Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few people, including the ER doctor last night, have suggested this may help me. I will have to talk to my family doctor, but I am not sure if it is a route I want to go. However, if my chronic pain is going to keep flaring like this, I may try anything!

Washington State just legalized recreational pot. The funny thing is that 45% of the first customers were Canadian....and they can't take it back across the border, or be under the influence when they cross. If they tell either border that this is the purpose of your trip you will not be allowed into the States EVER again.

Last edited:
Not to mention, how does a store owner know an individual is low income. Is it tatooed on their foreheads? Do they provide tax returns?

It's not about individual charity; it's about making a medication available to low-income people. And many, if not most, low-income people are eligible for food stamps and/or Medicaid. I would think that an ID card associated with such a program would suffice as proof of low-income status.

It's not about individual charity; it's about making a medication available to low-income people. And many, if not most, low-income people are eligible for food stamps and/or Medicaid. I would think that an ID card associated with such a program would suffice as proof of low-income status.

Does "making a medication available" mean giving it away for free? That's what the report stated. Is CVS required to give away Rx meds? Are supermarkets required to give away food?

Does "making a medication available" mean giving it away for free? That's what the report stated. Is CVS required to give away Rx meds? Are supermarkets required to give away food?

GG said, before I got around to it: It's a media report. Nuff said.

But also read Post # 240 in this thread.

I doubt any pharmacy will give away rx meds (although some have in the past but they probably shouldn't.)

There are ways to get free rx meds IF you are low income.
Needymeds.org

Supermarkets aren't REQUIRED to give away food but many of the larger ones do give about-to-expire shelf life foods to groups that then distribute them to worth agencies who will then pass the food on to LOW INCOME people.

Proof of low income issues aside for the moment.

I have never heard of any government requiring taxpayers (local businesses) to give their product away for free. I'd bet this would not stand up in court. This is really outrageous.

If the City Council wants to provide pot for the poor, maybe they should give out food stamps.

I have never heard of any government requiring taxpayers (local businesses) to give their product away for free. I'd bet this would not stand up in court. This is really outrageous.

If the City Council wants to provide pot for the poor, maybe they should give out food stamps.

Would those cover brownies? :LOL:

A police officer of my (social!) acquaintance told me UNOFFICIALLY that in many cases if someone is caught with a very small amount and has certain documented health conditions (MS was one, IIRC) and clearly had no intention to supply, a blind eye would probably be turned.

As I said this is off the record and unofficial so don't go flashing your pot around the next time you're on the Kings Road in London! Marijuana is not legal in the UK.

Don't quote me!

Last edited:
A police officer of my (social!) acquaintance told me UNOFFICIALLY that in many cases if someone is caught with a very small amount and has certain documented health conditions (MS was one, IIRC) and clearly had no intention to supply, a blind eye would probably be turned.

As I said this is off the record and unofficial so don't go flashing your pot around the next time you're on the Kings Road in London! Marijuana is not legal in the UK.

Don't quote me!

MC, I think we all understand your position.

Yes, I read that definition. How does a potential low income person walk into a store and prove to the store clerk that he qualifies according to that definition?

I'm certain some type of ID will be provided to these people.

I am all for MM, hell, even recreational cannabis, and I LOVE California, but man, do they come up with some crazy laws out there.
I am with you, Andy. I mean, are they going to have to go in with w2's or something?

How about a card like they use for food stamps. They don't give out food stamps anymore. Its like a debit card.
For the record I too am for medical and or legal marijuana.
It time this country joined the rest of civilization.

A few people, including the ER doctor last night, have suggested this may help me. I will have to talk to my family doctor, but I am not sure if it is a route I want to go. However, if my chronic pain is going to keep flaring like this, I may try anything!

Washington State just legalized recreational pot. The funny thing is that 45% of the first customers were Canadian....and they can't take it back across the border, or be under the influence when they cross. If they tell either border that this is the purpose of your trip you will not be allowed into the States EVER again.

Your ER doctor seems like a compassionate, understanding, decent person and his suggestion would be welcomed in my case.

How would border agents know if you took your medicine in the US before driving back to Canada...lol

Exactly. There will have to be a way to verify each customer/patient.
Just like the food program, an ID card would be all they need.
It would also keep folks from trying to get more than is allowed.

No, but the government provides a vehicle to obtain these products free of charge. Ever been in line at a grocery store?

I am not sure about food stamps and free medicines and how the companies are compensated.
I think the pharmaceutical companies give it away for marketing purposes. But I am not sure how a food stamp card enables the merchant to recover the funds? I think the government, IE taxpayers actually pick up this bill.

A debit card type of card is issued with funds to use for approved grocery items. Yes, the govt. is paying. It's not a "charitable" contribution from the store dictated by the govt.

To continue this off topic segue from medical marijuana (which I don't mind at all, the segue that is) :

"Food Inventory Donations The food inventory enhanced tax credit allowed individuals, businesses, and corporations to donate wholesome food to nonprofits and deduct their cost basis plus one-half the difference between their cost and the market value of the donated goods. The value of the credit could not exceed twice the cost basis of the product donated.

As part of the fiscal cliff deal that passed earlier this year, Congress extended the food donation tax deduction for 2012 and 2013. The food inventory credit is expected to be taken up in tax reform."

Incentives for Giving | National Council of Nonprofits

I heard Washington DC was voting this fall for legal marijuana or was it medical?

Florida will vote for medical marijuana in November.

Our state SC legalized cannabis oil prescribed by a doctor, but they have no idea how to implement it. So, its still not available to those children suffering from debilitating seizures.

Good luck to both states in their quest.

I heard Washington DC was voting this fall for legal marijuana or was it medical?

Our state SC legalized cannabis oil prescribed by a doctor, but they have no idea how to implement it. So, its still not available to those children suffering from debilitating seizures.

Our state recently legalized cannabis oil, but ONLY for children suffering from seizures. One poor guy was growing his own and extracting the oil as it was the only thing that helped his cancer. He and his family refused to plead guilty after being caught, went to court, and he was found guilty. He gets to go to prison, and will probably die there. The family assets will also be confiscated.

Our state recently legalized cannabis oil, but ONLY for children suffering from seizures. One poor guy was growing his own and extracting the oil as it was the only thing that helped his cancer. He and his family refused to plead guilty after being caught, went to court, and he was found guilty. He gets to go to prison, and will probably die there. The family assets will also be confiscated.
That's awful, about the guy prosecuted for growing his own medicine.

We have medical, and one dispensary, but, only 4 licences have been issued.

They are wrapping up on making possession nothing more than a $25 dollar fine.

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom