Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am against drugs. M. is a gate drug. I understand and do know how it helps people. Let medical companies make a derivatives from it in a form of a pill so people can take it.

I love you Charlie and respect your opinion in ways people here will never know. On this topic I completely disagree with you (respectfully of course).

I think that "gateway" drug is not really a real thing in many cases. Yes pot is the first illegal drug many try before trying other drugs. If it were legal in the first place would it still be a gateway to other drugs? Many people try pot, realize that they have been told lies about it for years (reefer madness anyone?) and start to put two and two together and think hey if everything I have been told about pot I have now seen first hand to be a lie what about other things? Maybe coke is not as bad as they say. Maybe xyz does not do what they say.

As for medical companies making a derivative, they have tried and tried and tried. If they could have done it they would have. They, at this point, have not come up with anything even remotely close to what the actual plant does. It is a great idea for them to do that. Hopefully one day they are able to do it, but then of course you will see drug companies charging $1,000 a pill for something that someone could grow for free in thier home just to make a profit of sick and dying patients.

Well, I'm not going to argue with anybody. My views are very conservative, though they were not always that conservative. I've done many things in life I am not proud about and see today that I could have been better of without. That includes MM. Because, really, smoking pot in Soviet Army should be considered medicinal purpose. Years that it took to quit afterwards don't count.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I love you Charlie and respect your opinion in ways people here will never know. On this topic I completely disagree with you (respectfully of course).

I think that "gateway" drug is not really a real thing in many cases. Yes pot is the first illegal drug many try before trying other drugs. If it were legal in the first place would it still be a gateway to other drugs? Many people try pot, realize that they have been told lies about it for years (reefer madness anyone?) and start to put two and two together and think hey if everything I have been told about pot I have now seen first hand to be a lie what about other things? Maybe coke is not as bad as they say. Maybe xyz does not do what they say.

As for medical companies making a derivative, they have tried and tried and tried. If they could have done it they would have. They, at this point, have not come up with anything even remotely close to what the actual plant does. It is a great idea for them to do that. Hopefully one day they are able to do it, but then of course you will see drug companies charging $1,000 a pill for something that someone could grow for free in thier home just to make a profit of sick and dying patients.
Well said GB.

They lied about heroin too. I'm not saying anyone should use heroin or that it isn't addictive, but the studies that showed it to be extremely addictive were flawed. A study referred to as "Rat Park" showed that rats that could interact with other rats, would do that rather than continue consuming morphine, even the ones who had withdrawal symptoms.

I also must respectfully disagree with the "gateway" comments.

Many people have used marijuana in their youth and never used other drugs. I was not one of them. I used whatever drugs my friends were using with zero regard to what it was.
Had it been heroin, would that have been considered a gateway drug to marijuana? Cocaine to heroin? Which one is the "gateway" in this scenario?

Its all a play on words that have been fostered by those that have little clue as to what the truth is.

We have been taught these words like "gateway" and many others like it by the ones that stand to make the most money by disseminating lies and scaring people.

Imagine what would happen to all the jobs in the US and the world if all drugs were legal? Law enforcement and the "recovery" folks would all be hunting new jobs with zero job skills.
This in my opinion is the reason drugs are not legal. We have built a society especially in the US that makes illegal drug users a money tree.
Bust them, imprison them, fine them and make them go to rehab where a 30 day stay could easily top $50,000.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but i know way too many people who died using heroin, so allow me to strongly disagree about that.

I'm sorry, but i know way too many people who died using heroin, so allow me to strongly disagree about that.

That was not my point.

If I started using heroin in my youth, before marijuana, would heroin be the gateway drug?

In no way did I compare heroin's killing capability to marijuanas lack of killing capability. What I did was put heroin first to see if it could be also called a gateway drug?

Play on words Charlie. Words made up by anti drug forces in the late 60's.

For the record. I know several people that have died from drug overdose.
I can count at least 4 people from my immediate neighborhood that are now dead.
Very young people with whole lives in front of them.
None died from smoking marijuana. Heroin and barbiturates sadly being the killers.

Last edited:
I have a hard time viewing med pot as a gateway drug. By the time folks are considering this option, they've generally been down more traditional treatment options including prescription (and often very addictive) pain meds. The majority of MedPot users I've known are simply trying to improve their lives by managing disease or pain and have exhausted other avenues.

I have two friends that benefited greatly from pot, not legal pot...

One had major back pain, she couldn't sleep, and there was no comfortable position. Her pain meds weren't really doing anything but make her loopy. She was visiting some friends and one mentioned, pot. She had never tried it in her life, and didn't really want to, but was desperate. The pot made her more comfortable than she had been in months. She has since had back surgery and no longer needs the pot. She didn't get addicted and doubts that she'll smoke it again unless she really needs it.

Another had gastric bypass surgery a couple years ago. Even today she'll have bouts of uncontrollable nausea and dry heaving. Pot is the only thing that will curb the nausea and stop the dry heaves. She doesn't even need to get high, only a couple puffs and she's good to go. Again she's not addicted, has no desire to smoke it unless she gets sick.

When my dad was dying of cancer and in a lot of pain, the neighbors would bring him some and enjoy it with him, it was the one thing that curbed the pain.

I know that it isn't for everyone and since it has been illegal for so long, it is a very taboo thing. Times they are a changing, and in my opinion, it's about time.

So glad your dad's pain was eased, Bakechef, and that your friends found solace as well. I would have given my mom "second hand smoke" if I could. MM should be accessible and available to everyone who needs it. As far as recreational weed, anyone can get it, so I guess I'm not so concerned about that.

If anyone has a child, parent, friend, or animal whose pain is lessened, appetite is increased, seizures reduced, even though research claims it's a sham, I think MM needs to be available and legalized.

On the other hand, when used recreationally in excess, it can lead to apathy. I had a Canadian boyfriend who had to quit smoking weed in HS, his grades dropped and he had to quit smoking. And he did.

Last edited:
Legal M has been wreaking havoc to Colorado's veterinarians... or I should say their patients. Lots of dogs getting into their owners' stash, especially the edible variety. Maybe things were better for all involved when they had to keep it hidden :cool:

Legal M has been wreaking havoc to Colorado's veterinarians... or I should say their patients. Lots of dogs getting into their owners' stash, especially the edible variety. Maybe things were better for all involved when they had to keep it hidden :cool:
What happens to the dogs?

My first cat would steal pot from my visitors if it was where he could get at it. He just ate a bit of it and mellowed out.

Sounds like careless owners. If you can keep your chocolate and raisins out of your dog's reach, why not your stash?

It sounds to me like it is the media sensationalizing it at its best. I would be very surprised if the fact that it is now legal there has anything to do with this happening. People have been smoking and eating it forever. Now that it is legal they are not just leaving it laying around out in the open any more than before. Dogs have been getting into stashes before it was legal. The media is just reporting on it more now because pot is the big news story in CO now.

I did not know it could hurt animals? If thats the case, keep it away from them.

There is much debate about legal, medical and decriminalization, and all have their talking points.
I watched the show and was nauseated at the tax they were charging! Almost 40%!!! It was either 32% or 37%.
This alone makes me feel like legalization is not the answer.

They interviewed an illegal dealer incognito and he made mention of the disparity in his price vs the government taxed stuff at the store.

One M grower and legal supplier made the best point. He said the federal government in their infinite wisdom has M listed as illegal, yet the IRS has guidelines on how to tax the product and how to collect these taxes.
They have a system in place to collect revenue from the growing and selling of a substance they say is illegal.
Now that in a nutshell is how we operate in this country.
I don't trust them to do this right. Maybe illegal M is the best way?

One more note from the show.
Legal M distributors are having to deal with a cash only business. Banks will not allow electronic transactions. So they are spending much of their time turning cash into checks and electronic means to pay business bills.
Locally the banks were told not to be concerned, but they are smart enough to know if they accept these funds, they are breaking the law as far as the feds go.
Seems very confusing and very dangerous it seems.

Last edited:
I'll see if I have the link to the article I read. It might be on my other computer.
The jist of it was higher concentrations of THC in baked goods and the dog's smaller body size causing (besides the "normal" effects) slowed heart rate and incontinence lasting for days, as it takes them longer to expel it from their bodies. It had that Almeda vet in the article, so I imagine there was a little headline grabbing, but they said it has turned into a real problem. Enough of a problem that folks are taking their dogs to the clinics and they are treating it as toxicity poisoning.

I'll see if I have the link to the article I read. It might be on my other computer.
The jist of it was higher concentrations of THC in baked goods and the dog's smaller body size causing (besides the "normal" effects) slowed heart rate and incontinence lasting for days, as it takes them longer to expel it from their bodies. It had that Almeda vet in the article, so I imagine there was a little headline grabbing, but they said it has turned into a real problem. Enough of a problem that folks are taking their dogs to the clinics and they are treating it as toxicity poisoning.

If the animal is being poisoned, would the vet be within his rights to report the owner for animal abuse? Just a thought.

I watched the show and was nauseated at the tax they were charging! Almost 40%!!! It was either 32% or 37%.
This alone makes me feel like legalization is not the answer.

One M grower and legal supplier made the best point. He said the federal government in their infinite wisdom has M listed as illegal, yet the IRS has guidelines on how to tax the product and how to collect these taxes.
They have a system in place to collect revenue from the growing and selling of a substance they say is illegal.
Now that in a nutshell is how we operate in this country.
I don't trust them to do this right. Maybe illegal M is the best way?
About the amount of tax charged, that was one of the things that got it legalized in the first place. The proponents all said the amount of tax charged would go a long way in helping the financial crisis become less dire.

As far as the govt listing it as illegal yet having a tax system in place, do not forget that it is legal in the state but still illegal federally. Two different systems. Also, do not forget that it is still in the itsy bitsy beginning stages of its infancy. It has only been legal in the state for less than 2 month.

If the animal is being poisoned, would the vet be within his rights to report the owner for animal abuse? Just a thought.
Only if the animal is intentionally being poisoned. Would you have the same question if instead of pot we were talking about chocolate, which is even more dangerous to a dog?

Back
Top Bottom