Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our state recently legalized cannabis oil, but ONLY for children suffering from seizures. One poor guy was growing his own and extracting the oil as it was the only thing that helped his cancer. He and his family refused to plead guilty after being caught, went to court, and he was found guilty. He gets to go to prison, and will probably die there. The family assets will also be confiscated.

And here lies the issue. Why would a country such as the good ole USA do this to their citizens?
Shows where our priorities are.
I hope that man is able to avoid prison. He may have been breaking the law, but so are jay walkers.

We have medical, and one dispensary, but, only 4 licences have been issued.
They are wrapping up on making possession nothing more than a $25 dollar fine.

I wish you guys the best outcome on this matter. A 25 dollar fine is a whole lot better than going to jail.

Here is a pretty good read:
Police Unions And Pharmaceutical Companies Fund Anti-Marijuana Fight - Business Insider
They are scared of a plant that anyone can potentially grow, and help alleviate many of the ailments they bank on with addictive, deadly, rx drugs.

Bingo! Legalizing or even decriminalizing will put many police, prison workers, and treatment center employees out of work.
Personally I would be perfectly happy to see most of them on the unemployment line.

Thanks.

Pretty interesting.

British Scientists Prove Cannabis Prevents Cancer Tumours » The High Community

A research team from the University Of East Anglia (UEA) has undertaken ground-breaking research into the beneficial properties of THC and found incredible results. The area of research has otherwise been ‘poorly understood’ due to being a controlled substance in this country and many parts of the world.

Previous studies such as researchers at Complutense University in Spain in 2009 found that THC induced the death of brain cancer cells in a process known as "autophagy."
Previous studies such as researchers at Complutense University in Spain in 2009 found that THC induced the death of brain cancer cells in a process known as “autophagy.”
By injecting Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC into laboratory mice bearing human cancer cells, scientists have discovered two specific cell receptors that are responsible for the disease-fighting effects of the plant.

Dr Peter McCormick, from UEA’s school of pharmacy, said:

“Our findings help explain some of the well-known but still poorly understood effects of THC at low and high doses on tumour growth.

“There has been a great deal of interest in understanding the molecular mechanisms behind how marijuana, and specifically THC, influence cancer pathology.

“By identifying the receptors involved we have provided an important step towards the future development of therapeutics that can take advantage of the interactions we have discovered to reduce tumour growth.”

The study has been published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, a highly regarded science journal which will create real validity to an otherwise discredited substance.

I also find it very interesting that the human body is hardwired with cannabinoid receptors, and we generate our own natural canabanoids.

Pretty interesting.

British Scientists Prove Cannabis Prevents Cancer Tumours » The High Community

I also find it very interesting that the human body is hardwired with cannabinoid receptors, and we generate our own natural canabanoids.

One anonymous poster at the end of that article asked:
"Why do we need a safe synthetic alternative?"

The reasons might be:
First--- it will make some company rich.
Second---growing your own, then using it doesn't guarantee the same dose each time of the right chemical. Unless it's bought at a licensed medical cannabis outlet (if there even IS one in your city) where the 'right' chemical is supposed to be in that batch they may not be that tightly controlled. (I don't know if that's true, though, just typing out loud.)

Buying it off the street would certainly be my last choice!

The reasons might be:
Second---growing your own, then using it doesn't guarantee the same dose each time of the right chemical. Unless it's bought at a licensed medical cannabis outlet (if there even IS one in your city) where the 'right' chemical is supposed to be in that batch they may not be that tightly controlled. (I don't know if that's true, though, just typing out loud.)

I would add that
1) a synthetic alternative is designed to provide a predictable dose of the needed chemical based on the specific characteristics of the patient, such as age and weight and
2) drugs bought from random sources may be adulterated with unknown chemicals that could cause serious health problems.

The reasons might be:

First: I agree, and that is clearly reflected in one of my posts, a couple back

Second: It would be strain dependant. If the strain is right for you, then the consistency would be the same if you grew your own. Basil is Basil. oregano is Oregano, within those there are certain varietals, but the crop will still the same. That's the beauty of botany, selective breeding and cloning.

I also agree, buying off the street would be my last choice, I would MUCH prefer to go to where I know what I am getting, know what the effects are, and get rid of any guess work.

The reasons might be:

I would add that
1) a synthetic alternative is designed to provide a predictable dose of the needed chemical based on the specific characteristics of the patient, such as age and weight and
2) drugs bought from random sources may be adulterated with unknown chemicals that could cause serious health problems.

First: I agree, and that is clearly reflected in one of my posts, a couple back

Second: It would be strain dependant. If the strain is right for you, then the consistency would be the same if you grew your own. Basil is Basil. oregano is Oregano, within those there are certain varietals, but the crop will still the same. That's the beauty of botany, selective breeding and cloning.

I also agree, buying off the street would be my last choice, I would MUCH prefer to go to where I know what I am getting, know what the effects are, and get rid of any guess work.

My biggest issue with medical or legal marijuana is the ability for the government getting involved.
Marijuana without government intervention has already proved to be very safe and other than the negative effects of smoke is a relatively harmless substance.
Personally I have not heard of, or known of anyone having a negative medical experience with weed. Be it purchased from a dispensary or the guy on the corner with a beer in a paper bag.

I do look to see the criminal element removed, but sometimes we get what we ask for.
Should marijuana become a cash cow for government, we very well may see the product suffer.

I prefer decriminalization. Allow the people to handle their own procuring, preparing and using of marijuana.

Just say no to big pharma!

A pretty good read here regarding the "whole plant" v pharma synthasized compounds.

owenchart.png

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize one could tailor the reaction by choosing the cannabis strain.

Medical marijuana dispensaries are able to provide specific strains for specific illness/need. This is well documented and patients know exactly the type of strain required for their needs.

I wonder if the doctor that prescribes medical marijuana has the expertise or even does recommend a certain strain for the individual patient?

I wonder if the doctor that prescribes medical marijuana has the expertise or even does recommend a certain strain for the individual patient?

Not so much the doctors, but surprisingly the budtenders at dispensaries are VERY knowledgeable. Also, sites like Leafly allow people to explore the strains based on user submitted criteria.

My kids have been on my case to smoke marijuana for the pain in my hips and spine. So far I have resisted. Mostly because I don't like the smell. But after seeing how it has helped my daughter with her chemo treatments, I am seeing the direct benefits. Even though she had been given anti-nausea medication, she reached a point where she was on the strongest dose that was safe. So she turned to the marijuana. That worked for her. She was on chemo for more than two years.

Our state has limited legalization of the marijuana for personal use. You only get a citation with a fine attached if you have so many grams on you. (I think!) But it is still illegal to sell it to others. They have also legalized it for medical reasons. Only so many licenses are being given out. Where they are to be located is still up in the air. I think I will wait until then before I even consider it.

First off I wouldn't have the slightest idea of where to get some on the street. And I know I wouldn't feel comfortable asking my kids to get some for me. :angel:

A friend and I were trying to find a marijuana connection on campus, to buy for another friend who was going through chemo. LOL! No one would sell to two middle-aged, gray-haired grannies:ROFLMAO:

I'm thinking we didn't know the right questions to ask.

The Pirate told me you just "know" and "what" to ask to ask to make a score. His words, not mine. You need to know a young person to get them for you. He is a recovering heroin addict. Been straight for five years now. But the fear never leaves you. I asked him once, if I do feel the need to take marijuana could he get it for me. He told me he has lost touch with all his 'friends' and it would take him a day or two to find it. Whereas five years ago, he could have found some in less than an hour. That was good news to hear. I guess I would have to turn to my daughter or her husband since they were buying it for her chemo. Hopefully, by that time, the dispensaries will be open. :angel:

The Pirate told me you just "know" and "what" to ask to ask to make a score. His words, not mine. You need to know a young person to get them for you. He is a recovering heroin addict. Been straight for five years now. But the fear never leaves you. I asked him once, if I do feel the need to take marijuana could he get it for me. He told me he has lost touch with all his 'friends' and it would take him a day or two to find it. Whereas five years ago, he could have found some in less than an hour. That was good news to hear. I guess I would have to turn to my daughter or her husband since they were buying it for her chemo. Hopefully, by that time, the dispensaries will be open. :angel:

This was over 15 years ago, a slightly different period in time. I am sure now I would have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom