"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Marijuana Fuels a New Kitchen Culture

You may need to sign into the NY Times website, but I believe it is free. Link-->

Chefs Using Marijuana Create a New Kitchen Culture - NYTimes.com

Discuss (or not)

Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to yourstrulyewalani
Maybe I am boring but I have worked food sevice for twelve years and never smoked mj. I have seen aLOT of people smoke before work or on breaks- managers even. I cannot say that it helped the food or atmosphere in any way. Fortunately all food handling was up to standard but it didn't fuel creativity or hospitality one bit. Some seemed to be more antisocial and wanting to hurry through a rush to get another break before the buzz wore off. Maybe my observations were limited but I cannot see how it will help much.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I can see that. The article focuses more on chefs who create food for when they smoke, and less on chefs who create food while they smoke. To quote Bourdain, "(Mr. Chang's) sensibility is that he makes high-end stoner food in one respect but I feel sorry for anyone who shows up stoned for their shift at Momofuku,” he said. “He’d kill them.”