"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
Hmmm... that might explain why my corn to popped corn ratio is quite low, only about 90% pop. I always pop mine dry and add the butter after.
I think I`ll try the oil in it first and see how that goes, Thnx :)
Make sure you use oil to pop it though, and then do the butter. I tried popping it in butter once, and it didn't turn out very well!

Barbara

Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Head Chef

When I owned my ice cream shop I popped a ton of popcorn all day long. If you want true "movie theater" popcorn do what they do: Use coconut oil (it comes in sticks like butter), then add 1 Tbsp. of Flavacol, it's an orange colored popcorn flavoring that gives popcorn that golden yellow color and that fantastic flavor. It is the most delicious popcorn I've ever had and my friends can't get enough. I finally told them where they could get the ingredients - Smart and Final or any other commericial food store.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Omigosh..."popcorn!" That's one of the food groups in our house. We've used everything from a little space ship-type electric popper, to an air popper, to Jiffy Pop, to any kind of pan on the stove.

However, we're now sold on something called a Whirley Pop pan. I tried to find an appropriate link, but couldn't. Regardless, it's the best thing we've ever found to pop corn.

What it amounts to is a big pan with a "whirly" stirrer in the bottom. We just add oil, let it heat up and add the corn and some salt and let 'er rip. Almost never have any unpopped kernels.

We always add salt to the oil because it seasons the corn so much better then adding it later.

Oh, darn, now I want popcorn and I just had dinner.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Omigosh..."popcorn!" That's one of the food groups in our house. We've used everything from a little space ship-type electric popper, to an air popper, to Jiffy Pop, to any kind of pan on the stove.

However, we're now sold on something called a Whirly Pop pan. I tried to find an appropriate link, but couldn't. Regardless, it's the best thing we've ever found to pop corn.

What it amounts to is a big pan with a "whirly" stirrer in the bottom. We just add oil, let it heat up and add the corn and some salt and let 'er rip. Almost never have any unpopped kernels.

We always add salt to the oil because it seasons the corn so much better then adding it later.

Oh, darn, now I want popcorn and I just had dinner.
Is this it ?
Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper
Old 09-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yep, that's it and it's the best thing we've ever found to make popcorn. Been using it for years. No "old maids," easy to use and quick.

Bought it at our local ACE Hardware Store for under $20. They didn't have it in stock, but it was on the ACE master inventory. Our store ordered it and we got it. Glad we did!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thank you all! I just made a batch following all of your good advice (let the steam vent, heated the oil before I added the popcorn, etc). It turned out perfect! Thanks again for teaching me how to make popcorn
Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
Master Chef

you want to make great popcorn and not worry about the calories........use pure bacon grease.......my god that stuff is to die for............it makes the best popcorn ever........all the oldtimers here will agree with me.........won't you???
Old 10-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Katie, the one I have is like yours, only it has a different name. I love it!

Barbara
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Yep, that's it and it's the best thing we've ever found to make popcorn. Been using it for years. No "old maids," easy to use and quick.

Bought it at our local ACE Hardware Store for under $20. They didn't have it in stock, but it was on the ACE master inventory. Our store ordered it and we got it. Glad we did!
I couldn't agree more. This great pan is the best thing I've ever used for making popcorn. Perfect popcorn every time. Ok, except for my commercial popcorn maker in my shop. LOL.