"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #201
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What you have is a hypothesis based on a sample size of one - yourself -
That's called a 'testimonial' and is often used as proof. But it's not.

A thousand testimonials by a thousand different people may be better but only slightly---- but only if the study-of-one can be replicated several times.
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #202
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

That's called a 'testimonial' and is often used as proof. But it's not.
Yes, I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
A thousand testimonials by a thousand different people may be better but only slightly---- but only if the study-of-one can be replicated several times.
Not sure what you mean by this. A thousand testimonials isn't a study.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #203
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Like I said friends, its an opinion garnered from personal learning experiences, and my personal use of M.
Coincidentally all three drugs I mentioned above have the ability to get you high and all three have the ability to help with pain.
IMO, it would be a disservice to dismiss this hypothesis.

For the record, I support M in all forms and uses. My opinion is not intended to shed any negative light on M.

Oh, by the way. Has anyone watched any of the programs I posted links to?
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #204
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
IMO, it would be a disservice to dismiss this hypothesis.
.
Why? The hypothesis has already proven to be incorrect. As I stated, there are plenty of pot smokers who use every day for pain management and don't get high. That alone disproves the hypothesis. However there are tons of scientists whose job it has been to find the reason marijuana is so effective at pain management who are all in agreement that there are many many many things at play there and you will not find any of them saying it is from being "high".
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #205
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Why? The hypothesis has already proven to be incorrect. As I stated, there are plenty of pot smokers who use every day for pain management and don't get high. That alone disproves the hypothesis. However there are tons of scientists whose job it has been to find the reason marijuana is so effective at pain management who are all in agreement that there are many many many things at play there and you will not find any of them saying it is from being "high".
I also know people that smoke for various reasons with getting high as the number one reason. I also know from personal experience that continued use of M does not make one less susceptible to getting high.
To dismiss the possibility that the chemicals that cause the "high" is what is doing all these magical and wonderful things is just being silly.
Does it really matter, if it is working for the individual. Does it matter if the patient gets high? Is there an issue with the term "high"?

I am in agreement that many factors and chemicals play into MM ability to help with certain illness and pain. But are we to dismiss THC? We both know what THC does. The only thing we do not know is the extent of what it can do. I must assume therein lies your point?

I know two MM users that still get high even though they have been smoking and ingesting edibles for years now. In fact, they would not waste their money, time and possibilty of going to jail, if MM did not provide them with something. Getting high may not be the priority, but getting high is not optional. People that smoke or ingest M get stoned. It is as simple as that.

There is no proof that the THC is not responsible for pain relief. So the hypothesis is still just that. A hypothesis.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #206
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
You have completely misunderstood just about everything I have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I also know people that smoke for various reasons with getting high as the number one reason.
No one ever said anything to the contrary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones
I also know from personal experience that continued use of M does not make one less susceptible to getting high.
So because you have not seen a change in your tolerance that means no one has? I know plenty of people who have personal experience that says they HAVE gained a tolerance. And I know plenty of people who use regularly and if they take one hit to cure a headache they are not necessarily getting high from it. Because you might get high from one hit are you saying everyone else must get high from one hit too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones
To dismiss the possibility that the chemicals that cause the "high" is what is doing all these magical and wonderful things is just being silly.
i could not agree more. I never did that. To the contrary, I said that there are hundreds of compounds in pot and no one, even the hundreds of scientists who have studied it, know exactly why it help with pain. You have said that it is because it gets you high and that if it didn't get you high then it wouldn't help your pain. Who is dismissing what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones
Does it really matter, if it is working for the individual. Does it matter if the patient gets high?
Who ever said there was an issue with getting high? I am all for people being able to get high if they want, but that is a completely different discussion. Again, you had said it was the high that was responsible for the pain relief and without being high you would not gain the pain relieving effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones
Is there an issue with the term "high"?
In the context of proving what does and does not cause the pain relieving properties, yes, I do have an issue with the term. How can you quantify or even define what "high" is. I have seen two people share a join and one say he was baked out of his mind and the other person say they were not even close to that. In a scientific setting you need to be able to measure and quantify. Did both people feel the same effect? Who knows? Maybe they did, but what high meant to one was not what high meant to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones
I am in agreement that many factors and chemicals play into MM ability to help with certain illness and pain. But are we to dismiss THC?
Who ever dismissed THC? Not me. You seem to think that THC has one sole function. That it gets you high. Yes THC is at least partially responsible for getting you high. The point I was making is that you have no idea what else that THC is doing not only by itself, but also in conjunction with the hundreds of other active compounds in pot.
[QUOTE=Roll_Bones] We both know what THC does. The only thing we do not know is the extent of what it can do. [QUOTE=Roll_Bones]No we both do not know what THC does. We know one thing THC does. We do NOT the rest of the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones
People that smoke or ingest M get stoned. It is as simple as that.
Wrong. Some people that use M get stoned. There are others that do not. You have already agreed that pot with high CBD and low or no THC does not get people stoned so you have already contradicted yourself there, but putting that aside, as I mentioned before, just because you do not have a tolerance does not mean others do not. If it takes someone 3 or 4 hits to feel the affects as far as being high and they take one hit to cure a headache then they are still using pot and they are not getting stoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones
There is no proof that the THC is not responsible for pain relief. So the hypothesis is still just that. A hypothesis.
Your hypothesis was not that THC is not responsible for pain relief. Your hypothesis was that without getting high there would be no pain relief. The two things are not even remotely the same.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #207
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not sure what you mean by this. A thousand testimonials isn't a study.
Yes, I know.

Using one testimonial or a thousand testimonials is still the same as that song "Nothing Times Nothing is Nothing"
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #208
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm reminded of something I read once, "The plural of anecdote is not data."
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #209
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
But anecdotal stories can cause research....
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #210
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
But anecdotal stories can cause research....
Yes, that's what it's good for.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.