Major Security Flaw in Internet Explorer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a major flaw in Internet Explorer that could allow attackers to steal passwords or take control of your computer. For more information see:
BBC NEWS | Technology | Serious security flaw found in IE
and lots more at:
Slashdot | Experts Say To Switch Browsers In Light of IE Vulnerability
Experts are advising people to switch to another browser such as Firefox or Opera.

Are the "advising experts" from Firefox or Opera by any chance?:ermm: IE has been full of holes from the day they introduced it. This latest scare is nothing new, which is why I'm on a Mac with Firefox.

I read this last night. It is only supposed to be affecting people who use IE7, of which I am one of :^( The hackers can access your computer if you visit a website they have invaded (for lack of the correct word). I am hoping by sticking to my normal websites I am protected.... That websites such as this one have their own firewalls in place against this kind of thing.
They are supposed to have the patch out today.

Thanks for the heads up Russell. I suppose I should have posted something when I read it.

Oh, and I also read other browsers have their security faults, too, it's just that MS tends to make the front pages. I guess they are the pit bull terriers of the computer world (lol).

thanks russel.

the worst part is that you don't have to download or run anything to get this security breach. it's a "drive by" download. you just have to visit an infected site, and you could pick it up.

just be careful what sites you visit until there is a patch. gaming and nookie sites are the worst.

nookie sites are the worst.

:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO: Forgive me for laughing BT, and I'm not making light of a serious situation....its just that I haven't heard the word "nookie" in years! Rest assured, I will leap at every opportunity to use it for the next couple of days, and giggle all the while!

Yeah-I'm immature-so what!!

:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO: Forgive me for laughing BT, and I'm not making light of a serious situation....its just that I haven't heard the word "nookie" in years! Rest assured, I will leap at every opportunity to use it for the next couple of days, and giggle all the while!

Yeah-I'm immature-so what!!

This should really grab ya then, SK....
Back in high school, shortly after the first Star Wars came out, being seen out with a not so pretty person was considered Wookie Nookie :ermm:

This should really grab ya then, SK....
Back in high school, shortly after the first Star Wars came out, being seen out with a not so pretty person was considered Wookie Nookie :ermm:

Fred, that must have been waaaaaaaay before my time (just how old are you?), or it's one of those unique Pensyl-Tucky terms. Thank goodness this is a family site, which prevents me from sharing the vernacular of the immature male from the 60's. I spent so much time getting my mouth washed out with Fels Naptha soap, that I acquired a taste for it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fels Naptha soap is something else that I have not heard about in years.

Joe, it could be regional. I grew up un Utica NY and DW grew up in Lethbridge, Alberts, AC. We have very different vernaculars. It gets funny sometimes.

AC

just be careful what sites you visit until there is a patch. gaming and nookie sites are the worst.

And you know that how....? ;)

Lee

P.S. Adillo, I sell Fels Naptha soap at my hardware store. It's a product I brought in because it is SO good as a laundry pre-treatment for stains. :)

Oh, and I also read other browsers have their security faults, too, it's just that MS tends to make the front pages. I guess they are the pit bull terriers of the computer world (lol).

While it is true that other browsers have their security faults, they don't tend to give quite as much access to the operating system itself, as they are just applications. IE is deeply embedded into the operating system due to Microsoft's desire to win the browser war back in the Netscape days, which makes its vulnerabilities much more likely to give access to the underlying OS.

I just had to say something because I have a pit bull, and like to make clear that any bad rap that pit bulls have is much less justified than Microsoft's.

While it is true that other browsers have their security faults, they don't tend to give quite as much access to the operating system itself, as they are just applications. IE is deeply embedded into the operating system due to Microsoft's desire to win the browser war back in the Netscape days, which makes its vulnerabilities much more likely to give access to the underlying OS.

I just had to say something because I have a pit bull, and like to make clear that any bad rap that pit bulls have is much less justified than Microsoft's.

Very good point.

Back
Top Bottom