"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Mr. Greenjeans

Major Milestone

I'm pretty proud of this. Normally I am pretty low key when it comes to pounds lost and stuff like that but this is nice after so long.

A little background. I'm a big boy. Some would say scary huge. I was in an adult body long before my brain ever caught up (some would say it hasn't yet!) I broke 6 foot at the age of 12 and I was every bit as large as a man. No tall slender basketball player here, I was all football size. I've never been thin but all through my teens I was just a little pudgy. Not fat, just soft. I went through a series of blue collar jobs in my late teens and I turned into a block of muscle. My appetite was huge and I burned it all off at work everyday. Then I graduated from college and suddenly I started to get fat. Desk job, duh. I had to get things under control or I was gonna get huge. I worked out and started watching my intake and things leveled off and were cool.

Cut to a few years ago. I started to get a bit pudgy again. Well I was approaching forty, people get fat at forty! My oldest girl wanted to do something with daddy. We signed up for Taekwondo. Perfect! Work out, lose weight, get rid of the pudge, be able to kill with a finger... We went to class 3 times a week and I gotta tell you, there were times that I had black dots in my vision telling me that I was close to passing out! They worked my A$$ off!! I fulfilled the requirements of the class, I was gaining muscle again, however I was actually gaining weight. I went on a strict diet and followed it. I worked out in addition to the Taekwondo. I was still gaining weight!!!

I went to my HMO doctor and was basically told that I was lying. That I wasn't working out enough. That I was not following a diet. That I was looking for a diagnosis of obesity so I can claim an operation to lose weight!!! Finally I DEMANDED that this quack test my thyroid. After she heard from my lawyer she relented and tested me. Well surprise surprise, my thyroid is out of wack!!! Too bad it took so long that I had to quit Taekwondo or replace my knees.

They usually check your numbers and then give you a dose. Then they test you again in about 60 days and then adjust the dose up or down. They usually have to do this about 3 times to judge how the dosage effects the numbers. After 4 dosage changes, each one accompanied by radical mood swings as a side effect. I asked why she hadn't been able to arrive at a closer dosage. She told me that this was only my second dosage!! I said "No, this is actually the test after the 4 dosage change." She again called me a liar!! I told her that I had all the old dosages at home still. Nope, I must be crazy. I dumped her like a hot potato and waited until I could change my insurance so I could go to my old doctor.

6 months later and my thyroid is working. Bad habits had set in though. Why be good on a diet if you actually gain weight? I can eat what I want and gain!

At 347 lbs my doctor demanded that I lose weight. I blew her off for another 6 months. Finally, my wife asked me for help. We had a formal affair to attend and she bought a dress that she loved but only came in a size that would have been very tight on her. Would I help her lose weight.

That was late September. Today I weighed in at 299.6 lbs. I still have a little ways to go but I call that a good start.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Head Chef

Congratulations!
That is quite an achievement indeed!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Way to go BD..We are so proud for you...Did your wife get into that dress?
kades
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

That's great news, Notsobigdaddy3K!

Good for you for dumping the idiot Dr. and doing the hard work to drop all those pounds. I really know how hard it is to do.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Way to go BD..We are so proud for you...Did your wife get into that dress?
kades
Yes she did! Now she swims in it.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's great news, Notsobigdaddy3K!

Good for you for dumping the idiot Dr. and doing the hard work to drop all those pounds. I really know how hard it is to do.
Height and shoulder width will keep me as big daddy forever. ;-)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Everymom

WOOT WOOT!!! Atta boy!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Master Chef

AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

That is great BD! Way to go!!!