"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
Sous Chef
There's a reason classic summer foods are barbecue and salad. I agree with everyone saying have cold dishes and try barbecuing/grilling. If you're really hot though I'd just stick with the cold dishes because they'll be pleasant and refreshing.

Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #12
Head Chef
Without A/C... a person would quite literally die in Las Vegas. Even the homeless manage to find shelters during the summer months. I still cook, but I don't do a lot of baking or roasting.

Dogs have owners ~ Cats have staff.
The Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Master Chef
Almost everyone has AC around here, and at this time of year, there are city cooling centers for those who don't. Not only does it get hot here, but the humidy just eats us up.
When I was a little girl, nobody had AC in there homes, and very few businesses had it either. There were a lot of Saturday, Sunday, and even occassional week-day matinees at the movie theater, which was air-conditioned. People got out of there houses and went for rides, or to the drive-in. Sometimes they even slept outside. I remember my mom putting me in the bathtub, where I'd slide around and splash all afternoon, until my fingers and toes looked like prunes.

One bad summer, when a polio epidemic swept the midwest, a boy two blocks away was stricken, and a friend of my Dad's lost his little girl. Nobody knew what to do. They closed down the swimming hole at the lake, we couldn't go out and play with our friends, and I spent afternoons on a quilt on the linoleum floor in the kitchen with a fan blowing on me, because mother's were advised to keep their children from getting over-heated.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef
We didn't have ac when I was growing up either and had to make do with lots of shade trees and the sprinkler. We did go to the beach a lot and have that miserable ride home with all the sand on us. My grandmother and grandfather had a sleeping porch on their farm house for really hot weather, but their place was covered with pecan trees so there was always a nice breeze.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
We just got central air earlier this year. And we also have a pool.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
Master Chef
Never thought that I would say this, but I'm ready to go back to the steppes of Kazakhstan where the winter temps can (and did) get to -45 this past winter. Just heard from my hubby who is there and the current temps are in the 70's during the daytime and a light jacket is needed in the evenings. I'm currently in Houston where it is hot, muggy, and buggy. I'm helping out with my 78 year old mother-in-law who is not doing very well and hoping that she survives this summer. Houston would not exist without a/c--PERIOD! All my sincere "I feel for you's" that those of you are going thru this heat wave now--I hope and pray that the weather changes soon for you.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #17
Executive Chef
window units and outdoor kitchens.

Originally Posted by Half Baked

That's what I've been doing for the last couple of weeks. I've never lived in a house w/o AC and I still don't want to turn the stove on.
I live in a very old home, built in 1917 so no possibility of central AC. Instead, I employ window units in all the bedrooms upstairs and a large one in the living room. As a result, the dining room and foyer, both off the living room reap only some benefit from the AC. The kitchen, on the other hand, remains circling the 7th level of Dante's hades. No respite save early morning. The air conditioner has never been a match for the stove or oven.

There was a time when all the homes in my neighbourhood had what was referred to as outdoor kitchens. They were more like sheds in the yards, with oven, stove, sink and worktable. This way, the housewives could cook in those rooms and not heat the home overmuch. I'd kill for one of those...and people have killed for less.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #18
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I keep my AC pegged at 60, and LOTS of ice water at work...I would much rather be cold, that's for sure.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:21 AM   #19
Senior Cook
We have a heatwave here in the uk at the moment (yes we do get them every few years )
We tend to eat more salads when it gets this hot, and eat later on the patio when the sun has gone down. Good thread
Romany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:56 AM   #20
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
It's hot like Hades here. We eat a lot of salads and eat out more than normal. I find that the dollar theater (theaters are always super cool) is a great place to be - and relatively cheap too.

BTW, don't go see Garfield II, It's really bad.

vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote