"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

The only downside, or hindrance, I can see to them legalizing pot (hey, it's easier to type) across the board is they are practically trying to outlaw cigarettes. To legalize something else we can breathe into our lungs seems counterproductive to their efforts with "regular" smoking.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That said, I think they should legalize marijuana across the board. Look what prohibition did. I still can't believe there are dry counties. But I can't believe a program about making moonshine is right either.
Legalize it, let the gov't set up their restrictions and get their cut and call it a day.

And I also read it helped control seizures. And treated the effects of concussions. That can only be a good thing.
Seems to be going in that direction for a lot of things. Without even getting into philosophical discussions about universal health care, my payment goes from my wallet and to the Health Connector...who then notifies my provider that the monthly premium has been paid. I see a "cut" in there somewhere!

OT but...speaking of seizures, how has Pierce been doing? Hmm, maybe your doggy would be helped by the canine version of "Special Brownies".

Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...OT but...speaking of seizures, how has Pierce been doing? Hmm, maybe your doggy would be helped by the canine version of "Special Brownies".
OT, but if he could be helped I might even consider second hand smoke

Seizures, it's complicated.
The meds really screwed him up, so I took him off, he was fine for a couple weeks, then had two in a 24 hr period (not good), so I put him back on at a lower dose than the vet said. So far so good, but he's not the same dog. Better than he was at the higher dose though. At least he can walk now and isn't peeing inside anymore.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It looks like some are trying the pot capsules for their pets who are going through cancer treatment, with promising results. No formal studies yet though.

A friend's young adult son had been depressed and suicidal for several years. Antidepressants had no effect. He moved to Colorado, obtained a MM license, and is a new kid, functioning, going to college. My friend can't believe the change.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Master Chef

It's ok with me if this subject seems to be fair game, so here's my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
The only downside, or hindrance, I can see to them legalizing pot (hey, it's easier to type) across the board is they are practically trying to outlaw cigarettes. To legalize something else we can breathe into our lungs seems counterproductive to their efforts with "regular" smoking.
As much as the non smoking public would like it, tobacco will never be outlawed because of the $$ it brings in from taxes. Now that revenue is dwindling, legal taxable pot is here to stay and replace the loss, pure and simple.
Colorado State budget writers project $1 billion in pot sales next year, and from that the state will make an estimated 134 million dollars in taxes.
I see no reason not to make it legal in every state. Medical marijuana should have always been legal !

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Pac I read somewhere that pot was being used to help canines with seizure activity ... can't recall where I read that but will try to find something to pass on to you.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Pac I read somewhere that pot was being used to help canines with seizure activity ... can't recall where I read that but will try to find something to pass on to you.
Thanks. I'll check a couple sources I have, too.
I hadn't heard of it in my area, but that's nothing new.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
Head Chef

From my stint in the bar industry I can 100% say that serving a pothead is much more pleasant experience than a drunk. ;) It applies equally to life outside of the bar as well.

Decriminalize, regulate and let everyone make their own decisions on whether they choose to partake or not on a recreational level.

There should be no barriers (state or federal) if it is being used for medicinal purposes. And if ripping on a bong before bed helps you fall asleep better at night, I'd categorize that as medicine.

I've seen first-hand what a difference the "butter" can make in a cancer patient's life. Ingesting the marijuana helped alleviate some of the horrific side effects of chemo such as nausea and could help whet the appetite.

All in all, I like where this is heading. I personally don't partake - but I most certainly would like the option to do so legally if I ever needed to (per a doctor's suggestion) or wanted to.

Interesting times, aren't they?

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Medical marijuana is legal in Canada.

But there are limitations, e.g., this Mounty wasn't allowed to smoke pot in uniform: Pot-smoking Mountie can't smoke publicly in uniform: RCMP - Ottawa - CBC News
Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Executive Chef

One enterprising girl scout, Danielle Lei, set up her cookie stand outside a Medical Marijuana dispensary in San Francisco. She sold 117 boxes in less than two hours. Smart people, these Chinese.