"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #291
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Yes, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You have no way of knowing what is in those "vapor pipes". E-cigs can contain either pot or legal e-cig juice and would look exactly the same from the outside.
Here in AZ, there is a HUGE difference in appearance between the two.
As TATTRAT mentioned, pakalolo (crazy weed literal translation in Hawaiian) is highly regulated.
Were we live, there are loads of users, I mean poor souls who suffer from all sorts of ailments who need relief and I get that, I support that, but the thing is, why are you smoking while you're driving? That's called DUI and in some cases could cause a serious motor vehicle accident... can't you wait until you get home? and why would you smoke MJ on the road? If you're in pain you should let someone else drive at least, don't you think?
Funny, in Hawaii, social smoking is quite common and "Ain't no big ting braddah" as the late-great Don Ho would say... "Suck 'Em Up!" .. but I digress, sorry ...
okay, I'll get off my soap box now..

Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #292
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Here in AZ, there is a HUGE difference in appearance between the two.
You might think so, but you would be wrong. These vapes are not state specific. You can buy any kind you like in any state you like. E-cigs are a HUGE market and there is absolutely no way of knowing, just by looking at the device, what is being vaped. It could be e-cig juice or it could be pot (in many different forms), but no one would be able to tell, but by looking at the device what was being vaped. That would be akin to looking at a a coffee cup with a lid on it and knowing whether it was coffee or water or coke or something else inside. The vaporizor is just the vessel. You can load it with a variety of substances.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #293
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Not so much the doctors, but surprisingly the budtenders at dispensaries are VERY knowledgeable. Also, sites like Leafly allow people to explore the strains based on user submitted criteria.
Yes, I understand they do know their stuff, but they are not doctors either.
Since medical marijuana needs to be prescribed or permission granted by a physician, why would they not be the one to decide what kind or what potency?

I guess my point is a doctor must write out a prescription and it must be detailed in quantity, type and milligrams for a certain RX drug for example.

When a doctor prescribes or recommends marijuana, would it not be beneficial to the patient if the doctor recommended what the patient needs in writing just like they do with a regular RX. Not what the guy at the dispensary advises?
I guess at this point, the dude down at the dispensary knows more than our doctors do.
I see this changing to. Maybe soon enough our doctors will be taught/trained in prescribing and or recommending MM.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #294
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I get a 'script from a doctor, I don't bother asking about what I can and can't eat or drink with it, etc. I ask the pharmacist.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #295
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Yes, I understand they do know their stuff, but they are not doctors either.
Since medical marijuana needs to be prescribed or permission granted by a physician, why would they not be the one to decide what kind or what potency?
Because they are not the experts in this case and they know to defer to the actual experts. Marijuana medicine is not the same as other pharmaceutical medicines and to paint them in the same light just because they have the term "medicine" attached is wrong. Thankfully doctors understand that.

A doctor prescribes pot for many different reasons such as pain control, appetite help, depression, etc. There are thousands of varieties of pot. But for the most part they can all have a positive effect on the patient. Some will work better for others though, but it is just a matter of degree.
It is similar to a doctor prescribing Tylenol, but the pharmacist recommending a generic version.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #296
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I get a 'script from a doctor, I don't bother asking about what I can and can't eat or drink with it, etc. I ask the pharmacist.
But your doctor writes the script with all the information regarding the filling of the script. What type of drug. How to administer the drug. The dosage and the strength ect.....
This was my point.

I will ask again. Should medical doctors that prescribe MM know enough about it to specify the strain or potency of the MM he prescribes or recommends?

I do understand that when this drug becomes completely legal for consenting adults, this will eliminate the need for a doctor "in the know".

I am also under the assumption that doctors only recommend MM and that might be why they need no extra training as far as prescribing or recommending MM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #297
Chief Eating Officer

A doctor will prescribe physical therapy to a patient, but it is the physical therapist who will determine the exercises the patient should do. Same sort of thing RB.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #298
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
A doctor will prescribe physical therapy to a patient, but it is the physical therapist who will determine the exercises the patient should do. Same sort of thing RB.

Yes, but a pharmacist doesn't determine which medicines to prescribe. He just dispenses those the Dr. indicates.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #299
Chef Extraordinaire

Doctors have to get continuing education credits every year in order to maintain their licenses. I imagine that any doctor who prescribes MM will have undergone training on its application in their specialty.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #300
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, but a pharmacist doesn't determine which medicines to prescribe. He just dispenses those the Dr. indicates.
Yes, but with Med Marijuana things are very much a grey area. It is not the same as other medicines. Just the method of administration alone is so different. How many other medicines are smoked (not that that is the only way to take med m)?

If a patient needs pot to battle the effects of chemo on their appetite, for example, then it does not matter if they use OG Kush or Purple Haze or this or that. They will all have the same effect on the patient to varying degrees. I am speaking in generalities of course. There are exceptions. But that is what the budtender is for. As for dosage, it depends on method of administering the drug. If it is smoked or vaped then the patient uses as much as they need until they feel the desired effects. It is not like swallowing a pill that you can OD on. The doctor does not tell you how tight to wrap the ace bandage. You wrap it so that your affected area feels better. Same with pot. If you have no appetite you take a hit of pot. If you still have no appetite you take another hit. Continue until you feel hungry. You will not OD as it is impossible to OD on pot.

CBD heavy pot is the exception, but any doctor worth his degree will absolutely tell their patient that they need pot with more CBD if that is why they are prescribing it. Those are very rare cases though and the doctor would absolutely know and talk about that specifically and not leave it to the budtender. However as long as they get CBD heavy pot then the strin does not matter. It is all personal preference at that point.