"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

May be Getting a Bulldog!

I may be adopting a Bulldog through one of the rescue websites!

I've been inquiring about a particular one who lives in Connecticut.

Thought about it, and came to the realization that to buy one from a pet store or a kennel, he could cost as much as $2,000 to 4,000!!

So, I'm looking at this alternative option. I've already spoke to the owner, and she's about to let me have him. His name is Deuce and he's 7 years old.

She has another dog, but Deuce has become jealous, as he wants the attention and feels that he's not getting any and he feels being ignore and rejected.

In order for Deuce to be happy and feel loved and wanted, he has to be with someone who has no other pets in the house or apt. He likes to give warm wet sloppy kisses, she said, so I'll be waiting for him to stick to me like glue!

I told the owner that I'll gladly adopt Deuce and take him in so that he can get the love and attention that he craves and longs for. We just have to work out a plan for me to meet him and take him.

The owner is not charging me anything for Deuce. She has his papers and instructions on his UD diet just to keep him from getting stones in his bladder.

She just wants him to be happy with someone who can love and care for Deuce and spend some quality time with him - someone who will be in his life
and make him feel happy and wanted.

He's a lot like a child who nevers grows up. I'm quite sure that he will be happy and secure being with me!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Kudos getting one from a rescue!

Post some pics!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Go to The Bulldog Club of America Rescue Network, click on Availible Bulldogs ad look for Deuce's name.

Click on it and you'll see a picture of him there.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior Cook

What a mug! He looks like a great lap warmer. Good for you for chosing a rescue.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Distilled water is recommended for stones, too.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

Aww, so cute!! Keep us updated.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
I've had bulldogs pretty much my entire life.

Now that I have a family I had to give mine to my mom. I can't look at a picture of them without wanting them really bad, though!!! :)

They're really addicting, amazing dogs. Their personalities are definitely one of a kind, and they can fart with the best of them.

Are you sure, though, that you want to adopt a 7 year old? Their normal lifespan is between 8 and 10 years. The huge downside to bulldogs is, depending on heritage, they can really cost a LOT of money in vet bills, especially toward the end.

I hope you have a blast with Deuce :)
Old 02-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Oh, he's adorable! He looks like the perfect cuddle-buddy! You will have to post some pictures when he has settled in!

Barbara
Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinemates View Post
...Are you sure, though, that you want to adopt a 7 year old? Their normal lifespan is between 8 and 10 years. The huge downside to bulldogs is, depending on heritage, they can really cost a LOT of money in vet bills, especially toward the end...
I wondered about that myself. Not Corey's wanting to adopt and care for him (I assume he knows what he can expect, and I applaud him for that), but why the other people want to get rid of him. Yes, I know he doesn't get along with other dogs, but at his age I have a feeling he was there first and a younger one came along later. I see ads all the time for older dogs that people just don't want to deal with. Too many people are only happy with young, fun dogs. Still, it is better that they give them to someone who cares than to have them "put to sleep," or to just dump them.

Barbara
Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Senior Cook

They're great - ours turned 10 last month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0336.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	3475