Mean Moms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
If this has been posted before, please forgive me. I never can remember once I get them in an email if I saw them here or not. But, this one is a good one to mention again, if so.

Mean Moms

Someday when my children are old enough to
understand the logic that motivates a parent,
I will tell them, as my Mean Mom told me:
I loved you enough . . .

to ask where you were going, with
whom, and what time you would be home.

I loved you enough to be silent and let you
discover that your new best friend was a creep.

I loved you enough to make you go pay for the
bubble gum you had taken and tell the clerk,
"I stole this yesterday and want to pay for it."

I loved you enough to stand over you for two
hours while you cleaned your room, a job that
should have taken 15 minutes.

I loved you enough to let you see anger,
disappointment, and tears in my eyes. Children
must learn that their parents aren't perfect.

I loved you enough to let you assume the
responsibility for your actions even when the
penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart.

But most of all, I loved you enough . . . to
say NO when I knew you would hate me for it.

Those were the most difficult battles of all.
I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won,
too. And someday when your children are old enough
to understand the logic that motivates parents,
you will tell them.

Was your Mom mean? I know mine was. We had the
meanest mom in the whole world! While other
kids ate candy for breakfast, we had to have
cereal, eggs, and toast. When others had a Pepsi and a
Twinkie for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches.
And you can guess our mom fixed us a dinner that
was different from what other kids had, too.

Mom insisted on knowing where we were at all
times. You'd think we were convicts in a
prison. She had to know who our friends were, and what we
were doing with them. She insisted that if we said
we would be gone for an hour, we would be gone
for an hour or less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the
nerve to break the Child Labor Laws by making us
work. We had to wash the dishes, make the beds, learn
to cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry, empty the
trash and all sorts of cruel jobs. I think she would
lie awake at night thinking of more things for us to do.

She always insisted on us telling the truth,
the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. By the
time we were teenagers, she could read our minds
and had eyes in the back of her head.
hen, life was really tough!

Mom wouldn't let our friends just honk the
horn when they drove up. They had to come up to the
door so she could meet them. While everyone else
could date when they were 12 or 13, we had to wait
until we were 16.

Because of our mother we missed out on lots of
things other kids experienced. None of us have
ever been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other's
property or ever arrested for any crime.
It was all her fault.

Now that we have left home, we are all
educated, honest adults. We are doing our best
to be mean parents just like Mom was.

I think that is what's wrong with the world
today. It just doesn't have enough mean moms!

.... I had the nicest mom in the world. It was great as a teenager but looking back I can see the 'wrong' of it all. She never said NO, never asked and sometimes helped my friends and I get anything we needed to be "bad".

and
that is why

my son still thinks I was a horridly mean mom.

I definitely can identify. Mom to this day says she doesn't realize she was so much stricter than other parents were ... but she knew where we were and what we were doing every single moment of every day until we were on our own. We did house and yard work, and our allowances were witheld if we didn't do our jobs right. Mom didn't spend her days taking us to social activities, we walked, arranged driving rotations (US, not our parents), or didn't go. Drinking was done at home, at family meals, not at parties (I come from a female family, and no one in their right mind wants their daughter to have her first drink on a date). Meals meant prep work, cooking, socializing, cleaning, and we all had to participate fullly in all stages. Was Mom MEAN? You betcha. Thank Heaven!

ladies, you are killing me. Right now I am going thru another bout of being the meanest mom on earth (sorry, MM - it can't be you)

Had to listen to my daughter crying herself to sleep last night. talk about rip your heart out.

Oh man mudbug, that stinks! It is so hard to have your baby hurting even if you know it is the right thing to do. Stick to your guns girl, we are behind you all the way. And see the glowing comments from those who had "mean moms"...someday your daughter will see the light and love you for being "mean".

I'm right. If I were there right now I'd pour you a big old glass of scotch and we could complain to each other. As it is, I'll just send you a virtual Glenfiddich and hug. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{mudbug}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} We meanies have to stick together.

Alix, you are a woman of uncommon taste (the Glenfiddich) and empathy (the lovely hugs). Thank you, sister.

Ironically, I'm not sure I'm being mean enough.

Mudbug,
You're not alone here..Believe me, my kids use to pout, cry, whine, even tried the back talk to me, but,me being me, it just made me dig in my heels and not give in...They threatened to move out so many times it finally got to the ho-hum stage and I had had it so I just said, fine, want me to help you pack?!!!! Kids think they are the ones who cry into their pillows at night and feel abandoned and unloved, wonder how it will feel when they walk in our shoes??? Mudbug, they do change and I now have two of the most wonderful daughters and 2 wonderful sons, the girls are both teachers the boys, one is into cattle and real estate appraisal the other is tops in air conditioning and heating learned in the Air Force...Your little girl will one of these days turn around and let you know, your the best Mom Thank you.

hugs to you Mudbug...
kadesma:)

Mudbug, I feel for you! I'm with you right now girlfriend - although I'm not sleeping good these days either. We are all here for you.

And Alix, what a pity party we could have: Mudbug, Alix and Michele - and of course, our friend Mr. Glenfiddich.

MEAN MOMS UNITE!!!!
As we stand strong to make our children better people and therefore making this world a better place!!!!
Let's raise our glasses,mugs,pitchers to celebrate in whatever libations we need to get us through!!!

Michelemarie said:
And Alix, what a pity party we could have: Mudbug, Alix and Michele - and of course, our friend Mr. Glenfiddich.

Anyone else want to join us? We can do a potluck, I'll bring my mexican layered dip the corn chips, and a pitcher of margaritas. (Assuming the Glenfiddich is already there)

Back
Top Bottom