"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Man Dies After Ruby Tuesday Serves Him Wrong Dish

This is very sad.

LOVEJOY, Ga. A man with a shellfish allergy is dead after eating an entree with crab at a restaurant.
An autopsy Monday confirmed that 35-year-old Rodney Hawkins went into anaphylactic shock and died after eating the dish at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in Lovejoy last week.
Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead said Hawkins had ordered a chicken dish that contained no shellfish but was served another chicken dish that contained crab.
But Rick Johnson, spokesman for the Marvyille, Tenn.-based Ruby Tuesday company, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the server's order pad and the kitchen ticket indicate that Hawkins ordered the Chicken Oscar, a dish with crab meat.
Johnson called the situation "tragic" and expressed condolences for Hawkins' family.

FOXNews.com - Man Dies After Ruby Tuesday Serves Him Wrong Dish - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Oh that's just horrible.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Master Chef

This is how Ruby Tuesday's menu describes "Chicken Oscar." I really doubt that he ordered it.

"Chicken Oscar
Tender jumbo lump crab meat with asparagus tips and lemon-butter sauce atop a fresh grilled chicken breast. Served with fresh, steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes."

This is a tragedy and also a reminder for those with food allergies to ALWAYS carry an epipen.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Executive Chef

While I feel bad for the man and his family, I must also wonder if he told the server very specifically he had a life threatening shellfish allergy. If he notified the server and then ordered a dish that included shellfish, and she didn't point it out to him, then it would be the restaurant's fault. Generally people with severe allergies will alert the hostess and the server.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef

How horrible.
The crab is put on top though. (I just read about this recipe last week, but with veal)
I don't know how the diner could have mistaken it, even if the waitperson screwed up.
There's alway so much more to these stories than what's reported.
And yeh, you would think, re: reminder jenny gave.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Sous Chef

That is horrible! It does seem strange that he wouldn't have noticed or tasted crab in the dish. But the menu just says crab meat, so maybe it was shredded and hard to see. The waitress could easily have written it down wrong. My son can't eat gluten and I know I'd be furious if someone got his order wrong like that. Of course, for him it wouldn't be life-threatening. It would just make him sick.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Sous Chef

My wife has seafood allergies and is always EXTREMELY careful when we go out to eat anywhere. We've had a waitress get our orders reversed before, and of course I had seafood in mine. Her nose is very sensitive when it comes to seafood, so she can always sniff it out before eating anything.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
That is horrible! It does seem strange that he wouldn't have noticed or tasted crab in the dish. But the menu just says crab meat, so maybe it was shredded and hard to see. The waitress could easily have written it down wrong. My son can't eat gluten and I know I'd be furious if someone got his order wrong like that. Of course, for him it wouldn't be life-threatening. It would just make him sick.
By the time he noticed or tasted it, he could already have been in shock. It can happen just that fast. I am just that allergic to kiwifruit.

And the restaurant will be liable, in any case, unless they can prove that the man purposely ordered the dish to commit suicide!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
By the time he noticed or tasted it, he could already have been in shock. It can happen just that fast. I am just that allergic to kiwifruit.

And the restaurant will be liable, in any case, unless they can prove that the man purposely ordered the dish to commit suicide!
Legally they'd only be liable if he informed them beforehand of his allergies. If he did not, they have no liability.

I get a bad reaction to banana peppers and when I go to Subway I make the prep guy change his gloves before I get my veggies. If I forget, it's not Subway's fault but if I ask and they refuse, then it is. There's no indication in the story that the man informed them of his allergy.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyema
This is how Ruby Tuesday's menu describes "Chicken Oscar." I really doubt that he ordered it.

"Chicken Oscar
Tender jumbo lump crab meat with asparagus tips and lemon-butter sauce atop a fresh grilled chicken breast. Served with fresh, steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes."

This is a tragedy and also a reminder for those with food allergies to ALWAYS carry an epipen.

I doubt he ordered this too! I wonder if he meant to order Chicken Fresco??? I wonder how he didn't know (see/taste) the difference between tomatoes, and crab meat/asparagus tips on the chicken breast??? Then again...maybe he did, and like Chef June said...It was already to late....

Chicken Fresco....From Ruby Tuesday's Online Menu
A fresh, grilled chicken breast topped with seasonal vine-ripened tomatoes, lemon-butter sauce, and a splash of balsamic vinaigrette. Served with fresh, steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote