March 17th: Irish Pub Bouncing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Morning Everybody,

Saint Paddy´s is only 2 weeks away ... What is on the agenda, Irish or not, it is a time for Irish Pub Bouncing ... Where to ?

Cornbeef and cabbage ? Desserts ?

We usually go to the Irish Pub located in our neighborhood for a few Celtic treats and in emerald green sweaters ( which we save for this occasion ) ... I have an Irish colleague who is married to a Spaniard and they join us for a Pub Crawl ...

Cornbeef with cabbage for lunch ...

Dessert ?

Something Green ? I sometimes make some cookies with green sprinkles and / or green icing ...

Any suggestions on the dessert part ?

Kindest.
Margi.

Last edited:
My little tourist town has a lively St. Paddy's day, and we'll bar-hop. I'll make a humongous pot of corned beef, probably before, which will later be Rueben sandwiches and a soup I make for a shut-in friend, so I make the broth part especially tasty.

I find Irish Soda Bread to be on the sweet side; a slice of that topped with some fruit of a sort (in a bit of sugar and some Irish Whisky perhaps?) topped with whipped cream. Sort of like strawberry short cake.

I do not celebrate St. Patrick's Day because I am not Irish. I do not celebrate Cinco de Mayo because I am not Mexican. I do not celebrate Bastille Day because I am not French. I do, however, celebrate the Lunar New Year because I am Looney!

Though I am not Irish, Spain likes to have a Fiesta

Spain has many foreign expats, Irish being one of the large communities. Thus, an excuse to bar bounce and party ... Fiesta ...

Margi

We have an Irish section called Tipperary hill and it comes to life on St. Patrick's day. I will probably go on a mini pub crawl. As a side note they have a statue on the hill in honor of the Stone Throwers. When traffic lights were first installed in the city the Irish Stone Throwers used to throw rocks at the trafic light on Tipperary hill and break the red lens. They were upset because in an Irish neighborhood the top lens should be the Irish green one. The city finally gave in and changed the light so the green light was at the top and it remains that way today. The statue was erected in memory of those boys by the local publican, Peter Coleman owner of Coleman's Irish Pub. It has operated on Tipperary hill since prohibition ended. It is a fun place, it even has a small door with a stained glass window for the "little people". If you would like to learn more, or see the statue, google Coleman's Irish Pub. :lucky:

Last edited:
I will try to stay home on St-Paddy's day. We have a lot of celebration here and the drunks are on the roads. I lost one car that way. Got rear-ended by a drunk.

Just like New Years Eve and now Mardi Gras, I don't go out on St. Pat's either. Heck, I don't go out at all any more except in the daytime to shop.

I really wish I could bounce back to the little back street Irish Pub we found in Stresa!:( The Bushmills was well represented in thier Irish Coffee. Heck, I just want to go back to Stresa! Actually I just want to go back to Italy.

Here in California St. Paddy's day is one of the days that city, county and state police are put on extra alert to seek DUI/DWI drivers who have too much of the Irish spirit in them (the spirit being whiskey, or sometimes beer/lager/ale). Only a fool would drive on St. Paddy's day in LA. The only intelligent alternatives are having a designated driver or enjoying the celebration at home.

Here in California St. Paddy's day is one of the days that city, county and state police are put on extra alert to seek DUI/DWI drivers who have too much of the Irish spirit in them (the spirit being whiskey, or sometimes beer/lager/ale). Only a fool would drive on St. Paddy's day in LA. The only intelligent alternatives are having a designated driver or enjoying the celebration at home.

How does having a designated driver help? I wasn't drunk. I could have been the designated driver. I drive more carefully than most people.

The fool who hit me was drunk. Lucky for him there were two cops watching when he rear ended me. Why do I say lucky for him? Because if I had had to exchange drivers license and insurance info with him, I'm not sure what I would have done. He destroyed my beautiful Volvo, Knud. He would have been lucky if I just spat on him. So, I guess lucky for me. I avoided assault charges. :ermm: As it was, the cops got all the info and I never spoke to the man.

Myself I prefer to stay at home during holiday periods. I've done this for years. If they hold a holiday I'd rather cook at home. Don't even want to face overcrowded restaurants.

we'll celebrate at home with corned beef, spuds, and cabbage, and then i have to go into work. so no fun for me.

my dad, a retired nyc fireman, says st. pat's day is called "amateur's day" in the firehouses.

I observe the holiday by baking a loaf of Irish Soda Bread from a recipe printed in the St. Louis, MO, newspaper. A nice, dense, free-form round loaf - plain whole wheat, no raisins, not sweet at all. Smear with soft butter. Wooooo. Livin' dangerously. :rolleyes:

For the last five years on St. Patty's Day, I've made a big pot of Irish Stew, along with a couple of loaves of soda bread, and taken it into the office to share with my co-workers.

I'm not Irish and neither are most of my colleagues, but we are all usually hungry come lunchtime. ;)

Back
Top Bottom