"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer
We were taught the basics, that you start with the silverware on the outside and work your way in as the meal progresses among other things. At one point I knew what most of the pieces of silverware were for, but now I would struggle to remember many of them I think.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
I was taught to eat with my Fork....not my hands!!!
Use the Spoon for soup....don't drink it out of the bowl!!
Your Knife is for cutting the pork chop...don't just pick it up and take a bite!!!
Don't wipe your hands on your blue jeans, nor your mouth on your shirt sleeve....use your napkin!!!
Clean your plate!!! There are children starving all over the world!!!
Oh! If you don't like what you momma cooked...Keep your mouth shut!!!!

The other stuff came later........

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
Master Chef
I suppose it is ironic that husband learned proper table setting from his mother .... because she was a maid! She made sure he knew how the other half lives. I come from a military family, and Mom was apalled that she did not know this stuff, so she made sure we knew what was what rather than be embarassed at some future date. I was glad for the lessons when I found myself dating the youngest West Point graduate and sitting at the head table. It is all good and well to tell your kids to watch and follow (really, it is the best lesson), but there I was with everyone watching and following ME. Thank heaven for those early lessons. Another time a man I worked with (very high-ranking DOD civilian) came to me and asked me to be his "date" for a function. His wife couldn't be there and he just wanted someone who could sit at the head table and he knew I could do it. It is weird sometimes the places life takes you.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
Executive Chef
We were taught how to lay the table for various situations, what to use when, etc and we were expected to utilise this knowledge in pretty much every situation. We were taught traditional English settings and courses. This extended to eating vendor foods as well. There was a rule for every eating situation but don't read that as tyrannical, but manners/rules were taught and expected to be followed.

The picture you post Andy, would not have been acceptable in formal situations (as I was taught), as only the glassware was to be above the plates. Different cultures though have differing views on what is preferable.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
Sous Chef
We don't have any particular table manners for Indian food. But my mom taught us some table manners for other cuisines. And we follow some manners when we are dining in a restaurant or in a party.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
Master Chef
hmmm, I think you do. It isn't easy to eat from your hand, and right vs left can be an issue. Different manners, perhaps, but still learning something from childhood.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #17
Master Chef
I'm ok wth anything as long as people don't use their cell phones and lick their plates in front of me.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As children, we were always told to use our best manners when dining...and if we didn't, believe me, we did the next time.

We were also taught what the different pieces of silverware were used for and how they were to be placed when setting a table.

When Buck and I had children, we had something once a month called "Dinner Sunday," at which I always set a formal table and the children had the opportunity to exercise their knowledge and skills of "the table."

At the time, we lived in the Washington, DC area and occasionally had to attend some formal "affairs." Our daughter dated the son of a diplomat and was exposed to some hoity-toity events. She was always confident and behaved in an exemplary manner. We were/are so proud of her.

You never know when you will have to use some (almost) unnecessary knowledge. Kind of sad in today's fast food society.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #19
Master Chef
By-the-way, I came from a relatively large family myself. The reason we had good china was because Daddy, an Air Force sergeant, got stationed in Germany, and Mom went to the factories and bought seconds! She did the same with crystal. So dress up Sundays came into being. And yes, many of them were, Katie E, in DC! Are we related?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Sous Chef
Like most of you have posted, we were taught table manners as children, and over the years, I've been mighty glad.

But the original post was titled Manners - Table and Otherwise. Is it just my age showing, or do folks no longer teach manners to children? I'm talking about common courtesy: please and thank you; not interrupting; yes maam & no sir, staying in your seat at the table or in a restaurant; not yelling or screeching in public places; etc. These are all things that are summed up simply as respect or courtesy.

These manners are as necessary for fitting in to business and professional situations later in life as table manners are, but sadly, too many parents seem to think their little darlings don't need to be trained.

Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote