"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Sounds like some of my kids. The oldest, 13 (and autistic) will only eat meat. Both of my twin boys are going through this phase as well.

I also have to admit that I'm a "grazer", especially at work. Hey, I have to perform quality-checks on my food before service! Of course, there's also the trial-run appetizers that I'm working on for the next week's specials, which I usually push off on other cooks and waitstaff :)

Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
My grandson (3) is a grazer for sure. At grandmas house I put his plate on the end table in the living room, and it may take him half the morning to eat his scrambled eggs, sausage and toast. It gets cold by the time he eats it. He does pretty well for me this way. Mom or Dad would never do this - but hey- its Grandmas house. I do this with every meal - works for me!

Old 12-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I have a picky eater so I enjoyed reading all the good advice. Just curious, did your son suffer from acid reflux?

We had a dietician come to the house to evaluate my son, who is a big snacker and extrermely picky eater. He suffered severe acid reflux as an infant and toddler. Her advice, which usually works, is to tell him he gets one snack between meals unless it is a fruit or vegetable. As soon as he asks for a snack show him on the clocke when it is time for a snack. He gets no snack before that time. My son wasn't even three yet and he understood. If he wants fruit or vegetable that was fine, but only one snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner.

I'm sure your doctor told you to make sure he takes a vitamin - the little guys only get 1/2 of the Flintstone-type ones. Make sure the vitamin says "complete" on the box.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

squzie, have you trid changing the times that you eat your meals?

we've found that our son starts grazing when he gets hungry, and if you let him snack too much then you're in for a battle to get him to eat the regular meal. then, when he should be getting ready to go out or go to bed, depending on if he skipped lunch or dinner respectively, he gets hungry again which makes him cranky and resist going out or going to bed. it turns into a fiasco.

so one day when this cycle began we happened to have dinner ready early, which he devoured, and went to sleep early. thankfully!

the next day he was back on his regular schedule.

maybe your boy would prefer to eat meals at different times than you're trying?

just a thought.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
What great advice everyone has given you!!!! Also, look at his intake for the week to see if it's balanced - they certainly don't eat balanced on a daily basis. My son would go through phases where he wouldn't eat much of anything for a couple days. He would eventually get hungry and eat though. You might also want to take a look at the cookbook Jerry Seinfeld's wife has published. It has some GREAT ways to sneak in good stuff.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
You might also want to take a look at the cookbook Jerry Seinfeld's wife has published. It has some GREAT ways to sneak in good stuff.
lol, not that there's anything wrong with that.

the recipes are real, and they're spectacular!

thanks newman, umm, i mean, elfie.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, not that there's anything wrong with that.

the recipes are real, and they're spectacular!

thanks newman, umm, i mean, elfie.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
Sous Chef

sq, DM just reminded me of dd..for 2 mos all she ate was saltines, hotdogs and milk. The Dr. said not to worry, she just found something she liked and that it would change, it did. Sticks of butter like candy!! :>} She would even climb up on the table to get to it!
She was 2 yrs old.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #19
Everymom

Suzi, it takes exposing a child to something new roughly 21 times before they will feel comfortable enough with it to try it. I know how worried you are, my youngest was frighteningly picky (and at nearly 12 is not yet 70lbs.) He WILL eat when he is hungry, and strangely enough, he will also eat nearly the correct proportions of food...just not all in one day. As kitchenelf said, its more likely to be in a weeks period that he balances all his food groups. Some days he might be in a "protein" mood and another a "carb" mood. Try not to stress yourself out. Just set some firm boundaries that you can enforce without freaking out and stick to them. He will follow through. Michelemarie has some wonderful advice there and its a pretty easy way to get your little guy to eat at mealtime.

Good luck to you!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I hope all the posts have helped ease your worries, Suzi. Lots of perfectly normal kids with absolutely wonderful mothers have odd eating habits at times. As long as he is energetic, healthy and growing well, you are meeting his nutritional needs. (But a daily multivitamin is important for our "picky" eaters.)

Also, remember that a child who overeats is a much bigger problem in the long run than a "picky" eater.