"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We will have an early dinner at The Stone of Accord and then back home for Irish Coffees.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Here in California St. Paddy's day is one of the days that city, county and state police are put on extra alert to seek DUI/DWI drivers who have too much of the Irish spirit in them (the spirit being whiskey, or sometimes beer/lager/ale). Only a fool would drive on St. Paddy's day in LA. The only intelligent alternatives are having a designated driver or enjoying the celebration at home.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Here in California St. Paddy's day is one of the days that city, county and state police are put on extra alert to seek DUI/DWI drivers who have too much of the Irish spirit in them (the spirit being whiskey, or sometimes beer/lager/ale). Only a fool would drive on St. Paddy's day in LA. The only intelligent alternatives are having a designated driver or enjoying the celebration at home.
How does having a designated driver help? I wasn't drunk. I could have been the designated driver. I drive more carefully than most people.

The fool who hit me was drunk. Lucky for him there were two cops watching when he rear ended me. Why do I say lucky for him? Because if I had had to exchange drivers license and insurance info with him, I'm not sure what I would have done. He destroyed my beautiful Volvo, Knud. He would have been lucky if I just spat on him. So, I guess lucky for me. I avoided assault charges. As it was, the cops got all the info and I never spoke to the man.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
Executive Chef

The designated driver helps only in assuring that your own party will not be held responsible for any accident.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
The designated driver helps only in assuring that your own party will not be held responsible for any accident.
Yeah. But when it's insane out, I prefer to only go as far as I can walk. And then I can drink
Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Myself I prefer to stay at home during holiday periods. I've done this for years. If they hold a holiday I'd rather cook at home. Don't even want to face overcrowded restaurants.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah. But when it's insane out, I prefer to only go as far as I can walk. And then I can drink
Me, too.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

we'll celebrate at home with corned beef, spuds, and cabbage, and then i have to go into work. so no fun for me.

my dad, a retired nyc fireman, says st. pat's day is called "amateur's day" in the firehouses.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Head Chef

I observe the holiday by baking a loaf of Irish Soda Bread from a recipe printed in the St. Louis, MO, newspaper. A nice, dense, free-form round loaf - plain whole wheat, no raisins, not sweet at all. Smear with soft butter. Wooooo. Livin' dangerously.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
Wine Guy

For the last five years on St. Patty's Day, I've made a big pot of Irish Stew, along with a couple of loaves of soda bread, and taken it into the office to share with my co-workers.

I'm not Irish and neither are most of my colleagues, but we are all usually hungry come lunchtime.