"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Celini Send a message via Yahoo to Celini
I do enjoy that show but I don't get too much over top or try not to anyways.

I have the more down to earth hubby to keep me on solid ground and he is good as a weight, he is nice to hold on to when there is a storm He is 6' and loves me to bits but he also thinks I am a bit over the top at times and tells me to cook something simple for once

Cheers from CC and Mo hubby and Blaze the first food testing Springer spaniel
Celini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #32
Master Chef

I'm bringing this one back up, partially because I'm writing about manners in a column an am simply curious about others' experiences. I wrote table and "otherwise" because table manners are the worse experiences ... going to an expensive restaurant for a special occaision, after 7, so we aren't talking family hour, and quite literally having to move my feet because children were playing under my table. This wasn't a chain restaurant (and I love some of them for lunch, don't get me wrong) but a place where we were going to pay well over $100 for dinner for two with a decent wine, and we're going to look evil because our anniversary dinner is spent with children under our table and we're not crazy about it. We must hate children. Huh? This was many (say 10) years ago, and in a relatively small town (Daytona). I'm sure the same dinner would cost over twice that now. We wound up gobbling our expensive meal, expensive wine, and running away to a dark bar where we had an after dinner cocktail, and ran home.

When I talk basic manners, I'm talking stupid stuff like when you take your kids out to dinner, especially at a place that isn't specifically meant for children, keeping them at your table and the local environs. Not screaming around the restaurant, tripping the wait staff.

Basic manners at a young age means staying in your seat. And basic parent manners means not taking the children to places they are not capable of coping with.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

I am just going to play devils advocate for a moment Claire, but first let me say for the record that I basically agree with everything you said. Now onto the devil part

As to keeping kids in their seats, that is an issue we have with our 2 year old son right now. It is exceedingly hard to keep him in his seat, even at home. It is something we have been actively working on with him for a long long time, but he wins the battle more than we do it seems. My daughter was always perfect in restaurants. People would often come up to us to compliment us on how well she behaved (better than many adults), but the same can not be said for our son. Because of this we hardly ever go out to eat any more, but there are times when you just need to do it. We took a road trip to NY for a family affair last weekend. We had to stop for a meal on the way so we were forced to go to a restaurant. He was horrible in there. He refused to sit in his seat. This was a very loud, very busy place with wait staff walking all over the place at fast pace carrying large platters. Not the type of place you want a 2 year old running around. As often happens now we ended up having one parent eat while the other was outside with him and then switching. BUT (and this goes to my point) there are times when he is a perfect angel and sits properly and behaves. You never know which little boy you are going to get. Now my case is extreme as we usually know he will be bad so we usually do not go out, but there are others who maybe usually behave, but sometimes don't. They are kids after all. There is no way to predict how they will act. I am not saying that kids playing under the table is acceptable. It is not. What you experienced though could have been the exception to the rule though and you just happened to pick the unlucky night to go out when they acted that way.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #34
Master Chef

When I took my wife to Japan during our honeymoon many many years ago one of the things I wanted her to experience was the typical ramen shop, located at practically every street corner. She was absolutely turned off and disgusted by all the loud slurping that were going on. While she was enjoying the bowl of ramen I had to explain to her that the proper way to eat ramen was to slurp (but not with spaghetti) and this was ok while she was in Japan, but I told her never to do this in the states, otherwise, I'd be the one getting embarrassed....:D
Old 10-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #35
Master Chef

Actually I learned it in Home Ec class in Junior High years ago.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Actually I learned it in Home Ec class in Junior High years ago.
About slurping? :D
Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #37
Master Chef

GB, I'm not talking about a dinner at a family restaurant at family times. Believe me, I have three sisters who among them have 8 children. When I go to dinner at family-oriented restaurants before 7 p.m., this is what I expect. When I was a child we ate out fairly often (we were military and ate out more than most) we weren't allowed to leave the table. Heck, we weren't allowed to leave the dinner table at home until excused, but I do recognize that those days are gone forever. However, I do believe that people do know and recognize their own children, and simply should not bring them to pricy restaurants beyond the children's abilities at hours when they are least able to deal with it all. If you cannot afford a babysitter, maybe you can't afford to go out ... or just choose a reasonable hour and a place where most people have children ... there are so many good choices for family restaurants nowadays, where Mom and Dad can get a decent meal, and the kids aren't so bored stiff that they mis-behave. And children being taken out to dinner when they really should be (and normally are) in bed? Everyone knows that at a certain point children are fussy because they are tired. But allowing your children to play under a table where others are trying to eat just doesn't cut it. And it wasn't just one isolated event.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #38
Master Chef

But generally speaking, I think most of my good mannerisms came not from home, but from my attending parochial school. I attended Catholic schools from nursery through grade 6. And no, we were not Catholic.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
About slurping? :D
not slurping setting the table correctly.