Made himself at home, he did...a cat story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
our stray kitty adopted us in july. She is the most wonderful pet. She entertains us by going crazy with all her toys (she has more then the kids did when they were little), then when she settles down she always snuggles up on someones lap.
My girls say it was fate that she came to us. First with putting my dog to sleep in Nov. she helped ease the pain. Then to have my hubby actually like her (he hates cats) and lasts she behaves alot like our dog did. We were truely blessed and I hope you will be too Vera.
I'm sure you kitty will come back, the first 2 months or so gracie-kitty spent about an hour in the house and the rest outside and now eventhough the weathers cold and snowy she moews like crazy to go out. On one of the nicer days we let her out and she was gone most of the afternoon and when she heard my car pull in she came running.

Dogs have Owners. Cats have Staff.
My new signature. Thanks!

My SO and I are foster parents for the NSPCA. We get litters of kittens when they have been brought to the shelter and take them home and care for them until they have their shots, have been spayed/neutered, and are ready for adoption. Our current litter of FIVE are all tiny delights. We adopted one foster from a previous litter and are 'holding' another that was sick, but now we're just having a hard time letting go. So we are STAFF to three who own us (all rescues), the one we're having a hard time giving back, and the five babies who we call BlackJack, Keno, Roulette, Pai Gow, and Bingo. So, if you're keeping score, that's NINE total inside pusses.

VeraBlue... I enjoy your little novellas. Do you write? Blog? If not, you should.

Z

[...]

VeraBlue... I enjoy your little novellas. Do you write? Blog? If not, you should.

Z

first, you are welcome... I saw a picture on this subject a few weeks ago, but I can't even remember if it was german or english...

Do YOU write blog?

The Z said:
My SO and I are foster parents for the NSPCA.
Oh you are good people to do that - I think we would have a difficult time parting with any of the kitties after fostering them, and we would soon have dozens and dozens of cats! My husband is the same as me - the little feral kitty we are trying to tame actually hopped on our bed during the night last night and dozed with us for a bit. Big progress, but he still won't let us touch him.

Vera - I know you are probably working today, but we are all wondering....has Max come back?

Do YOU write blog?
I have thought about it a few times but do not really have the time to put into it. Additionally, I don't think I have the 'gift' of turning every day events into pleasant, compelling stories. Finally, I don't want to start something unless I can see it through. Blogging, to me, should be something of a commitment... and right now I don't think I could make the commitment and I don't want to start something only to quit a short time later. Maybe one day I will change my mind and begin to chronicle events and observations. But not right now.

My SO and I are foster parents for the NSPCA. We get litters of kittens when they have been brought to the shelter and take them home and care for them until they have their shots, have been spayed/neutered, and are ready for adoption. Our current litter of FIVE are all tiny delights. We adopted one foster from a previous litter and are 'holding' another that was sick, but now we're just having a hard time letting go. So we are STAFF to three who own us (all rescues), the one we're having a hard time giving back, and the five babies who we call BlackJack, Keno, Roulette, Pai Gow, and Bingo. So, if you're keeping score, that's NINE total inside pusses.

Z

I blog in my head, but thanks for asking. I believe part of my ancestry belongs to Edgar Allen Poe.

No, Max hasn't been back yet:cry:and I go outside looking for him every morning. If I was Max, I wouldn't come out at 4:15am either. I call for him when I get home too, but it's usually well into dusk by then. Rarely did I see him that late. I leave food outside for him. Thing is, any one of his pals (or could it be a her? I see no clues, Fisher's Mom...) could be eating the food if they get there first. There are a few strays that wander around and all know the pink food dish by now.
I called for him again last night about 6pm or so...go no sight of him so returned to the house. No sooner did I close the front door did I hear mewling on the front step. Excitedly, I grabbed the door, only to see Max's uglyface brother trying to do his best Max impersonation. I call him uglyface because I cannot spell 'facciabrute', which means ah..ugly face in italian. No offense to him, but he's got strange black fur spots all over his face, and his mouth area is black so it looks like he's got ebola virus. And, he's just not lovable sounding.... So, while he's smart enough to know where the goods are at and quick enough to come up the front steps I'm not ready to let this one in. I did go out the back door to feed him, though...so I'm not completely shallow.

So I'll wait till Saturday and spend most of the day out back waiting with a huge butterfly net and some kitty kibble.....and a cat carrier so I can get him or her to the vet.

Thanks everyone, I love the stories and the pictures. I have some of Max and will try to get them on here.
Wish me luck...

No, Max hasn't been back yet:cry:and I go outside looking for him every morning. If I was Max, I wouldn't come out at 4:15am either. I call for him when I get home too, but it's usually well into dusk by then. Rarely did I see him that late. I leave food outside for him. Thing is, any one of his pals (or could it be a her? I see no clues, Fisher's Mom...) could be eating the food if they get there first. There are a few strays that wander around and all know the pink food dish by now.
I called for him again last night about 6pm or so...go no sight of him so returned to the house. No sooner did I close the front door did I hear mewling on the front step. Excitedly, I grabbed the door, only to see Max's uglyface brother trying to do his best Max impersonation. I call him uglyface because I cannot spell 'facciabrute', which means ah..ugly face in italian. No offense to him, but he's got strange black fur spots all over his face, and his mouth area is black so it looks like he's got ebola virus. And, he's just not lovable sounding.... So, while he's smart enough to know where the goods are at and quick enough to come up the front steps I'm not ready to let this one in. I did go out the back door to feed him, though...so I'm not completely shallow.

So I'll wait till Saturday and spend most of the day out back waiting with a huge butterfly net and some kitty kibble.....and a cat carrier so I can get him or her to the vet.

Thanks everyone, I love the stories and the pictures. I have some of Max and will try to get them on here.
Wish me luck...

I hope you get him , VB. I know how you feel. We still feed Otis but he comes around when he feels like it and does not want to be an indoor cat. Having the newest cat Tuxie is a handful right now tho I love him anyway.

Oh, I hope he comes home soon VB. Maybe try cracking the door open and cooking some chicken. All of mine (and the neighbors) come running when they smell chicken cooking.

when I got my last cat about a million years ago, he spent two days with us and was gone.. after a fight with the neighbouring tomcat.....
There were rumors from all over the village from people who might have seen him.... but nobody could catch him, he just took some food and disappeared again.
After six!!!! weeks a picture of misery found its way in our garden... he wouldn't let anyone touch him, but he was grateful to get something to eat.
From that on he stayed with us/me until we had to put him down eight years later....

stupid cat.....doesn't know a good thing when he sees it........then why am I crying....stupid cat......I love you and miss you.........you stupid cat......and you're going to freeze your derriere off and I'm going to worry about you.....you stupid cat.....yeah, Vera, we've all been in your place.....I know exactly what you're going thru..........I have nothing to make you feel better except to call it names........stupid cat........seriously, I hope that your new baby makes it home and stops you from worrying about him...........I was just kidding about the "stupid cat".........

It's funny; every evening I stand, freezing feet in the snow psss pssing away and calling 'here maxi, c'mon maxi'...and every time Facciabrute shows up. I'm convinced his name really is Max. So, now I feed facciabrute and find myself getting lost in his lovely eyes. And Fisher's Mom.....Facciabrute has those two clues you were talking about, plain as day. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Max really is a Maxine. Facciabrute is about 3 pounds heavier than Max, has much bigger back feet, and a much lower sounding meow.

I'm thinking of taking a ride to the shelter this week for some adoption proceedings.

And the thing with Facciabrute that really kills me is that he comes right up the front steps or sings to me from the back yard...and seems to be saying, 'hey won't I do?'

All told, there are 4 cats that meander through my yard on any given day. One is black as night, one is a grey long hair bushy tailed thing, one is Facciabrute and the other is Maxi. I get the feeling they all might be related except the grey hair. He really has a different look and hair/tail than the others.

My kids are concerned that I'll start taking in all the strays and move just one step closer to complete dementia....which really would be perfect as I'm already steamrolling towards menopause. Why not do that bit of nastiness with a house full of strays?:wacko: We can all catterwall together.

Poor Facciabrute, don't give up. You may get adopted yet. Show how smart you are, how sweet you are.....you know what to do....
Your friends, Sadie and Celia

Back
Top Bottom