Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the animal is being poisoned, would the vet be within his rights to report the owner for animal abuse? Just a thought.

If a dog accidentally consumed to much alcohol, would the owner be charged with a crime?

About the amount of tax charged, that was one of the things that got it legalized in the first place. The proponents all said the amount of tax charged would go a long way in helping the financial crisis become less dire.

As far as the govt listing it as illegal yet having a tax system in place, do not forget that it is legal in the state but still illegal federally. Two different systems. Also, do not forget that it is still in the itsy bitsy beginning stages of its infancy. It has only been legal in the state for less than 2 month.

I get it GB. Money does the talking.

As far as taxes go. The local sale tax has zero to do with the federal taxes owed on an illegal product. I should have been more clear in my post.
I can see how local taxes allowed this to become a reality. No tax income, no legal pot.

But how can the federal government say this is illegal, yet require federal income taxes be paid on the illegal product?
The government is collecting money from these folks, but then turn around and say its illegal.
But yet the feds require and accept the money.
This is the point. If its illegal, then why do they require and collect tax from this product?

Anyway, watch the show if you get a chance. You then can see what I am trying to write.

Last edited:
If the animal is being poisoned, would the vet be within his rights to report the owner for animal abuse? Just a thought.

I don't believe so as it is (supposedly) unintentional.
If it could be proven that it was done on purpose... maybe... Tough call as dogs (fortunately) are still considered property, so it's not like if your three year old kid got into your stash or you gave your kid too many laced brownies.

If a dog accidentally consumed to much alcohol, would the owner be charged with a crime?

I get it GB. Money does the talking.

As far as taxes go. The local sale tax has zero to do with the federal taxes owed on an illegal product. I should have been more clear in my post.
I can see how local taxes allowed this to become a reality. No tax income, no legal pot.

But how can the federal government say this is illegal, yet require federal income taxes be paid on the illegal product?
The government is collecting money from these folks, but then turn around and say its illegal.
But yet the feds require and accept the money.
This is the point. If its illegal, then why do they require and collect tax from this product?

Anyway, watch the show if you get a chance. You then can see what I am trying to write.
Just playing devils advocate here, but why shouldn't the government be able to tax something just because the person taxing it is breaking the law?

Here there's what's called a Drug Tax Stamp. Anyone busted for illegal drugs is also charged with not purchasing a stamp for their illegal drugs. Which makes absolutely no sense.

Here there's what's called a Drug Tax Stamp. Anyone busted for illegal drugs is also charged with not purchasing a stamp for their illegal drugs. Which makes absolutely no sense.
I do not agree with the practice as I think it should be legal, but why does it not make sense. The person breaking the law has the ability to purchase the stamp and pay the taxes on the drugs. If the stamps were not available for purchase then I would agree it makes no sense.

I do not agree with the practice as I think it should be legal, but why does it not make sense. The person breaking the law has the ability to purchase the stamp and pay the taxes on the drugs. If the stamps were not available for purchase then I would agree it makes no sense.

It amuses me that someone would be expected to go to the courthouse and request to purchase a drug tax stamp for their illegal coke and such. Like that wouldn't be a red flag :LOL:

Just playing devils advocate here, but why shouldn't the government be able to tax something just because the person taxing it is breaking the law?

Because by accepting proceeds from an illegal transaction is party to the transaction. If that makes any sense. :LOL:

Similar to the banks position regarding accepting funds from M businesses.
The local government has told the banks not to worry and to allow electronic transfers. But the bank, knowing the federal law, refuses to put themselves into a position they can avoid, by not accepting or allowing electronic transactions.

In the US there was something like this many years ago. The stamp was required, but anyone with half a brain knew if they tried to access the stamp, they would be arrested.
I remember reading about this stamp, but my knowledge is not good enough to really make any comments regarding it. I just don't know the history well enough.

Because by accepting proceeds from an illegal transaction is party to the transaction. If that makes any sense. :LOL:
They are not accepting proceeds from an illegal transaction. They are taxing the illegal transaction and accepting the taxes. There is a difference. Granted it is almost just a case of semantics, but just almost.

That Federal Stamp is the same one for any smoking product. :angel:

A number of years ago our brilliant State listed what income was taxable including the sale of "illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia. Brilliant folks that run this state. :angel:

A number of years ago our brilliant State listed what income was taxable including the sale of "illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia. Brilliant folks that run this state. :angel:
What do you mean by this statement?

Income tax is set up to make money off of money people earn. Why shouldn't they get tax on something that is illegally sold? The only difference is that the person selling the drugs is doing it illegally. Why should they get a free pass on paying taxes for the sole reason that they are breaking the law?

What do you mean by this statement?

Income tax is set up to make money off of money people earn. Why shouldn't they get tax on something that is illegally sold? The only difference is that the person selling the drugs is doing it illegally. Why should they get a free pass on paying taxes for the sole reason that they are breaking the law?
When I worked for H&R Block I had a client who admitted that he sold marijuana. He listed the income as "other income". He didn't want to get caught cheating on his taxes or trying to explain how he could live well with no income.

When I worked for H&R Block I had a client who admitted that he sold marijuana. He listed the income as "other income". He didn't want to get caught cheating on his taxes or trying to explain how he could live well with no income.
Well..... I'm sure he still "cheated" by not reporting 100% of what he actually made... wouldn't anyone? LOL..

Are you being sarcastic roadfix or are you being serious. If you are being serious then why do you think he would go through the trouble of reporting it if he was just then going to turn around and cheat? If you were being sarcastic then as Rosanne Rosanadana said....Nevermind.

Yeah, why report any of it? Either way if you get caught your are having all your assets seized. Might as well not pay taxes on any of it.

There are certain folks who do nothing but go through folks garbage to find tossed bottle and containers that have a deposit on them. They make a good income from them. Yesterday was Thursday, our trash day and sure enough, there they were in the freezing cold looking for empties. These folks know what day is trash day in which neighborhood. In the summer they really make a killing. Folks can't be bothered bring the empties back to the store, so they just toss them.

There is a recycle place about three blocks from where I live. Since there is no trash pickup on the weekends, come Monday morning, you see a lineup of the shopping carts outside wanting to collect their money. :angel:

Yeah, why report any of it? Either way if you get caught your are having all your assets seized. Might as well not pay taxes on any of it.
Because some people believe that even though pot is illegal that it should not be and in every other area of their life they follow the law and consider themselves law abiding citizens. They believe in their bones that pot should be legal, but it is not (except for CO and WA). They want to continue to be good law abiding citizens so they pay taxes on what the govt says they should. Just because they break one law does not mean that they want to break others.

Last edited:
There are certain folks who do nothing but go through folks garbage to find tossed bottle and containers that have a deposit on them. They make a good income from them. Yesterday was Thursday, our trash day and sure enough, there they were in the freezing cold looking for empties. These folks know what day is trash day in which neighborhood. In the summer they really make a killing. Folks can't be bothered bring the empties back to the store, so they just toss them.

There is a recycle place about three blocks from where I live. Since there is no trash pickup on the weekends, come Monday morning, you see a lineup of the shopping carts outside wanting to collect their money. :angel:
I am very confused. I am not trying to give you a hard time Addie. I promise. I just don't understand what this has to do with anything being discussed here. Could you enlighten me? The first time I read this I wondered if this was a post that was supposed to be in a completely different thread about a completely different subject.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom