"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #271
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
A pretty good read here regarding the "whole plant" v pharma synthasized compounds.

This isn't exactly an unbiased source of information. They're running a contest to win a year's worth of medical marijuana

Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #272
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the link. I didn't realize one could tailor the reaction by choosing the cannabis strain.
Medical marijuana dispensaries are able to provide specific strains for specific illness/need. This is well documented and patients know exactly the type of strain required for their needs.

I wonder if the doctor that prescribes medical marijuana has the expertise or even does recommend a certain strain for the individual patient?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #273
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I wonder if the doctor that prescribes medical marijuana has the expertise or even does recommend a certain strain for the individual patient?
Not so much the doctors, but surprisingly the budtenders at dispensaries are VERY knowledgeable. Also, sites like Leafly allow people to explore the strains based on user submitted criteria.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #274
Chef Extraordinaire

My kids have been on my case to smoke marijuana for the pain in my hips and spine. So far I have resisted. Mostly because I don't like the smell. But after seeing how it has helped my daughter with her chemo treatments, I am seeing the direct benefits. Even though she had been given anti-nausea medication, she reached a point where she was on the strongest dose that was safe. So she turned to the marijuana. That worked for her. She was on chemo for more than two years.

Our state has limited legalization of the marijuana for personal use. You only get a citation with a fine attached if you have so many grams on you. (I think!) But it is still illegal to sell it to others. They have also legalized it for medical reasons. Only so many licenses are being given out. Where they are to be located is still up in the air. I think I will wait until then before I even consider it.

First off I wouldn't have the slightest idea of where to get some on the street. And I know I wouldn't feel comfortable asking my kids to get some for me.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #275
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A friend and I were trying to find a marijuana connection on campus, to buy for another friend who was going through chemo. LOL! No one would sell to two middle-aged, gray-haired grannies
Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #276
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
A friend and I were trying to find a marijuana connection on campus, to buy for another friend who was going through chemo. LOL! No one would sell to two middle-aged, gray-haired grannies
Well, that's just plain silly. I can't imagine they thought you were narcs.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #277
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, that's just plain silly. I can't imagine they thought you were narcs.
I'm thinking we didn't know the right questions to ask.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #278
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Here's an article about an odd quirk of the law that allows medical marijuana in Canada:

Health Canada Rules Require Liam McKnight, Child With Epilepsy, To Smoke Marijuana

"Under Health Canada’s Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulations, by-products of the drug – such as oils and baked goods – are prohibited."

Old 07-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm thinking we didn't know the right questions to ask.
The Pirate told me you just "know" and "what" to ask to ask to make a score. His words, not mine. You need to know a young person to get them for you. He is a recovering heroin addict. Been straight for five years now. But the fear never leaves you. I asked him once, if I do feel the need to take marijuana could he get it for me. He told me he has lost touch with all his 'friends' and it would take him a day or two to find it. Whereas five years ago, he could have found some in less than an hour. That was good news to hear. I guess I would have to turn to my daughter or her husband since they were buying it for her chemo. Hopefully, by that time, the dispensaries will be open.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #280
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The Pirate told me you just "know" and "what" to ask to ask to make a score. His words, not mine. You need to know a young person to get them for you. He is a recovering heroin addict. Been straight for five years now. But the fear never leaves you. I asked him once, if I do feel the need to take marijuana could he get it for me. He told me he has lost touch with all his 'friends' and it would take him a day or two to find it. Whereas five years ago, he could have found some in less than an hour. That was good news to hear. I guess I would have to turn to my daughter or her husband since they were buying it for her chemo. Hopefully, by that time, the dispensaries will be open.
This was over 15 years ago, a slightly different period in time. I am sure now I would have no problems.