"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Master Chef

Magazines and other periodicals

What are your favorites, and why? I used to love magazines when I was younger, then gave up on them when one (during the first gulf wars) (I think it was glamour)) gave advice on how women could get out of their military commitments should they have to go to war. Huh? What, the US military is a social welfare program?

So cancelled that.

Then, as I've been aging (I'm 57, and you might have guessed, a vet),I'm looking for magazines that I might be interested in. NOT right- or left- winged political dog doo.

So over the past few years, I've picked up a mag here and there, geared to older women.

What have I found? All the fashion models who made me feel inferior in my teens and twenties, now telling me how to be thin and gorgeous like them. Huh? That's it?

Does anyone know of magazines that have a literary bent? Short stories and such? I feel like it has to be out there somewhere.

I've taken USN&WR, and various other news mags, but am thinking in terms of more literary stuff.

Any ideas?

Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just read cooking magazines, Diabetes Forecast and AARP news. Oh and a huge stack of catalogs...

Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I love the LCBO Food and Drink magazine. It is available on-line. I also snag all my mom's Better Homes and Garden mags when I'm there. I scan the recipes and decorating ideas and then donate the magazines to a shelter.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I love Better Homes and Garden mags, also all the Home ones, like Country Garden and House
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Master Chef

I love Guideposts and Angels on Earth (stories of faith). I also get Reminisce and Reminisce Extra (folks sharing their memories of childhood and "the olden days"). Those I read faithfully. I stopped getting Reader's Digest recently. They changed it alot. It's gotten more like a health magazine with a few stories than a story magazine with a few health tips. Off and on I'll subscribe to World of Puzzles for a year.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Head Chef

I subscribe to BBC Good Food magazine and I like Jamie Olivers magazine. Basically I love food mags.

However with my shallow thirst for gossip I regularly buy the likes of Ok, Hello and Heat just to keep up with who's had botox/lost weight/gained weight/got married/divorced/had a baby. All vital things I need to know in my little world.

I used to love Martha Stewarts Living magazine but for some reason can't get it in Costco any more and nowhere else stocks it. So to remedy this I will probs get an Ipad this week and I can get a Martha app. I love Martha, she is in complete la la land at times. I love that Martha world.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I no longer read magazines. The food mags I used to get were mostly ads with a couple of recipes then more ads.

The same is true of other mags too. It's interesting to pick up an international airport issue of Time magazine and see how thin it is without ads.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When I was writing full time I subscribed to at least 13 magazines, mostly food-related, along with a bunch of online reading sites. When I retired I dropped everything then, as time progressed, I eased back into subscribing to one magazine, Southern Living.

I'd subscribed to it when I was writing and really enjoyed it. I never tried a recipe that wasn't stellar, there was plenty of gardening information (something I love), travel discussions and a section on great books to read, of which I've taken their advice and discovered several wonderful reads.

I've been given a number of, in order, copies of Good Housekeeping and can't seem to warm up to it. Too much advertising and the general content just doesn't seem geared to my lifestyle or thinking.

When it first came out, I took Taste of Home and really enjoyed it. I saw a copy of it at the bookstore the other day and hardly recognized it. It's changed a lot.

Most of the magazines that I see on the racks now are filled with either politics (it's an election year), pop culture crap or mega-health trend magic that I'm turned off.

No matter what magazine I have/get, I "peel" it before I even read the first word. By that I mean I remove ALL the pages that have advertising on both sides and shake out all those annoying reply cards that are tucked in or stuck in. Then, and only then, will I read word one of the publication.

I figured the percentage of the magazine taken up by this mess was almost 30% of a magazine I picked up not long ago. That bothers me and really gets my goat when I see the newsstand price printed on them. Ugh!

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

In answer to your question, Claire, you might find some value in Southern Living. Check it out the next time you are out.

And, I never pay full subscription price. The publishers are always offering some sort of deal. I think my current annual fee for my Southern Living is $16.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I love cooking magazines, almost all of them but I dont subscribe to anything. It feels like stopping a magazine contract is next to impossible at times.

I love Southern Living and Better Homes and Gardens, Food and Wine, Bon Appetit.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I forgot to mention my Nursing Magazines and periodicals. I get them delivered at work.

Tags
other