"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Martha Stewart

Anyone a fan of hers? I like a lot of her stuff-- she always seems to do simple and elegant designs. I missed her at the New York flower show a couple of weeks ago; did anyone get to go? Word is she's starting a new floral line w. 1-800-Flowers.com in April... I'm excited to see what she does.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I like her. She's another resource for good recipes. Like her lemon buttermilk pound cake which actually came out like a real pound cake when I tried it. I liked the format of her old show better though, it went into more depth on each topic.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Mmmmmm.. that lemon poundcake sounds really good. My grandma made something similar to that for Easter and it was delicious. I also liked the old format of her show better, but I still like watching the new one. I checked out a preview of her new floral designs and they all look so pretty!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

I don't really watch her show, I have nothing against her just not my cup o tea.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I record her program during the week and "skim" the recordings on the weekend. The new format doesn't hold my attention like the old one did. I do get some good ideas and inspiration from the show, though.

For what it's worth, I made her mother's hot cross buns for Easter and they were fabulous.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Just another over-exposed celebrity now. Gotta hand it to her for business savvy though (except the whole 'getting caught' thing ) now that she's bought Emeril, she's a powerhouse again. I didn't mind watching the old show either, but the new one feels more like an afterthought to juggling umpteen bajillion dollars.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
Just another over-exposed celebrity now. Gotta hand it to her for business savvy though (except the whole 'getting caught' thing ) now that she's bought Emeril, she's a powerhouse again. I didn't mind watching the old show either, but the new one feels more like an afterthought to juggling umpteen bajillion dollars.
Yeah, I agree-- she is a great business woman. I am just impressed by her talent-- this bouquet from her new floral line I thought was gorgeous. I will never be the domestic goddess she is!

http://1800flowers.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog_1800flowers/MSLO_2008/index.aspx
Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Executive Chef

She has so many different things that are interesting on her show and also the Everyday Food and Everyday Baking shows. I don't understand why she needs all those so-called celebrities who often have nothing but a name to contribute. I suppose I'm getting a bit blase about many shows. Usually if I'm watching something, I'm doing something else at the same time.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSides View Post
Anyone a fan of hers? I like a lot of her stuff-- she always seems to do simple and elegant designs. I missed her at the New York flower show a couple of weeks ago; did anyone get to go? Word is she's starting a new floral line w. 1-800-Flowers.com in April... I'm excited to see what she does.
I've made a few of her recipes. I have to give her some kudos in that she is always reinventing herself. Go Martha.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Head Chef

I like Martha, too. Some of the recipes on her show are great. I don't do crafts, though, so usually switch to something else when they have those segments.

She "bought Emeril"???