you life. I have 2 labs now and while tow male labs are quite a handful, I really enjoy them. In another life I had up to 5 cats.

Coming home to an empty house is better with someone waiting for you. I will leave you with this - "Dogs have owners, cats have staff." Not a deterent, or a commercial for dogs. I loved every minute with my cats.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #68
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
I do have a couple of questions for all of you, since you've hung out with me this far...
Why do you think they all of sudden showed up when they did? They were not abandoned kittens when they first came around...all were full grown. Lou suspect that someone may have put them out, or they may actually belong to someone who lets them roam freely.
All these things are possible, but if I had a cat I let out, he or she would wear a collar with an ID tag on it.
Quote:
Second...what are your thoughts on getting two kittens? My reasons for getting two is that I'd like them to be able to interact with each other because I'm gone from 5am till usually around 6pm most days. I see the two as company for each other.

Again, thanks for the complete conversion.
My late, lovely Julia was a spoiled only child. When she was about 6 months old, I tried to introduce another kitten into the house (actually twins) and Julia nearly killed them. I really wish I had gotten 2 at the time I got her, but she was rescued as a solo, so that wouldn't have been possible. I always thought it would have been good for her to have a feline playmate. (She thought I was just a big cat.) so if you are going to get one, I'd vote for two. Same sex, so no chance of "accidents."

You might want to wait a couple more weeks, tho, to see if Max comes back. Then keep him inside, or collar him before letting him out.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #69
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
ah.. don't forget...
“Dogs have Owners, Cats have Staff.”
and that is why my home is named "Chez Julia." She allowed me to pay her mortgage and provide her with the creature comforts.

Im just waiting until I feel like getting another one. Right now I'm still missing her too much..
Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #70
Head Chef

I have always had cats in pairs as well. I think it is better for them to have company. One can't be home all the time and I wouldn't want them lonely. I have mine microchipped but they are indoor cats. A was told that collars--even the break aways are choke hazards so I stopped using them. My pet boarder insisted and her arguments made sense to me.