"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #151
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
It's a medical marijuana bill before the MN legislature. I think it passed a committee vote so far. Sparking equal controversy is a proposed change to law that allows Sunday liquor sales. A perennial favorite to kick around along with increased gambling facilities. The medical marijuana bill might just sneak through, although the otherwise liberal governor is not quite on board.
MN still has "blue laws" in place? And i thought it was only in the south where these laws were still in force?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Strange laws (liquor, not MM)-----In Albuquerque NM you can't buy liquor until AFTER 12 noon on Sunday. Do they have that law so no one will buy liquor to take to church??
But it does lead to long lines of people, still dressed in their go -to-church clothes at liquor stores at noon on Sunday.
When I first moved here from Florida, I was surprised on a Sunday trying to buy beer for a cookout. No alcohol sales of any kind on Sundays.
Now, there are several counties that allow alcohol sales in restaurants, but not in stores.
When i lived in Fl. you had to wait until 12 pm to buy any alcohol.

You can buy cigarettes on Sundays, but until just recently you could not buy a pair of socks.
Little by little, thanks to all the transplants, a normal existence can be had in these parts.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #152
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
You can buy cigarettes on Sundays, but until just recently you could not buy a pair of socks.
What???? Where???? And-----WHY??????

Old 03-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #153
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am very confused. I am not trying to give you a hard time Addie. I promise. I just don't understand what this has to do with anything being discussed here. Could you enlighten me? The first time I read this I wondered if this was a post that was supposed to be in a completely different thread about a completely different subject.
Taxes on unreported income such as the sale of Marijuana.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #154
Chief Eating Officer

I still don't understand what collecting bottles for the deposit they get back has to do with marijuana. I must be missing your point.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #155
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Addie is likening the income made on returnables as unreported income, I believe. Somehow I don't think that income is as high as the illegal sale of marijuana.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #156
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks. I'll check a couple sources I have, too.
I hadn't heard of it in my area, but that's nothing new.

Yeah, but are you willing to share your supply with your dog?

(just kidding, of course!)
Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #157
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I guess I'm not understanding. (Won't be the first time!)

I thought it was said:
"you could not buy liquor by the drink in restaurants - you had to buy an entire bottle from the state-run package store."

Was that just how it used to be and not now?
I said when my mom was growing up in the '50s, you could not buy liquor by the drink. That changed a long time ago - I don't know when. You can buy all kinds of fancy cocktails now
Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #158
Executive Chef

Quote:
What???? Where???? And-----WHY??????

Cave, I think Roll Bones was referring to when no stores were open on Sundays by law, so you couldn't buy anything, such as socks. But he said "until recently" and that was way back.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #159
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Cave, I think Roll Bones was referring to when no stores were open on Sundays by law, so you couldn't buy anything, such as socks. But he said "until recently" and that was way back.
Oh. Well, that makes sense, of a sort. I can remember when most stores weren't open on Sunday in St. Louis but I don't think it was the law.
Just tradition. Maybe.

Although I welcomed the idea of being able to shop on Sunday I'm not sure I like it because of what it means. However, with the advent of more women working------ it certainly makes sense and I understand it.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #160
Head Chef

The more I thought about that post saying you couldn't buy socks on Sunday the more I laughed. I see that the OP had said 'such as' but I ignored that.

Instead my mind went to those dumb laws (some of which are still on the books!) like "Men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women."

Visions of being able to buy a shirt or blouse but no socks danced in my head.