"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #141
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
For instance, I can get the same result from a common sleep med by taking a quarter of the tablet that some people get by taking the entire tablet.
My doctor says I am a bad candidate for sleep meds like Ambien or Lunesta because I live alone, I sleep naked, and I own a convertible!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #142
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
My doctor says I am a bad candidate for sleep meds like Ambien or Lunesta because I live alone, I sleep naked, and I own a convertible!
Yup, not a good candidate...

Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #143
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
... Sparking equal controversy is a proposed change to law that allows Sunday liquor sales. ...
LOL Really? I remember having to have "3.2" beer bought for us on Sundays WAY back in the day. ;) Does that stuff still exist?

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #144
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post

LOL Really? I remember having to have "3.2" beer bought for us on Sundays WAY back in the day. ;) Does that stuff still exist?
Yes, I remember 3.2! We had to cross the border into Minnesota to get it! Otherwise, no booze on Sundays.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #145
Head Chef

Strange laws (liquor, not MM)-----In Albuquerque NM you can't buy liquor until AFTER 12 noon on Sunday. Do they have that law so no one will buy liquor to take to church??

But it does lead to long lines of people, still dressed in their go -to-church clothes at liquor stores at noon on Sunday.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #146
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Strange laws (liquor, not MM)-----In Albuquerque NM you can't buy liquor until AFTER 12 noon on Sunday. Do they have that law so no one will buy liquor to take to church??

But it does lead to long lines of people, still dressed in their go -to-church clothes at liquor stores at noon on Sunday.
Virginia didn't allow liquor sales on Sunday when we moved here in the 1980s, but that's changed and now you can from noon till 9 pm, I think. When my mom was growing up in the '50s, you could not buy liquor by the drink in restaurants - you had to buy an entire bottle from the state-run package store. It's a leftover from when more religious people were in charge of the legislatures.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #147
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When my mom was growing up in the '50s, you could not buy liquor by the drink in restaurants - you had to buy an entire bottle from the state-run package store. It's a leftover from when more religious people were in charge of the legislatures.
But--but--but----- That's one way to make more money for the liquor industry, right?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #148
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

But--but--but----- That's one way to make more money for the liquor industry, right?
I would think it would be less. Restaurants selling cocktails would be buying a lot more liquor than individuals.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #149
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I would think it would be less. Restaurants selling cocktails would be buying a lot more liquor than individuals.

I guess I'm not understanding. (Won't be the first time!)

I thought it was said:
"you could not buy liquor by the drink in restaurants - you had to buy an entire bottle from the state-run package store."

Was that just how it used to be and not now?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #150
Executive Chef

Quote:
I guess I'm not understanding. (Won't be the first time!)

I thought it was said:
"you could not buy liquor by the drink in restaurants - you had to buy an entire bottle from the state-run package store."

Was that just how it used to be and not now?
I believe it is still that way in Utah.