Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They've been closing a bunch of dispensaries in LA for whatever reason. A dispensary that's been in business for about 3 yrs just a couple of doors down from my shop closed for good last week. I saw a bunch of law enforcement people there as well. I hardly saw any "customers" going in there in the 3 yrs they've been there.

by all means, let's take extraordinary steps to ensure that no effective pain or nausea medication has the side effect of making the patient 'high'. it is important, after all, that we draw a line between what are acceptable and unacceptable side effects.

Last edited:
"Can you get high on MM?"

No, that was clarified in the original post. But since I think this thread needs some laughter, I will tell you.

When I saw this statement -

It seems the active chemical in marijuana, THC is not used, but another chemical BPH that the plant produces.

I was going to say that I thought that BPH was something dangerous that is found in plastic containers. After googling, I realized that is BPA, and BPH is something else altogether.

From reports regarding MM, the "high" part is what alleviates the pain. The BPH has been studied a little bit and shows promise for seizures.

THC is the active ingredient that does produce what some call a "high". It is my opinion, this state of euphoria is what lends to pain relief.
All narcotic pain medications can produce a "high" effect if enough of the medicine is introduced.
It is the "high" in my opinion and those of many professionals that produce the pain relief effect.

Some people also report negative effects from M, just as they do with other pain medications. This is because it is a pain medicine and we are just starting to find other uses for the drug.

Last edited:
From reports regarding MM, the "high" part is what alleviates the pain. The BPH has been studied a little bit and shows promise for seizures.

THC is the active ingredient that does produce what some call a "high". It is my opinion, this state of euphoria is what lends to pain relief.
All narcotic pain medications can produce a "high" effect if enough of the medicine is introduced.
It is the "high" in my opinion and those of many professionals that produce the pain relief effect.

Some people also report negative effects from M, just as they do with other pain medications. This is because it is a pain medicine and we are just starting to find other uses for the drug.
Can you site those reports that state the high is what alleviates pain? Also, you keep saying BPH, but as I mentioned before, you are using the wrong letters. It is CBD that I believe you are trying to talk about.

It is not just the high as high is just a very "fuzzy math" sort of term. No respected scientist would attribute pain relief to something as non-quantifiable as being high.

Can you site those reports that state the high is what alleviates pain? Also, you keep saying BPH, but as I mentioned before, you are using the wrong letters. It is CBD that I believe you are trying to talk about.

It is not just the high as high is just a very "fuzzy math" sort of term. No respected scientist would attribute pain relief to something as non-quantifiable as being high.

When I said reports, I meant the reports from TV shows about MM and M in general.
Sorry about the bph. Someone used it again just a couple posts back and I followed suit. CBD is the correct abbreviation.

I am no expert and can only go by what i have read, watched or heard.
IMHO, without the "high" effect, there may be no medicinal effect at all.
It is my opinion that if the "high" is removed, so will be the analgesic effect. This would not be true if CDB for seizure is the subject. It seems CDB's have no "high" effect.
I have nothing to back up this statement, but it seems common sense in this particular regard is warranted until scientific proof is made available to the public.

Narcotic pain medications have the ability to make one high. I know this as I have had several back surgeries and the pain medicine given to me at the hospital and at home during rehab made me feel like I was on top of the world.
This is why I believe that the high that comes from M, is the reason for the analgesic effect. Just as alcohol was used by our forefathers for pain management.

I'd like the URL/link to those reports also. please.

I got some info from this show. Marijuana in America: Colorado Pot Rush

And from this. Weed Country : Discovery Channel

And this. Discovery Health "Weed Wars"

I am a supporter, but by no means am I the expert.

Last edited:
When I said reports, I meant the reports from TV shows about MM and M in general.
Sorry about the bph. Someone used it again just a couple posts back and I followed suit. CBD is the correct abbreviation.

I am no expert and can only go by what i have read, watched or heard.
It is my opinion that if the "high" is removed, so will be the analgesic effect. This would not be true if CDB for seizure is the subject. It seems CDB's have no "high" effect.
I have nothing to back up this statement, but it seems common sense in this particular regard is warranted until scientific proof is made available to the public.

I got some info from this show. Marijuana in America: Colorado Pot Rush

And from this. Weed Country : Discovery Channel

And this. Discovery Health "Weed Wars"

I am a supporter, but by no means am I the expert.

Thanks for telling us where you got your information. Unfortunately TV and other media reports aren't always completely correct. (That's putting it kindly.:)) PBS may be a trifle better than the average TV channel but still.......

Wiki is also not great for information---- the big difference there is usually information at Wiki does have a list of citations (or a note "citation needed") A person then can follow the resource to see just how reliable it may be.

Needless to say MANY blogs or ads on the Internet have to be viewed with a jaundiced eye. LOL Also information given on forums.

It is my opinion that if the "high" is removed, so will be the analgesic effect.

Wouldn't common sense dictate that since the scientists that have been studying the plant have said over and over that they do not know exactly what makes it so effective as a medication that there would be no logical reason to just say it is the "high" (which is a completely un-quantifiable abstract thing anyway) is the only thing that is at work there? There are literally hundreds of compounds in marijuana that scientist have no idea how they work and what they do. Plus as you have already said, when talking about seizures, CBD, which does not get you high, is one of the compounds at work. Well all marijuana has CBD. How do you know the CBD is not doing other things other than controlling seizures?

Wouldn't common sense dictate that since the scientists that have been studying the plant have said over and over that they do not know exactly what makes it so effective as a medication that there would be no logical reason to just say it is the "high" (which is a completely un-quantifiable abstract thing anyway) is the only thing that is at work there? There are literally hundreds of compounds in marijuana that scientist have no idea how they work and what they do. Plus as you have already said, when talking about seizures, CBD, which does not get you high, is one of the compounds at work. Well all marijuana has CBD. How do you know the CBD is not doing other things other than controlling seizures?

Once more. I am not an expert and have formed my opinions from many sources including, but not limited to TV.

But lets look at my perspective for a moment.

Alcohol provides a high and has been used as a pain reliever for many years.
Opiates provide a high and are the "go to" medications for pain.
Marijuana provides a high and the pain relief and medical benefits are still being studied.

Now, this may not be a scientific statement, but looking at the list above, it seems "high" and pain relief seem to follow one another. To be the same thing.
Is it that hard to imagine the high from M is the reason for the therapeutic effect?
I am asking you, since you seem to well versed on the subject.
Enlighten me.

Last edited:
Who ever said it was high from any of those things you mentioned that does the work? As I said before, "high" is an un-quantifiable term. I know of people who use marijuana every day as medication. Their tolerance is quite high as they are daily users. if they smoke a hit of pot they do not get high, yet it still works for pain management.

You made an assumption that because you get high from certain substances AND they provide pain relief that it must be the high that does it, but that is just not reality. If that were the case then you should be able to use anything that gets you high as pain medication yet you can't. You never hear of anyone taking LSD for a bad headache. Other things that get you high actually cause you pain.

... I am no expert and can only go by what i have read, watched or heard.

Narcotic pain medications have the ability to make one high. I know this as I have had several back surgeries and the pain medicine given to me at the hospital and at home during rehab made me feel like I was on top of the world.
This is why I believe that the high that comes from M, is the reason for the analgesic effect. Just as alcohol was used by our forefathers for pain management.

What you have is a hypothesis based on a sample size of one - yourself - and no facts or evidence to back it up. That's not common sense. As GB says, there are thousands of compounds in MM that can, and probably do, have analgesic effects.

I'm not sure that knocking yourself out with alcohol qualifies as pain management. More like pain perception management.

...Now, this may not be a scientific statement, but looking at the list above, it seems "high" and pain relief seem to follow one another. To be the same thing.

A basic principle of scientific investigation is that correlation does not equal causation.

You see a correlation between two things, but now you need evidence to prove that one caused the other.

Example: I woke up this morning. Did you? You did?! Wow! Did my waking cause yours, or did your waking cause mine? Or are they unrelated?

Back
Top Bottom