"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I know that it isn't for everyone and since it has been illegal for so long, it is a very taboo thing. Times they are a changing, and in my opinion, it's about time.
Marijuana in America: Colorado Pot Rush

A new show about Colorado's legal marijuana.
I watched it last night and enjoyed it. But this is about legal M, not medical M.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Legal M has been wreaking havoc to Colorado's veterinarians... or I should say their patients. Lots of dogs getting into their owners' stash, especially the edible variety. Maybe things were better for all involved when they had to keep it hidden

Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Legal M has been wreaking havoc to Colorado's veterinarians... or I should say their patients. Lots of dogs getting into their owners' stash, especially the edible variety. Maybe things were better for all involved when they had to keep it hidden
What happens to the dogs?

My first cat would steal pot from my visitors if it was where he could get at it. He just ate a bit of it and mellowed out.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds like careless owners. If you can keep your chocolate and raisins out of your dog's reach, why not your stash?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #75
Chief Eating Officer

It sounds to me like it is the media sensationalizing it at its best. I would be very surprised if the fact that it is now legal there has anything to do with this happening. People have been smoking and eating it forever. Now that it is legal they are not just leaving it laying around out in the open any more than before. Dogs have been getting into stashes before it was legal. The media is just reporting on it more now because pot is the big news story in CO now.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #76
Executive Chef

I did not know it could hurt animals? If thats the case, keep it away from them.

There is much debate about legal, medical and decriminalization, and all have their talking points.
I watched the show and was nauseated at the tax they were charging! Almost 40%!!! It was either 32% or 37%.
This alone makes me feel like legalization is not the answer.

They interviewed an illegal dealer incognito and he made mention of the disparity in his price vs the government taxed stuff at the store.

One M grower and legal supplier made the best point. He said the federal government in their infinite wisdom has M listed as illegal, yet the IRS has guidelines on how to tax the product and how to collect these taxes.
They have a system in place to collect revenue from the growing and selling of a substance they say is illegal.
Now that in a nutshell is how we operate in this country.
I don't trust them to do this right. Maybe illegal M is the best way?

One more note from the show.
Legal M distributors are having to deal with a cash only business. Banks will not allow electronic transactions. So they are spending much of their time turning cash into checks and electronic means to pay business bills.
Locally the banks were told not to be concerned, but they are smart enough to know if they accept these funds, they are breaking the law as far as the feds go.
Seems very confusing and very dangerous it seems.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll see if I have the link to the article I read. It might be on my other computer.
The jist of it was higher concentrations of THC in baked goods and the dog's smaller body size causing (besides the "normal" effects) slowed heart rate and incontinence lasting for days, as it takes them longer to expel it from their bodies. It had that Almeda vet in the article, so I imagine there was a little headline grabbing, but they said it has turned into a real problem. Enough of a problem that folks are taking their dogs to the clinics and they are treating it as toxicity poisoning.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'll see if I have the link to the article I read. It might be on my other computer.
The jist of it was higher concentrations of THC in baked goods and the dog's smaller body size causing (besides the "normal" effects) slowed heart rate and incontinence lasting for days, as it takes them longer to expel it from their bodies. It had that Almeda vet in the article, so I imagine there was a little headline grabbing, but they said it has turned into a real problem. Enough of a problem that folks are taking their dogs to the clinics and they are treating it as toxicity poisoning.
If the animal is being poisoned, would the vet be within his rights to report the owner for animal abuse? Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #79
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I watched the show and was nauseated at the tax they were charging! Almost 40%!!! It was either 32% or 37%.
This alone makes me feel like legalization is not the answer.

One M grower and legal supplier made the best point. He said the federal government in their infinite wisdom has M listed as illegal, yet the IRS has guidelines on how to tax the product and how to collect these taxes.
They have a system in place to collect revenue from the growing and selling of a substance they say is illegal.
Now that in a nutshell is how we operate in this country.
I don't trust them to do this right. Maybe illegal M is the best way?
About the amount of tax charged, that was one of the things that got it legalized in the first place. The proponents all said the amount of tax charged would go a long way in helping the financial crisis become less dire.

As far as the govt listing it as illegal yet having a tax system in place, do not forget that it is legal in the state but still illegal federally. Two different systems. Also, do not forget that it is still in the itsy bitsy beginning stages of its infancy. It has only been legal in the state for less than 2 month.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #80
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If the animal is being poisoned, would the vet be within his rights to report the owner for animal abuse? Just a thought.
Only if the animal is intentionally being poisoned. Would you have the same question if instead of pot we were talking about chocolate, which is even more dangerous to a dog?